Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Losing first CW character when beginning xmit

sky
sky Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am losing the first character of my CW transmission. SmartSDR (v 2.4.9) is in CW mode, I am using an electronic keyer plugged into the 6600 KEY rear input, transmit delay in SmartSDR radio setup (transmit tab) has delays all set to ZERO.

I had understood that in CW mode, the SmartSDR ignores the TX delay setting and heads direct to RF instantly but my first character gets lost in the slight delay when I first sent my first character (The first letter 'C' gets lost when keying my CQ).

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Answers

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sky,

Do you use an amp?  A TX delay may be needed with an amp.
  • sky
    sky Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Understood but I am not using an amp. I want NO delay.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Even with an amp, it should not truncate the front edge of a CW character or string.  If it does, then it is no longer a QSK radio!  
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Does it do that with the internal keyer of the 6600?    Is the internal keyer disabled when using the external keyer.
  • Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This sounds similar to a problem I reported here several months ago.  See https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/missing-first-element-in-sidetone

In my case, the first element was missing but only in the sidetone, not the transmitted signal.  Several others responded to my post indicating that they have noticed the same behavior.  I had hoped this would be fixed in 2.4.9 but I still think it is an issue.

Tim K9WX

• sky
    sky Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Tim: Tnx fer the reply. I can easily hear that my first CW character is not being transmitted and see the same on the waterfall (monitor). My electronic keyer is provided the side tone accurately.
    I have the Breakin button illuminated.

Interestingly, the problem was present up to yesterday but not today. I just made a CW contact and there was no loss of the first character. Everything operated instantaneously as it should. No changes or adjustments were made. I may have a moody SmartSDR program installed.
  • sky
    sky Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The transmitter delay has returned again! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.