Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skimmer Access Violation

Bernie
Bernie Member
I get this message when starting CW Skimmer Ver 2 with either Slice Master or SDR-Bridge: Access violation at address 0051AC29 in module 'CWSkimmer.exe', Write of address 00000000.  As long as this message is present, CW Skimmer decodes CW very well.  As soon as the message window is closed, the CW Skimmer "waterfall" becomes "jerky" and the decoding becomes quite bad.

I am running SmartSDR v2.3.7 with a Flex 6700 and Windows 10 Pro 1803.  I have tried setting CWSkimmer.exe to run as an administrator and also tried using a compatibility mode for Windows 7 & 8.  None of these seem to help.

Sometimes I can change the panadapter magnification which will improve the decoding process, but most of the time CWSkimmer performance is far below my previous experience with it.

I'm hoping somebody has found a solution to the "access violation" problem.

Comments

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I don't think the "access violation" has anything to do with the jerkiness, as I've seen that error with SDR-Bridge for years, and also now from SliceMaster.  I first noticed the jerkiness with one of the more recent SSDR releases and traced it to interference from Malwarebytes, which I had recently added.   I had to disable part of the real-time protection features to get Skimmer back to normal operation.  You might try this as a test for this particular problem:  If Skimmer is jerky, try highlighting one of the pull down menus in Skimmer.  If the jerkiness goes away, you've probably got something in your firewall/security system that is causing the slowdown.  There may be other programs than Malwarebytes that cause the issue, but I know that one is a definite cause.
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
  • Bernie
    Bernie Member
    edited July 2018
    Rick, I disabled the Real-Time Protection features in Malwarebytes, and started up CWSkimmer with Slice Master (v0.10.4).  Shazam!!! NO access violation message and no "jerkiness" in CWSkimmer.  It decoded W1AW code practice without error!  Granted it is a "one-time" experiment, but the results were better than I had hoped.  Thank you for your help!

Jean-Luc, thanks for your link.  I had already tried that suggestion without success.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.