Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Master

AH0U
AH0U Member
edited April 2020 in Third-Party Software
YES!!!! This is the bomb 

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I like it. Still has some quirks but it's a nice option. I also use SDR-Bridge for other things.

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Been using it for about a week. It took a bit of tweaking by the author Don, but the new version V.0.9.19 is very stable.  The 'mix' functions are nice but the CW Skimmer sync is really easy to set-up and, like I said, stable. Skimmers pop up and are sync'd almost immediately. A really nice piece of software. Great to see API uses being developed! Thanks Don!

Lou N2TU
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I haven't tried the Slice Master yet for CW Skimmer, mainly because I use 2 FlexControls and use SDR-Bridge to control one of them.  I try to keep the number of third party apps to a minimum and don't use DDUtil (another app that provides control for a second FlexControl).

I wish Flex would offer support for 2 (or more) FlexControls in SSDR.  Here is the idea if you want more details or would like to vote it up.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/add-support-for-2-or-more-flexcontrols-from-within-...

Or even better, add support for a mini-Maestro that could replace the FlexControls.  Here is the idea if you want more details or would like to vote it up.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/maestrocontrol-the-next-generation-flexcontrol

With either of these in place it would be easy to use either SDR-Bridge or Slice Master for the CW Skimmer connection.  I know I could run them both simultaneously now but again I like to keep it simple and run as few third party apps as possible. 

But the ultimate solution for CW Skimmer, IMHO is to integrate it into SSDR.  Here is the idea if you want more details or would like to vote it up.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pfskimer_what_is_the_possibility_for_a_smartsdr_dis...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.1.30
    Win10

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Al,

Rather than detailing those ideas in a SliceMaster thread, might it not be a good idea to separate the topics. That way they will get individual attention?

Each of your suggestions have some standalone discussion merit...and maybe should be aired accordingly.

So, back to SliceMaster. Give it a try...

Lou N2TU

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Lou,
    I'll give it a try at some point to see how it works.  It sounds like a nice program.  But I do like to keep the number of third party apps to a minimum.  If Slice Master also had support for 2 or more FlexControls it would be a good one for my setup.  Maybe that is another possibility some day. 

Some of those other ideas are years old so every once in a while I mention them so they get seen by newer members.   They are all on the "idea" list and have comments and votes so I'm not sure creating a new thread is needed but will, if you think it's the way to go.

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.1.30
    Win10

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I really like it. The automated start and stop when it senses mode is nice.

Wish it would "cure" some of CW skimmers quirks that happen no matter what bridge I use :)

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Ria,

I'm very interested in removing the quirks and making improvements. If you could find the time to drop me an email or post about them here, I'd appreciate hearing about them.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Lou,

As you've discovered, Slice Master is still a work in progress, both in terms of features as well as dealing with the "quirks".  You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi Al,

I'm still fleshing out the feature set and concentrating mostly on automatic configuration and launching of other third party software.  But beneath it all is a framework I've built with the intention of supporting multiple midi controllers.  I've already received requests for Flex Control support and have it on my to-do list. 
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm trying Rich, I'm trying ;)

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    So this program has got my attention, especially since the new SPOTS feature was just released. I watched a video showing it being used with CW Skimmer. I have not downloaded it yet, but I do have a few questions:1. Are there predefined programs that it can interface with?2. I didn't see any way to add programs.3. Will Slice Master be able to provide the Spot info? I use Log4OM - I know it uses a UDP connection, just not sure if I can add an additional UDP port
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The README file for Slice Master (https://github/K1DBO/slice-master-6000) lists the programs that are currently supported.  "Supported" here means that Slice Master can configure launch multiple instances (per slice) and provide bi-directional control.  But Slice Master is also useful with many programs that it cant configure and launch.  Loggers generally fall into this category.

Regarding spots, Slice Master does a few things.  First, it aggregates the spots generated by (some of) the programs it launches and makes them available through it's own cluster server.  So any program that can make use of telnet cluster spots can connect to Slice Master's aggregation server for access to those locally generated spots.

Second, Slice Master provides a "bandmap overlay" that sits on top of any "popped out" panafall.  Until today's release of SSDR, this was the only way to see spots in an SSDR window.  The approach has some limitations but works wells.  As part of this bandmap feature, Slice Master allows external spot sources to be gathered.  So far sources includes N1MM+, Logger32, DXLab's Spot Collector, and HRD Logbook, as well as telnet connections to cluster nodes.  

Third, as of today's SSDR release Slice Master can also show those spots directly in the SSDR windows by making use of the new Flex API commands that are part of the new release.

Support for Log4OM is likely to be included in a future release.

--Don

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    So is there a new release of Slicemaster for the API commands as I find I still have to pop out he window . . . run dx launcher then spot collector
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The latest version of Slice Master is v0.10.4c It supports the spots API.  On the settings tab enable 'Send spots to radio'.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks so much. Look like it’s time to download it!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I really can't find the down load file for Slicemaster
  • kd5foy
    kd5foy Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm sorry, I see readme file but were to find the program?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The Getting Started section of the readme has a link to the current release.

https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000/releases

--Don

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ok I have it thank you, 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    So am I correct in saying that for the spots to show up on the Maestro . . .  Slice Master has to be running on a computer on the same network as the Flex radio??
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes, Slice Master makes a network connection to the radio and uses the Flex API to send the spots.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well I have 0.10.4c es 2.4.7 SSDR and I'm not seeing spots...  Will review again the readme but as of right now I'm a little disappointed in the SSDR spots...

I get that an API was provided but it seems that there should be a simple option to connect to and listen to some common spot providers without having to use N1MM

BTW the slicemaster overlay spots work just fine.  Just nothing getting into the radio API even with the checkbox checked.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
     I would have thought flex would have done it direct without using a 3rd party program. But it is a start I guess. Works good here.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Have Slice Master Running, brings up CW Skimmer but unable to see any Spots

In SSDR 2.3.7 when i go to SSDR Setting I can not get Spots to check off 

Can someone details the steps for Spots to be seen locally on SSDR from CW Skimmer

Running 6600M here with 2.3.7 and CW Skimmer

Mike
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mike

Clicking on the SmartSDR Settings Menu on Spots.. opens a Spot Settings dialog window, there is an enable button, and several other settings in the dialog window, you might not have noticed it opening, it's never been possible to see it before this morning.

Yo will also need to select and enable a spot source in Slicemaster, in order to start collecting new spots.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I am not seeing many spots,,it is set to telnet://ve7cc.net
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Not many on the cluster. only on 20 meters and a few on 6m now. Im on 40 and it is dead.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Jay,

Your comment is spot on.  But it is worth noting that spots from CW Skimmer will show up in the panafall without adding a spot source.  Same goes for GRITTY and WSJT-X.

Spot sources are only needed for adding spots from external sources (telnet cluster) or for adding "color" through a logger like Logger32, Spot Collector, or HRD Logbook.

--Don

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Jay,
    Yes I been able to see the Spot Settings Pop Up window
    I click the Disabled to turn to Enabled, it then turns Blue

I see nothing appear as spots in my SSDR 2.3.7 

If I click setting in SSDR Spot setting is not checked
    Only checked are 
    Autostart  CAT with SmartSDR
    Autostart DAX with SmartSDR

Seems this program is DOA ( Dead on Arrival ) 

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.