Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

what os flexes special hamvention prices?

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
A major ham outlet has the icom 7610 for $3100 as a hamvention special thats a $500 discount from initial pricing so what is flexes special discount for the hamvention? Just wondering .... :-)

Answers

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You serious Wayne, the new Flex models were priced lower from day one. Best value out there.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes I am very serious even elecraft is offering $50 to $200 off in savings based on which product or package you order. Every amatuer radio supplier well except maybe this one that I have looked up has sales specials during hamvention.

I mean everyone is selling a product and that product has a markup amount that the sellers are willing to forego 5 to 15 % or more on and make it up in volume so what makes flex any different except that cheap mic jack that would have cost to much to make it compatible with the other products in the product line as was officially said in this community.

Its part of doing business and should be part of the business model taking into account sales specials to promote more volume and sales.

Plus old hams are mostly cheap wanting somethimg for as little as possible on sale boards etc.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    and that's still too much for the 7610...
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Under normal circumstances I would have agreed with you all day long but the reality is that FRS has set a pace the others are having trouble matching in more ways than one.
    The need to cut further is just not justifiable, they're doing great things for you and I. Not like anything I've ever owned in the last 45 years.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I agree with you but still thats not what consumers are used to seeing or expect especially at the time of the most important hamfest and show of the year.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I seem to remember Flex having special pricing during Dayton in previous years. Maybe they are just waiting until tomorrow to announce it?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Buy 100 Flex6600M's and get one free !
    73 Mike

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2019
    There are two schools of thought on this matter. 

Inflate your prices by 15-20% on products you sell to your customers 50 or so weeks out of the year and then drop your price for those 14 days.

Or you can pass on the 15-20% saving to your customers 52 weeks out of the year and makeup the15-20% differential with increased volume.

Yes, we know there is a psychological dynamic when you think you're getting a deal, but we feel that it is a greater advantage when the customer knows they do not have to wait for a hamfest or Black Friday before they can order a radio.  It allows them to buy without a date constraint.

We aggressively priced the radios out of the gate to compete and we feel this provide our customers a better value and buying experience.

This is the business decision we made and we felt it was the right one.  If you have a difference of opinion, that is OK too.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    In the past I thought Flex offered $100 on a 6300, $200 on a 6500 and maybe $250 on a 6700. These represented something less than 5% discount but gave people an incentive to buy. I guess if you don't have radios in stock to sell, it probably doesn't make sense having a sale.

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    But we're talking about the current game changers 6400 & 6600 that has the competition well on their heels. Totally different animal this year.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

In the  past, Flex has announced show pricing at Midnight (Central Time?)  of the night before Dayton

So rather than speculating - just wait a few hours

• Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited May 2018
    Maybe they're waiting to see what Kenwood announces. ;-)
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Howard,

I think Tim already said they were not doing it and explained their reasons above. He even pointed out that if people don't like it that's "great."
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    We have radio in stock. Your assumption is incorrect.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Sorry Tim, I didn't realize you had caught up to where new radios were available for immediate shipment. Good job! Hopefully you will sell a lot of them at Xenia.
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So Tim, I guess it's safe for us to assume Flex, in the past, subscribed to this policy:
    There are two schools of thought on this matter.  
    Inflate your prices by 15-20% on products you sell to your customers 50 or so weeks out of the year and then drop your price for those 14 days.
    Just curious because Flex most definitely offered hamvention pricing in the past.

Jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    That is what we hoping to do!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    We have not taken reservations or deposits for at least weeks now.

We did have discounts on the 1st Generation FLEX-6000, but with the 6400(M) and 6600(M) radios, we came out of the gate with aggressive pricing.  
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It's not the deal you got but the deal you think you got that counts
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yes you did!

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • Kurt Onvijfdz
    Kurt Onvijfdz Member
    edited May 2018
    Do not complain, you can at least buy one. We can still wait. It was a hamvention ago that I ordered one ....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.