Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Used Maestro with problems

Carl N8VZ
Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
imageI have a used Maestro that I just bought via qth.com swapshop.  It appears to have a problem.  The first time I boot it, it booted FB.  However, ever since it will not boot correctly.  Right now, it will only boot into a screen that shows just the slice info at the top of the screen with the rest of the screen black.  See the screenshot supplied.  From this screen I can access the menu, but it appears that the Maestro is not connected to the rig.  When it boots it bypasses the normal screen where you chose the software version and actually connect with the rig.  Any suggestions of what I should do to solve this problem would be appreciated.  I believe that this is a fairly early model (S/N: 1616-5092-0100-2945).  Any and all advice appreciated. 73 de Carl

Comments

• Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In wich way are the Maestro connected, as well as your radio, to your local network? Hardwired to the radio? To a router/switch or wireless. I think we need to know a bit more about this to be able to suggest what could be the problem. By the way, what radio are you using?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Do a direct connect to the radio then hold the power button down and hold it till it shuts down. I have had that happen to mine on a few occasions. That is how I corrected it.
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It is a wireless connection. The radio is a 6500. 73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I will try the direct connection and report back. Thanks. 73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Gl Carl!

I think Steve are right on it and I think you might solve the problem with the direct connection. I have had similar problem just a few times, always when on my Wireless net and then connecting to the Lan with cable and restarting has always solved it.

I have a wireless lan with several accesspoints to give very good coverage even outside in the garden. But Maestro and Wireless is not always good pals, never had a problem when on wired Lan.
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for your feedback Johan and Steve.  The direct connection did help; however, I still am not "out of the woods" yet.  It will now boot to the screen where it IDs the radio and I connected to it.  When I clicked on "Connect" it goes to the screen where you can choose the software version.  I selected the most recent v2.2.8.  It then went through the routine of reinstalling it.  After that I got the message "Waiting on Hardware Initialization."  At first, there were several letters showing: W, X, Y, Z, K, YTS, ETH.  Then, it displayed only "Waiting on Hardware Initialization (ETH)."  At that point, it is apparently frozen, as it has now been ten minutes with no further action.  I'm suspecting that I may have had a bad download of the v2.2.8 update.  This was installed by me after buying the Maestro.  The previous owner had v2.1.33 as the last installed version.  Is there a way to force a clean download of that version over again?

P.S. Now, I'm not sure that my diagnosis above is correct.  I just tried to reinstall the old v2.1.33 version and got hung up at the same spot: "Waiting on Hardware Initialization (ETH)."  I have no idea what to try next.  Ideas?
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Update:

I now reinstalled v2.2.8 and restarted.  First, I got a message saying "An error occurred that requires a restart of the Maestro"  

Then when it restarted, I got this error message:

"Error communicating with Maestro Hardware (152).  Please try again. (W,X,Y,Z,K)"

Then a Windows dialogue box pops up saying: "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  The only option is then to "close the program."  Upon doing that the Maestro shuts off.  
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hmm . . . I just rebooted it with the Maestro connected directly to the 6500, not through the LAN, and it booted up properly directly to the main screen.  Not sure if it's now fixed or if it will continue to be problematic when I try LAN or WiFi boot. 73 de Carl N8VZ

• Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well, I just turned it off and booted directly to a WiFi connection and right into main screen showing both of my previous slices.  Seems to be working.  I'm going to put it through a little more of a workout before I pronounce it totally cured.  

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Check the power supply. Or if you were trying to run from battery use the AC power adapter instead. Ethernet needs more current than WiFi. What you describe sounds like the Maestro was trying to run from the internal battery (which it can't). The internal battery is used to keep it operating while switching battery packs.

If you are using a battery pack and not the AC adapter, make sure the battery pack is a self starting pack otherwise you need to push a button on the pack to turn it on.

Dave wo2x

• sky
    sky Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I find it is far more prudent and wise to buy new and enjoy the manufacturerer's support and warranty.  Buying used for the apparent 'savings' yields  false economy and the cause of buyer's remorse.
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Dave: Yesterday I was at first using the battery in the battery compartment which I installed.  I then switched to my main ham shack power supply and had the same problems. I only got joy when I connected the Maestro ethernet connection directly to 6500 as suggested by Steve and confirmed by Johan.  Now, I can use either the power supply or an external LiFEPO2 battery. The battery in the battery compartment is one of the models that Tim W4TME recommended (Polanfo M50000 Portable Power Bank 12000mAh), but it still is causing problems.  It may have been the root of my initial problem, but simply using another source of power did not fix the problem until I did the direct ethernet connection to the rig. 73 de Carl N8VZ 

P.S.  I just checked my Polanfo battery.  Even though I ordered the Polanfo M50000, I see that I actually received the Z-Power, which is rated at 20000MAh, seemingly a better spec.  It has both a 1amp and a 2.1amp output.  I've been using the latter. 

P.P.S.  I looks like mine is not a self-starting pack.
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have now discovered that I can actually use the Z-power battery, but I have to first open the battery door and press start.  I didn't realize this yesterday, so when I thought I was using the Z-power, I was actually using the internal battery, until I plugged in external power, but at that point some other aspect of the boot up was **** up, so I had to use the direct ethernet connection routine to get it back in the swing. If anyone has a suggestion of a good self-starting pack, please let me know.

• Anthony Bowyer
    Anthony Bowyer Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
      I got a pre-owned Maestro as well, and had a similar problem. Mine was self-induced however,  because I plugged the power supply in, it came on, and not knowing any better, I held the power button to force it off. At the time I didn't realize a single press the correct way {unless you have to force it off for some reason). It seems the single press puts the tablet in the Maestro into sleep mode, while the long press is a forced shutdown.

It took another restart for me as well; probably had to clean up the stray temp files/minor file corruption  caused by the forced power-off.

• Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Just discovered that my Z-power will turn itself off automatically if the current draw is not enough.  So, this pack won't turn on automatically but will turn itself off automatically. Maybe I should use the 1 amp output, because apparently the Maestro doesn't draw enough to satisfy it on the 2.1 outlet. I think a different battery pack might be the best solution, however.  Suggestions welcome! 73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Should have just bought an ipad 6 and the ios app you would have saved a bunch of bucks also :-)
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Wayne, I actually have that app on both my iPhone and iPad; however, I think the Maestro will be easier for backyard use, given my operating style. I use the iOS app more for on-the-road use. 73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well, I plugged the Maestro into the Z-power 1 amp slot, and it's been running FB for about an hour.  Apparently, as I said before, the Maestro draws so little power that it goes below a cutoff value and the battery automatically shuts down.  But, in the 1 amp slot, it draws enough to keep the battery operating.  This is one strange battery, IMHO.  I do want to replace it with something that will auto start upon turning on the Maestro.  But, for now, I know how to work this little puppy.  73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Great to hear you are on the right track Carl :) Enjoy the Maestro. I have one and I like it, but like using the PC and Flexcontrol better. But with summer and more opportunities to sit outside working, I'm probably gonna use the Maestro a lot more.
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for your help, Johan.  I'm curious, what is your callsign?  I believe you are from Sweden. Is that correct?  I'm half Icelandic, as you might have guessed from my middle name. 73 de Carl N8VZ
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The knobs should work well for that then.
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hi Carl, aha you are of Icelandic origin, I did wonder a bit about your first name. My father, not Icelandic but Swedish, had the same name and spelling. My vanity call, as is my signature here on the community, are SE3X. You will find me on QRZ.com. SE3X is my call for Contest and DX and page is written in English. My personal call is SA3BYC, on QRZ as well, but in Swedish, if you like a language practice session.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.