Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex cable for ALS-600 availability

I am trying to find out if this Flex cable is available. Thanks!

"...cable that will plug into the USB port
on the back of the FLEX radio and has an 8 pin mini DIN plug on the
other end that emulates a Yeasu radio."

Reference this thread: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/als-600s-amplfier-connection-to-the-6400m 
73 Jim, WQ2H

Answers

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sorry not compatible with that amp.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You can do Yaesu style BCD. It’s in the interface guide. The person who said “not compatible with that amp” is wholly incorrect. See this post for more info: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/connecting-an-als-600-to-a-flex-6000-series-radio
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Kb4oif had this issue and chased it for a month and never could get it resolved at all even though he bought cables and other things never got it to work.
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited July 2018
    Thank you.
    Yes - after reading the "Cables-Interface-Guide" I see that BCD would do it.
    OK, next question would be if you can safely gang (parallel) the accessory  connectors (or a similar methodology).

If I understand this correctly I would need one for the amplifier, and a second for the DR-7800 - (the cable arrived today from Farallon).
    Thanks again for the help - I know you guys are busy.
    "If you're not the lead dog - the scenery never changes"
    73 Jim, WQ2H
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You cannot use the aforementioned Yaesu USB to 8-pin mini DIN cable with the ALS-600.  First of all, you need to have a newer ALS-600 - the one that does automatic/remote band switching (the band switch has a "Remote" position at the full clockwise end of travel).  The remote ALS-600 also has two "REMOTE" A & B RJ-45 jacks on the front panel.  To get the ALS-600 to work with a Flex and implement automatic band switching (which the USB port that the radio provides) via an FTDI USB to BCD cable, you will need Ameritron's ARI-500 remote interface.  Unfortunately, I don't believe Ameritron makes a ready-made cable that goes from USB to the RJ-45 connector on the ARI-500 to provide the necessary BCD output required.  You will have to "roll your own": in other words, make the proper crimp connections from the flying lead USB FTDI cable (with loose wire ends) to a proper RJ-45 connector, in the proper order (see the ARI-500 manual).

I currently use the DDUtil program with SSDR to accomplish this via BCD output through a parallel port (you have to install an add-on card in your PC or have a high-end motherboard to have a parallel port).  There is NO 8-pin DIN jack on the ARI-500.  I had to make a cable to carry the BCD from the DB-25 parallel port to the ARI-500 RJ-45 "Radio" input jack.

Some folks mention the ARB-704 interface, but it will not do band switching.  It is strictly a voltage/switching interface to allow older amps to interface with newer, low voltage amp switching outputs.

I have also heard of folks using a USB to RS-323 cable, but I don't know where you would connect the DB-9 jack on the serial end (perhaps a serial to BCD/RJ-45 cable, if one exists?).

There is just no ready made way to get the ALS-600 & ARI-500 to work with the Flex radios unless Flex or someone else makes an USB to BDC cable with a properly wired RJ-45 BCD connector on the end opposite the USB connector.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    As Ria indicated, one viable solution for getting Flex radios working with the ALS-600 & ARI-500 can be found at https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/connecting-an-als-600-to-a-flex-6000-series-radio .  In that thread--and building upon ideas offered by other helpful folks--I give a step by step guide for building the cable using "no soldering required" inexpensive connectors.  I've been using this cable several months and with no issues.
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited July 2018
    Thank you Greg - After reading the link that Ria provided, it sounds like what you're saying correlates to the information in that link perfectly.

I've been using Yaesu with the ARI-500's for years - and they do sell a 8-pin to RJ cable that plugs directly into the "linear" socket on the back of most Yaesu radios.

A possible future cable product for Flex, could be a simple pre-wired 8-pin mini-DIN socket to accessory jack cable. This would cover most of the newer Yaesu line.

I've been making cables forever - but if there's one out there available to purchase somewhere I'd always go that option first.

73 Jim, WQ2H
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited July 2018
    Yes - this is the link I was referring to. Thank you for sharing that.

Maybe I was being overly optimistic thinking an off-the-shelf cable was available - but no worries, your instructions were very straight forward.

Oh, and I might need the services of your "cable inspector".

73 Jim, WQ2H

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I was about to say that "cable inspector" works pro bono.  That would be a misstatement, because he actually never works :^)
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    What are we talking about for the radio end?  Everyone keeps mentioning an 8-pin mini DIN cable.  How will that connect to the Flex?  I know that will connect to a Yaesu rig, but the Flex needs a USB connection with an FTDI to BCD converter.  Even the ARI-500 has RJ-45 connections only!
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited July 2018
    Wiring wise, my understanding is that you need to build the cable - USB+ RCA on the Flex end, and the RJ+RCA for the ARI-500 end. (The RCA goes on the amp).

Greg's instructions (in the link below), with Martin's guidance, look pretty straight forward. This all came up because I thought you could buy a cable - which you can not (yet).
    73 Jim, WQ2H.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, I forgot the RCA connectors.  The keying line goes through the ARI-500 which, when it faults, kills the amp keying.  I do that through a special cable that I use with my PC and DDUtil.  I like DDUtil because it will remember the power settings for each band.  Yes, I know you can do that with SSDR and profiles, but DDUtil makes it all automatic and I don't have to remember to switch profiles.  To each his own.  And, if you're running an "M" model, you probably don't want a PC running anyway.  As for the cable, having a good RJ-45 crimper and plugs pretty much eliminates soldering (except the RCA plugs, which are beyond simple!).  Or, you could use a CAT5 cable, cut off one end, and splice the proper colored wires to the FTDI BCD cable with mini-wire nuts.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Greg.  As you appreciate, there is more than one way of building a cable to enable automatic band switching between the Flex radio and an ALS-600.  The particular cable that I built has an FTDI usb plug at one end that inserts into Flex radio's usb socket.  The opposite end of this cable is fitted with a (male) ethernet plug that plugs directly into the ARI-500 front panel socket labeled "radio".  In my cable, I have no mini DIN connector whatsoever.

In the earlier message thread, I posted a photo that displays the finished cable--for ease of reference, you will find the photo below.  In the photo, you will see the resulting cable.  Right side of photo shows the FTDI usb plug.  Left side of the photo shows the (blue) ethernet plug.  Running physically parallel to this is a simple cable fitted with two RCA connectors.  One of the (red) RCA plugs is inserted into the 6400M "TX1" connector; the other RCA plugs into the "relay" socket located on the rear panel of the amplifier.  

.image  
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Is that your CAT cable? ;)
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ain't DAX' the truth!  
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    This has been ANSWERED. Best answer(at the moment) is to build it yourself - wiring diagram that I used successfully is here:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/als-600-ari-500-to-flex-6xxx-happiness
    73 Jim, WQ2H

• KC5HCX
    KC5HCX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

Has anyone tried using a USB relay to make and break contacts inside the ALS-500RC to remote control the ALS-600 amplifier. I see it cost about half of the price of the ARI-500 and has an RCA jack that could be opened and closed for remote antenna tuning. Also, it appears that the on / off switch can be cycled to reset an amplifier fault. Any comments, concerns or suggestions for using this device with USB relay for remote control of ALS-600?
    Thanks,
    Don
    KC5HCX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.