Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M, not a good beginning.

G0VLF
G0VLF Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

New radio landed in the UK Wednesday after a year on the waiting list. Very quick turn around and dispatch by ML&S and arrived Thursday lunchtime. Very happy!

Hooked everything up that evening, and thought it very unusual for the screen not to load first time. Ah ha I thought, must need software on PC. Radio did an update, and still nothing on the screen, so loaded PC again and checked all was well on there. Followed by another reboot of PC and radio, with still nothing showing on the 6600M screen.

The 6600M screen and none of the buttons light up at all, very strange. Load it up on the PC, and works great. Then I thought I must have missed something in a menu. Found nothing, and decided on a full reset. Rebooted the radio and PC, still nothing apart from the power button illuminating correctly as it did from unpacking.

Next try was to use my Maestro, did the software update, then it hung… Rebooted it and that worked fine, phew! So now I can switch between the PC and Maestro, but still nothing on the 6600M screen. Now not happy!

Phone call this morning to Tony at ML&S and quickly explained my problem. He asked if I could forward a video of the issue, which I did. They then requested a return and arranged a pick up.

I wonder if anybody else has had a similar experience, and if so, what was the outcome?

Ray de G0VLF

Comments

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sounds to me like during shipping all that way rough seas bumps and bruises cause a cable to come loose from where the display connects to the circuit board inside the unit. Everything else you are indicating is working so I would bet that is the issue.

If your adventurous a #8 torx is the required bit to take out the 16 or 18 cabinet screws to look inside. It shouldnt void your warranty since flec had us install the replacement adc hearsinks and even sent the kit with the #8 torx wrench in it.

Or you could put in a help desk tkt get an rma ship it back have another packaged up and sent to you with ... maybe the same result.

Seems likr R&L should take the hit and swap you a new one especially for what you pay for them.

Good luck.
  • G0VLF
    G0VLF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hope it is as easy as that, and it probably is after a long 5,000 mile journey. Unfortunately, I very much doubt there will be a replacement in the UK, as no doubt FlexRadio will be fulfilling pre-orders.

Unit on the way back to Flex's UK dealer, so will wait on the outcome.

Ray de G0VLF
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I had something similar and found I had to remove DC power and then applied power and all went well!
  • G0VLF
    G0VLF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi.

Did that as part of when I did a factory reset. Unfortunately, didn't resolve my problem. 

Had a quick search on here, but not seen a non working screen.

Ray de G0VLF
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would not pretend to know what is wrong with your radio,  but at least you are taken care of,,that's good. 
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Sorry to hear you’re having problems Ray.  I collected my 6600M from ML&S on Wednesday (they’re only 30 minutes away) and just plugged it in…everything is fine.  I traded in my 6500 so although there is a learning curve it is a fairly easy transition.  I’m very pleased with it and I am fortunate in not having any of the issues you mentioned. 

Hopefully they will either repair it (if a simple connector loose for example) or replace it when fresh stocks arrive. 

No doubt I will soon inflict some questions the community soon; there is still a lot to learn and I’m bound to run into areas I don’t understand.

Jeff – G4IUA

• G0VLF
    G0VLF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Jeff.

Well, luck of the draw. The critical thing is the excellent customer service and the speedy return to ML&S. A question Jeff. I have the Maestro and was comparing the way you access the menus by depressing the VFO A & VFO B knobs. The Maestro has a nice smooth click on pressing followed by one on release. My 6600M presses in and clicks, but not smoothly, then wont release..... Does your do that?

Yes, I still have my 6500, and not too sure whether to hang on to it as a back up or sell. All in all, started with a 3000, then 5000, purchased the 6500 and now 6600M and they've all been great to use. Quick look at a band or bands before working DX.

Enjoy the new radio Jeff.

Ray de G0VLF
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Hi Ray,

I must have picked the right box from their delivery!  

Pressing the VFO A or B knobs the menu is selected with a noticeable click and mine does release smoothly, probably similar to how you described your Maestro.  Being very critical, the VFO A knob isn't quite as smooth as it could be when spinning rapidly.  There is a faint scraping noise.  Faint but annoying.  Other than that all seems OK.

Similarly, I graduated from a 5000A to a 6500, and now the 6600M.  I've been happy with all 3.  I just wish the multi client software version would be released soon as it would make operating much smoother.

Hope you don't have a long wait for your replacement 6600M - I know how frustrating it must be, but at least you have your 6500 as a backup.

Jeff - G4IUA

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    What does multi client software do for you! Please explain???
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    simultaneous logins 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ok! Not sure how that would work from a end user perspective?? Probably just me not understanding the application!!
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You could f.ex have SSDR up and running on your PC screen and at the same time you could use a Maestro, if you, as I have with my 6700, have a separate one. Today you need to choose betwen one or the other.
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    By the way Robert .. I was new to Flex 6 months ago. Forget most of what you know about superhet radios and how to operate them. For good and for bad, mainly good, it's a different way having a Flex in the schack! Very very different, but after a while with this new technology, one just can't think of turning back. 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Expanding on Johan's comment, I often run with multiple computer devices connected to the Flex (a 6600M, in my case). I run almost exclusively digital, using both Macs and PCs. Both the Mac and PC will run Dax and Cat to fully support digital operations, while the radio is controlled either by the front panel, SSDR on a PC, dogparkSDR on a Mac, or SmartSDR on an iPad. I also presume you could run multiple digital apps on multiple computers with multiple slices, although have not tried that (a single transmitter makes that a bit problematic).
  • ND8L
    ND8L Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ray...

I'm the last guy that should be commenting here and you may have already tries this...but I had the same problem and W4TME told me that I needed to have the ethernet cable from my 6600M going directly to my router or desktop switch...not the computer.  There some kinda computer juju inside the 6600M that tells the radio it needs an update and it does it with no assistance from us. 

Can't speak for anyone else, but that proves to me that the radio is much smarter than I am.

73 de Ray - ND8L

• G0VLF
    G0VLF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Ray.

Was directly connected to my router from first installation. Once I determined nothing was appearing on the screen or buttons illuminating, I installed the software on my PC which updated the radio..... I have all of my equipment connected through the router as less likely to have WiFi issues etc.

Tried with my Maestro, then gave up after rebooting everything a few times with no success. So it will be in the hands of ML&S via a courier yesterday and may have an update on Monday.

Hope you're enjoying your new 6600M Ray. All the best from Durham, England.

Ray de G0VLF 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.