Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Deleted com ports keep returning

Tim K9WX
Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
In the course of learning how to use my 6600, I have created and then removed a number of Com ports in SSDR CAT.  I am finding that the com ports that have been created and then removed in SSDR CAT are still showing up in Windows 8.1 device manager.  I can delete them in device manager but they return or are recreated the next time the computer reboots.  Note that these are not hidden or ghosted (as I understand the concept) ports as they are readily visible in device manager.  The are instead persistent and keep returning despite my efforts to date.

Suggestions on how to permanently delete them would be appreciated.

I am currently using SSDR 2.2.8.

Tim K9WX

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Tim
    I can share a few ideas on how to clear them out, but I'd prefer to do the explaining one on one, thru either a TeamViewer session or in the Flexradio IRC chat channel. Just click the first link in my post signature below. Enter your callsign for the nickname, And this would probably be best attempted tomorrow. Join the channel when you available to get started. Chores just jumped up, and got in my way. image

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000504463-Removing-In-Use-Com-Ports-for-Available-Com-Ports

run as Administrator this  Arbiter program helped me a few times.

Not a problem anymore.

Cycle and reboot and check device manager a few times just to be sure.

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Tim,

AA0KM hit it right.

Check out the link and download Com Arbiter.

I keep a copy of it in a folder on the desktop among other tools.

In fact I just used it Sunday when I installed a second Flex Knob. I could not assign a lower open com port I knew was available until Com Arbiter "cleared the unused ports."
    Com arbiter does not install on your PC. You run it from the folder you unzipped it to as Administrator.
    Excellent tool!
  • Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks, Clay and Jeff.  I downloaded Com Arbiter and ran it as administrator, with no result.

Here is my "before" picture.  In this example, I am trying to remove Com 8 and leave the others:
    imageimage
    When I click "Apply" the Apply button turns gray:
    Then I click "OK" and reboot.  When I check Device Manager after rebooting, Com 8 is still listed.
    I'm running Win 8.1.  Perhaps Arbiter is only for Win 10?  Do I need to uninstall the Flex VSP Driver before using Arbiter?  I am not clicking the "Clear non present" button.

Tim K9WX

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    A follow up: I was able to successfully (at least through 2 reboots) eliminate my unwanted and extraneous Com points by right mouse clicking the "Remove" button in SSDR CATControl and selecting "Reset FlexVSP Ports" which is the only option offered with a right mouse click.  From the SmartSDR CAT Software User's Guide: "Clicking this option will cause the system to remove all FlexVSP ports and then add back the pairs as defined in the Port list."

You will be reminded to close any third-party applications that use the Com ports before proceeding. 

After about a minute of processing time the 6 ports I wanted to keep reappeared in SSDR CAT but all of the unwanted Com ports had disappeared from Device Manager.  It also appears that the deleted Com ports are no longer being enumerated by Windows and I have not had to undertake the procedure outlined at https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200883925-Removing-Hidden-or-Ghosted-Com-ports

Tim K9WX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.