Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are there any differences between Flex6600+Maestro and Flex6600M?

Dietmar K
Dietmar K Member
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Hi Community

I'm really strugling whether I should buy the Flex6600M or an Flex6600+Maestro.

The only functional differences I can spot is the lower display resolution in the Maestro and the apability to add an external monitor at the Flex6600M.

Are there any more?

What about the product lifecyle? Will the support for the Maestro last as long as for the Flex6600M?

Are there features planned for the Flex6600m not possible with the Flex6600+Maestro.

Thanks all!

//Dietmar

Answers

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If this is important to you, the 6600M gives you the ability to operate it without a PC (although I'm guessing most people will end up preferring to operate the 6600M on a PC anyway).

The 6600M has more items that can fail, screen, knobs, and buttons.  Of course those items can fail on the Maestro as well.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Most people buy the Maestro for portable reasons. working remote on WAN or home network.
    As some people need a radio that operates without a computer, the M models come into play.

Flex will support all products as long as it is possible. They still fully support radios that are 20 years old. As long as parts are still found.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    As KF4HR said the 6600M gives you ability to operate the radio as a self contained unit without need for PC or other external client.

I changed my order from the 6600M to a 6600 and Maestro. For me having the Maestro to operate from the family room when watching sports or out on the deck in the summer time is the big advantage. Plus I operate from the local park with Maestro on battery pack since there is public WiFi in the park.

I now have two Maestros (already had one with the 6500/6700). The original Maestro is now on my desk at the office and the new Maestro is here at home set up in the family room.

At home I use the RadioSport Traveller headset which uses a TRRS plug. I found a Y cable on Amazon which splits it to the mic2 and headphone jacks. I use the RadioSport hand PTT switch for keying.

In the field I use either the Traveller headset or for Field Day I use the RadioSport RS60-CF headset. They make a cable to go directly into the Maestro with right angle 1/8" TRS connectors.

Dave wo2x

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Main thing is the Maestro can be used from anywhere in the world that has a descent internet connection remotely to use your radio back home which of course you can also do with a computer or IPad/Iphone with either model. 
    Bret
    WX7Y

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited February 2018
    This is a little misleading.... if you want to operate digital or if you use the Antenna Genius, you need a PC as none of these functions are supported on the Maestro or M models.... I have a 6700 and a Maestro but also must use the PC to operate digital and to control the Antenna Genius
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    True, you do need a PC for digital modes with either the 6600 or 6600M. The point is 6600 + Maestro gives Flexibility of operating remote (even digital modes with accompanying laptop and VPN connection).
  • Dietmar K
    Dietmar K Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi everbody

many thanks for all replies! 

Yes, I think the "couch-factor" should not be forgotten and there are no functional gaps, so I'll go for a Flex6600+Maestro

... waiting in DL ...

//Dietmar
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Not sure if it a right place to ask, but decided to post my questions here anyway:
    1. In case I buy 6600+Maestro and install SSDR SW, will my SSDR follow up changes on Maestro?
    If it does, does it mirror completely one screen to another?
    2. Same as opposite, will Maestro follow up on changes in SSDR? If it does, does it mirror completely one screen to another?
    3. With current SW, what Maestro shows if you scan 4 bands? I understand it can do only 2.
    4. Can I set few bands scanning and save it as a Profile, for example "Day bands" and maybe "Night Bands" or "CW" and ""SSB" and call this Profiles when i want to scan them. I do not want to set it up every time.
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sergey,

I think you are asking what happens if you run your Maestro and SSDR on a PC simultaneously.  You can't do that (at least not yet).  You can only run one client at a time (either your Maestro or SSDR on your PC).
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The feature you want is called Multi-client. "Coming soon"

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What does it mean? With current SW when I tune Maestro, I can’t see changes on external monitor? SSDR can’t be connected? The work around to get 6600 and do not get Maestro? But I need knobs . Now I am confused, I mean I understand what you are saying, but confused what to do.... Thanks Sergey,KN7K
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You cant use Maestro and SSDR at same time.  Not yet anyway. Only one client at a time.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    1. In case I buy 6600+Maestro and install SSDR SW, will my SSDR follow up changes on Maestro? If it does, does it mirror completely one screen to another?

No.  When you are connected to SmartSDR for Windows, you cannot connect to the Maestro at the same time

2. Same as opposite, will Maestro follow up on changes in SSDR? If it does, does it mirror completely one screen to another?

No.  When you are connected to Maestro, you cannot connect to the SmartSDR for Windows at the same time

3. With current SW, what Maestro shows if you scan 4 bands? I understand it can do only 2.

The Maestro will only display 2 panadapters at a time

4. Can I set few bands scanning and save it as a Profile, for example "Day bands" and maybe "Night Bands" or "CW" and ""SSB" and call this Profiles when i want to scan them. I do not want to set it up every time.

Scanning is not allowed.  But you can create the profiles and when you recall them you will be on that band you have configured.  Then you have to manually tune the bands
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thank you all for reply's.
    So, the bottom line is in case I get 6600+Maestro and I want to monitor 3-4 bands, I have to disconnect Maestro and use only SSDR, right?
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you Rich. How soon? 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sergey, you are asking the wrong guy. I am just another guy waiting for it as well :)

I am not planning on it anytime soon.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    If you want to monitor the 3-4 bands at the same time, the answer is yes.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    It is planned for an upcoming version of SmartSDR v2.  We do not have a specific release that it is planned for.
  • N3RC
    N3RC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Any performance issues between 6600m and 6600 + Maestro?

Believe the  connection to Maestro from 6600 is 100mb ethernet, any  performance/refresh issues if running on  hardware lan or fast wifi?

Roger N3RC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.