Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX 6300 6500 6700 fans

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
edited October 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I’ve had a number of emails lately inquiring as to fan availability. If we can get enough takers, I’ll order another 100 fans. Maybe if everyone committed to a minimum of 4 each, we could make it happen quickly. If you have interest, contact me directly at k2cb at comcast dot net. Give me an idea of how many you want. Min of two, preferably four. Hopefully I can get the mfg to honor the same pricing as last time. I’ll report back as to whether or not we have enough participants to make another group buy work. Eric K2CB
Tagged:

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are these case fans or CPU fans?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hello Eric- I will take 4; I hope the QA will be a little better as one of the fans from the last batch lasted only 3 months. Thanks; Bill
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2018
    CPU. Case fans are readily available from Mouser and DigiKey.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2018
    I would hope so. Unfortunately there really isn’t much choice as to suitable direct replacements.
  • K4ny TOM
    K4ny TOM Member
    edited November 2018
    I take 4 fans
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Guys, becareful changing these, they are held on by industrial glue , that may make the fans difficult to remove and can damage the chip they are attached to, which can be very costly to replace. Just a word to the wise. Dudley WA5QPZ
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Dudley- the fan comes off the heat sink with removal of 4 screws. So removal of the heat sink is unnecessary.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I will take 4 also.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2018
    Dudley,

These are exact fit replacements. They come supplied with the connector pre-attached, and the same heat sink.

However, almost everyone has been opting to simply unscrew the fan from the new fan/heat sink assembly, and simply swap the fan itself onto the pre-existing heat sink.

Most have reported the process to be quite simple. Swapping the heat sink, well that is another story. But for those not wanting to send their radio in, this is a quick, simple, and cost effective way of getting their radio back in service.

Eric
    K2CB
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited June 2020
    Guys, please be sure to email your requests direct, so I can be sure to add you to the list. It will also allow me to follow up once we are ready to proceed. Thank you!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Dudley, I made some notes on my web page about both of the types of fans used in the 6300, 6500, & 6700. There are pics, connector options, error msgs, etc. http://nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_ Regards Al / NN4ZZ
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hello Eric K2CB, 
    What is your direct email address, I need to order 4 - FPGA / CPU  50MM fans I have the other fan's.

Please let me know at 
    wx7y at arrl.net
  • Jerry  WA9UKB
    Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would be interested in fans also and 4. Units if they become available.
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I will take 4 fans whenever you get them
    W7ZAC  (QRZ OK)
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    How much $$ were the fans last time?
    Tnx,  Jim  K6JR
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2018
    k2cb at comcast dot net
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I will take 6 fans please I have a 6300 and a 6700
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I think $20
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I must have missed a message or two but why do you all order fans? Is there an issue with the fans used in the radios and does Flex not honor warranty (assuming one still has warranty)? would it not mess up the warranty if one opens the radio themselves? 73 Andy KU7T
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Dave ...Per Eric's request above..  Send the fan requests direct to him at
    k2cb at comcast dot net

• Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I second Andy's question. Do these fans reduce the ridiculously loud fan noise on the 6300?  My office is totally silent until the darn Flex gets turned on.  The only thing I don't like about Flex!
  • Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Andy - the warranty would indeed cover the fans, and Flex will replace them should they fail within the warranty period.

People are ordering these fans as they either have had, or suspect they may have, a fan fail outside the warranty.

Both of mine have failed after about 2.5 years.

The advantage of these particular fans, which Eric is hopefully going to be able to source, is that they are the same as the originals and so you can unscrew the fan itself from the heat-sink and replace that part only.  The heat-sink is glued onto the component and is difficult to remove without danger of damage.

Hope that helps.

Steve
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The replacement fans are the same fans that the radio comes with, how can they cool the radio without fans?
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I dunno, maybe use fans like the three in my computer that are totally silent?  This is not hard. My previous HF rigs made zero noise on receive. I realize these rigs are doing more, but it is still annoying.
  • Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Maybe you're talking about a different issue?  My 6300 was virtually silent until the fans started to fail.  Had they not failed, I would certainly not have seen them as a problem.
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Paul,

I share your pain...the fans in my 6300 have always been noisy.

Bill,

Who said anything about running the radio without any fans?

• Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just wait until you hear the fans in the new amplifier. It sounds like a hovercraft getting ready to launch.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If your not running an M model, consider placing your radio under a desk or some place similar to reduce the noise at your operating position, after all they are considered radio servers and they do not need to be in front of you to operate. I started operating remote in my house, all radio gear is in a back room while I operate in the den. 

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I did that but he does not reply!!
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2018

Everyone who replied directly is on the list. I apologize for not replying to everyone individually yet.  I have a ton of email to catch up on after being out of town for the holiday.

We have met the minimum requirement. I will be sending everyone an email with instructions later this week, once I have confirmation from the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Eric
    K2CB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.