Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Auto Bandswitching Module for ICOM IC-2KL, IC-4kl and PW1 Amplifiers

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have developed an interface module that allows a Flex 6000 series to have fully automatic band switching with the IC-2KL, the IC-4KL and the PW1 Amplifiers.  It is plug in compatible with the IC-4KL and the PW-1 and provides wires to connect to the 24 pin molex on the IC-2KL. Purely a hardware box with no special software needed.  Looking to see if there is any interest in an amateur model for sale.

Answers

• Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have a IC-2KL and would be interested in more detail and cost??
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Steve, putting the BOM together to establish some pricing. I have the breadboard working on my 4KL.  I am ordering pc boards and will have a few built next week.  You can reach me at ed@w2ph.com.  I will keep you posted. 73 Ed
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Ed,

I have a PW-1 and would be interested. I will also email you.

Jim

ka7gzr

• Top Dawg
    Top Dawg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ed,

I have a PW-1. Would you please let me know as well?

Robert K6YF
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    WANT!!!!!
  • Len Geraldi
    Len Geraldi Member
    edited April 2019
    By chance will it work on the ICOM 2000A
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Sorry dont needone my elecraft amp has perfect auto band sensing and switching built in works great all bands just keyup and transmit.
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    What is an Icom 2000a?  I cant find any info on it.
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    have a PW-1 too
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Brad, 
    Please email me ad@w2ph.com and I will send you a doc that explains the nfeatures.
    Ed W2PH
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    ad@w2ph.com
    SMTP error from remote server for RCPT TO command, host: smtp.secureserver.net (68.178.213.37) reason: 550 5.1.1 <ad@w2ph.com> Recipient not found. <http://x.co/irbounce>
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Update..
    I have the Autobandswitcher working on the 2kl and 4kl and the code completed for the PW1.  A pre-production model going out today to an evaluator for the PW1.  Once we confirm all is working correctly, we should be in production in a few weeks.  The Autobandswitcher will support all three ICOM amps.  The cables supplied for each are slightly different... software is the same.  It requires the PW1 CI-V address to be left at the default 54h with a preferred baud rate of 9600.  The product includes inhibiting band changes in the PW1 while transmitting ... one of the flaws in the PW1 firmware.  The anticipated price will be $179 and will include all needed cables.  
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Update June 18
    We have just about completed testing on both the PW1 and the IC2KL/4KL for autobandswitching with the Flex 6xxx series.  I have ordered production pcb's and am machining the cases.  We should be taking orders in the next week or so.  The price will be $179 and includes all needed cables.  There will be a model for IC-2KL/4KL and another for the PW1.  The only difference is the supplied cables.  The interface box will do all three amplifier models.  Please fell free to email any questions  to ed@w2ph.com   
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Update June 26
    The first production units should be available next week.  I will post here when they are ready along with a link to purchase and a link to download photos and a manual.  
    ed@w2ph.com
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sorry for the delays.  Due to lack of response on the IC-2KL/4KL we have decided to go only with the AutoBandSwitcher for the PW1.  In doing so we have reduced the cost to $149.  We will start taking orders on our website in about a week.  We should be in full production by August 15.  I will post the web site with a link to the manual in the next few days.  Thanks again for your patience. Please direct any questions to the email below or post them here in the forum.
    Ed@w2ph.com
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    We are finally ready.  Due to the quirky nature of the PW1's CIV firmware, it took some doing to get bandswitching to be reliable and to make use of the "pass through" feature.  I will supply a link over this weekend for purchasing the AutoBandSwitcher (ABS).  It comes with all cables complete and ready to connect.  If you want to make use of the "pass through" feature you will need to supply 12VDC at 1/2 amp or more to the ABS.  The ABS emulates an ICOM radio's CIV instructions allowing seamless bandswitching.  

Ed W2PH
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here is a link for the W2PH AutoBandSwitch used to connect a Flex 6xxx to an ICOM PW1 Amplifier for completely automatic band switching while supporting the "pass through" feature of the amp. It has a description and installation instructions.

w2ph.com/ABS Manual.pdf

• Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

link not working???
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Copy and paste the link, it is working
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Finally, after much testing, the W2PH AutoBandSwitch is in production.  It is $149 and includes all cables to connect your Flex 6000 to an ICOM PW1.  It fully supports "pass through" mode on the PW1 and installs in less than 5 minutes.  Please see the instructions at: 
    w2ph.com/ABS Manual.pdf (note space after ABS). 
    Email me at ed@w2ph.com to order.  
  • Rod Hart
    Rod Hart Member
    edited August 2018
    I can not retrieve manual. Can you send copy to: rod.hart@verizon.net. Tnx Rod WA3MEZ
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Do you know how I could get my ic2kl to switch to 10 meters? There is no setting for it /
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Have you looked at the TenTec Hercules ll amps for switching. several of us have them.
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Andy,
    Please answer the following:
    1) I assume you are talking about a TenTec Model 420?
    2) Do you have the 15 pin molex (remote) connector hooked up with any wires?

Ed W2PH
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Ed, tnx for your reply. Yes the Herc ll is the model 420. Currently it is married to my Orion ll via the TT model 311 Band  Data Convertor  So yes the 15 pin connector comes from the 311. As you may know the 311 is no more than a bunch of inverters to change the logic level from the Oll to the reverse levels for the input of the Herc. I have the Molex part numbers for the 15 pin connector ,but they are no longer available.

Andy... W3LI
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Andy,
    Here is my suggestion.  Order the FTDI cable C232HM-EDHSL-0 which you can get from digikey.  . You will want to put Molex pins on enough wires for ground and each band that fit into the 15 pin connector housing in the positions for each band as defined in the 420 manual. You will find the color codes for each wire in the Flex USB cable doc.  When you have connected the wires to the molex connector, Plug it into the usb jack on the back of the flex 6xxx. Dont forget the black wire is ground to the 420.  Once you have done this, turn on the Flex, load the SmartSDR software and go to settings menu at the top of the screen, choose USB cables... and you should see your usb cable.  Highlight it, then edit, give it a name and then  choose "bit".  You can then assign any frequency range to each wire.  You can set the wires to be active high or active low as needed.  Once you have done this , your amp should follow the Flex.  Hope this helps.
    Ed W2PH 
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    ED, thanks for the information. That cable assembly should work fine, however the 15 pin connector housing is not available anywhere. Many of us have searched every supplier known and it seems that Molex does not mfg them any more. Should have bought more of them. Will continue to use the Herc connected to the Orion ll.
    Tnx again 

Andy...W3LI
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Andy, just get the molex pin removal tool and crimp new pins onto the FTDI cable ends and insert them into the old molex housing.  I would expect the mlex pins are still available...
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    OK Ed, just want to avoid using the existing housing if possible. I have all of the .062 pins and extraction tools. 
    TNX>
  • Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Burt, 
    Firstly, the 4KL must have the 10 meter option installed.  The amp was made specifically to mate with an ICOM transceiver using the 0-8VDC band voltage that must be present along with the well regulated 8VDC supply at the accessory connector of the 4KL.  You can find the band voltage required for 10 meters from numerous places online.  Supply the amp the 8vdc, the correct band voltage plus ground, and it will switch to 10 meters if the amp has the 10 meter option.
    Ed W2PH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.