Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Defective FHM-1? Not work with Maestro

Carl N8VZ
Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
For the past several weeks I've tried to use my FHM-1 with my Maestro.  I was getting consistent reports of "low audio."  I fiddled with all kinds of settings, including setting Menu>Phone/CW Microphone setting to +20dB for both Maestro and Radio.  Nothing helped.  Then I plugged in an old Yaesu MH-36 that I had laying around the shack, and I immediately got a report of "great audio" from Doug K4SWJ, with whom I was in QSO. He said that the audio was much stronger. I noticed that that I was now getting proper deflection of the Po meter on the Maestro, peaking at near 100 watts.  With the FHM-1 the deflections were peaking at about five watts.

When I switched to the MH-36 I was still at this point using the preloaded FHM-1 mic profile.  From this I concluded that I had a defective FHM-1.  Thinking back, I'm not sure I had ever used my FHM-1 before.  I believe that I got it years ago when I purchased a Flex 1500.  I used that rig almost exclusively for digital modes in a portable environment, so I never needed a mic.

I'd appreciate hearing from others and their experiences using the FHM-1 microphone with a Maestro.  As I said, I now suspect that mine is defective, but I'd like to know this for sure before I start to take it apart and look for issues. 

Tnxs & 73 de Carl N8VZ

Comments

• Chris de Voogd
    Chris de Voogd Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Carl, FHM-1 doesn‘t work with Maestro. I use the FHM-2 with no problem. Chris DJ2NL.
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Almost same thing here. Bought a Flex6400 and Maestro at the last Hamvention. Order the cable to connect the FHM-2 to the Maestro direct from Flex. Received bad audio report.... Then switch to a Yeasu MH-31... I have a few here.... Now great audio report and no problem to get audio out of this mic. The FHM-2 is now out of service here. Hopefully, I did not paid an extra for this mic. 73 de Jeff | VA2SS
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Received my FHM-2 especially for Maestro w. Rj-45 connector a week ago. Only UFB audio reports, great audio.
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    There has been an issue with some FH-2 mics not properly configured by the manufacturer that FLEX uses to pass bias voltage. The cap and resistor are missing. FRS are aware of this issue and I suspect your FH-2 may be one. I also had one and suggest you put in a ticket. As always FLEX stands by their products. Why the FH-1 does not work is something I can not answer. Also the issue with the FH-2 seems to be only when you use the modular connector and are plugged into Mic 1 on the Maestro. Mic 2 handles bias differently when using what I call the separate pigtail connectors.
    Neil   N4FN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.