Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone using an EQPlus with the 6600/6600M?

Bob  KW4CQ
Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
Checking to see if anyone is using an EQPlus with their 6000 series radio and if in doing so you turn off the PROC and EQing in the Flex.  Any user comments on speech quality and performance would be appreciated.  

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Not sure why anyone would want to use an external processor when Flex has the best CESSB processor in the ham world
  • Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you.
  • Neal - K3NC
    Neal - K3NC Inactive Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thats somewhat true but if you have one and have used it a long time, you will likely want to stick with what you know. Julius is a great ham and was a long-time Flex user (haven't heard from him in a few years so no sure if he still is).

Bob, I would expect that you would turn off the TX EQ and see how that goes, then once you are happy with that, play with the proc on and off. You do not want to change too many things at once when you introduce a new device. Assuming you like what you currently have. If you never found a setting to your liking, you can start with a blank slate ( no eq no processor) and build up what works and doesn't.

If you use it and find something you like, come back and share your experiences so the next guy can benefit from your experiments!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I use both the EQ Plus and W2IHY 8band EQ. I turn pff the internal 20 dB boost and turn off the tx eq but leave the Flex processor on and in Normal setting (unless chasing a rare DX). If anyone would like a copy of the setup sheet I wrote fpe Julius, contact me directly. My call is good at arrl.net. While transmit audio can be very subjective, I have setting that work very well with either a PR40 or RE27ND. Dave wo2x
  • Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you, Neal and by the way congratulations on joining the FRS team.  Great bunch of folks there.  I've been playing round with Flex radios on and off since the 1000 came out.  A friend has offered to loan me his EQPlus and the reason for my posted question was simply to find out how running EQPlus processed audio through the 6600's mic and processor stages with various stages in the Flex turned on and off. It has been my experience that you should never run  compressed speech through any type of equalizer (graphic or parametric).  Compression should take place higher up the audio chain else you in for some unwanted distortion and possible splatter.   It's no big deal.  I'll just go ahead and do some experimenting on my own and ponder the results.  Thanks again, Neil and all the best.
    73, Bob KW4CQ
  • Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the come back Dave.  I presume you are running the 8 Band EQ ahead of the EQPlus.  It appears from you first sentence above that you are running compressed audio from the EQ plus into the Flex with its PROC on in the NORM setting.  AM I correct?  I havent actually heard you audio on the air but that seems like a lot of compression processing. And I assume you turned off the EQ in the Flex and not in the EQPlus.  Correct?
    Bob KW4CQ 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    8:30 position) and processor in radio (normal). Any rime you would like to hear it we can make a sched. 73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.