Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Operating power on FT8 only reaches 35 watts with power set at 100 watts

DV
DV Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
When operating FT8 with my 6700, when I turn the power up to 100 watts, on transmit the power meter says the radio's power is 35 watts and I have confirmed this using an external meter.(I am using VOX to key the radio and the DIGU mode on 20m.) On CW, I'm getting 100 percent power. While 35 watts is usually fine for FT8, I'm wondering why my Flex can't transmit at 100 watts on FT8?

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Is your level meter all the way to the right? In other words are you driving the audio channel to 100%? Should look like this screen shot. 
    https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1732299/RackMultipart20180526-24599-1dfrc91-WechatIM...
    Also how is the SWR?
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited January 2020
    Check the slider in your WSJT software... is it turned down??? Look at the DAX slider. .. is it turned down???
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    While I rarely ever TX at 100 watts on FT8 even with my compromised antenna's, I do keep the yellow slider(small one) 100% out of the red zone. I keep a gap between the two. If it hits the red you will be causing issues on the band.
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the ideas. Yes the vertical power slider on WSJT-X is all the way up. Well, I thought my level meter was running all the way across, and I was keeping it out of the red zone, but the level meter deceives one.  I adjusted the DAX TX slider about about 1/8 inch and that gave me 85 watts, but the level meter was starting to turn red on peaks... but not pushing past the 0 dB mark. 

Thanks AHOU, you win the gold ring.
    Doug 

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I'm happy questions like this are coming in as I have not tried FT8 yet, but will eventually. Doug I learned the same way about the DAX levels when I first got RTTY going in 2014. Being mindful not to overdrive DAX. .
  • David - KO1C
    David - KO1C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Dax slider, my thoughts exactly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.