Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

W10 1803 Update 4/30/18

Jim  KJ7S
Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
A bit of a problem, but not unexpected.
     Here's what I did:
Uninstalled two previous versions of SSDR, .30 and .32 (using IOBit Uninstaller).
dwnlded and installed W10/1803. upon restart, received the  expected (sort of) error with DAX.
I then re-installed .33 over the existing .33 still in the machine, with the radio off. Restarted machine agn., and all returned to normal, with the exception that I had to "re-aim" the external program(s) to the proper sound devices (WSJT-X, etc). Everything seemed to settle down after the relatively minor inconveniences.

Comments

• Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    yes i force the update but on them big update i fine if you uninstall the flex software do the update then reinstall no problems

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Can you send me a link to IO bit uninstaller?
  • kd5foy
    kd5foy Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    google is your friend.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I forced the 1803 update this afternoon too. I did a really sloppy clean removal of SmartSDR, and suffered some DAX issues after reinstalling SmartSDR, Don't get sloppy, do a clean removal of SmartSDR, maybe even polish things after the removal and you will probably have no DAX issues. SmartCAT problems were non-existant.
    Before the removal it might help, if you deselect any DAX selections in SmartSDR, and in the DAX Control Panel, then add the selections back after you successfully reinstall SmartSDR. Other than the operator glitches this update was no more difficult than the other Win10 updates.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I just saw Tim's alert on the pending 1803 update. I wish I saw this last night. This morning I just loaded the latest Flex version on a new PC I'm using with my Flex 6500. Fresh install of Win 10 PRO that shows ver 1709.  Assuming Tim is listening, I'm assuming I should uninstall the current version according to the last part of his procedure. Question 1, is the Windows uninstall sufficient, or should I use Revo? Next, request the 1803 update, say a prayer and pull the trigger. Reinstall the latest version, hope and pray!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    If DAX is working properly, uninstalling Windows with removing DAX on the last and latest install should be fine.  Uninstallers like Revo are only needed after DAX is hosed up and the uninstaller fails.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Question - if you are running 1709 and have your update settings configured to let you to delay 1803 for a long time ( e.g. SIX MONTHS, a year, etc ), what is the downside of just not installing 1803? Or asked another way, if you are not interested in the new features in 1803, why install it now? Is it reasonable to think that another update may become available that doesn’t impact DAX. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    True that Tim and thanks for the reminders of complete uninstall/restart/install. I generally use IOBit stuff to take care of a lot of the 'maintenance' on the machine as it seems to do a good job and doesn't need a whole bag of 'Computer Science Cookies' to get it done hihi.  The last time I did a complete uninstall, including the manual 'RegEdit', was a pain I don't care to repeat too often.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    This is a good question.  The answer probably has to do with stability.  Some people wait for a few months to let the more grievous of defects get fixed before jumping ship. Others are fearless and jump into the muddy water without knowing how deep the water really is ;-)

I, on the other hand, have no choice.  My work/test machine will be upgraded later this week to support the new OS level.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    And there is the reason we will not publish a procedure that requires Windows "brain surgery" with a hatchet (Regedit).  It's just too easy to mess up and make your OS comatose.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I know that Tim prefers the manual uninstall procedures, and I have no experience with IOBit, but I presume it's a lot like RevoPro, which I've been using for at least 2-3 years to do full, clean, uninstalls...not only of SSDR, but many other programs I've tried out and decide to part with.  It seems to keep the registry clean and re  Imoves all traces of whatever it's sicced' on, as long as you use the 'Advanced Scan' feature.  Like IOBit, it doesn't require much in the way of advanced computer knowledge.  At the moment, I'm letting 1803 download on this laptop, after cleaning off SSDR.  I did the same on the main shack desktop after getting the expected DAX error on the first attempt.  That one is working fine, at least for now.

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tim DAX is working fine under 1709. You stated, " uninstalling Windows with removing DAX on the last and latest install should be fine." I presume you mean uninstalling using the Windows uninstaller ... right? Since it's a new clean install. I'm thinking to install by backup (before the Flex install) , see if I can get 1803, than install the Flex software directly into 1803. That should eliminate the possibility of problems related to the update process.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So Jay, to save some time would you say that an uninstall of Flex software, using iObot is thorough enough? Has anyone ever compared its uninstall to the manual one?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I haven't compared, mine are always manual clean reinstalls, using the procedure described in the article on the Zen Desk. Do them often enough, and they don't take very long. I usually only go to that much trouble only after an update breaks things.
    Do It sloppy, like I did today, and they take a little longer.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    It should have read...

If DAX is working properly, uninstalling all versions of SmartSDR and removing DAX on the last and latest install should be fine.  Uninstallers like Revo are only needed after DAX is hosed up and the uninstaller fails.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I followed Tim instructions, let Win 10 upgrade do its thing, reinstalled Flex .33 and all is fine.  Only thing I had to do was reassign the Dax Audio RX 1 and Dax Audio TX for my Rtty Soundcard choices.  Smooth as silk upgrade.  
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have nothing uninstalled before i start the W10 update. I only close before update  DAX and CAT.

After W10 update i fire up SSDR - not any problem. Nothing to reinstall here.

73 Chris
    DL5NAM
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Chris, you are right.

The problem with SSDR vs W10 updates has always been to do with the fact that DAX and CAT get left active and running during the update process.

Simple fix: create yourself a quick batch file that terminates DAX and CAT processes as part of your normal close down routine. That way DAX and CAT are never left hanging. I did the opposite for start-up as well, as often I don't want them auto-starting for no good reason.

ps. no problem at all with PSDR vs W10-1803, been running it for about a month now.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This was very GOOD information. I updated all my Windows 10 computers last night to W10 1803... Took about an hour!! However I do not have any SSDR software or DAX loaded as I do not have a Flex 6600M yet,, but that ALL CHANGES on Wednesday when the UPS driver rings my doorbell to drop it off!!! :-) 

CQ,CQ,, WA6PHN,, Can You Hear Me Now!!! :-)

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So the logical Microsoft progression will be to follow 1803 with numerous fixes to problems we users submit, or should I say discover for Microsoft. After installing 1803, just curious how many will suspend any subsequent updates for as long as possible?
  • KF3F
    KF3F Member
    edited May 2018
    Same here. Updated last night in anticipation of Wednesday's 6600 delivery.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So if we both turn on our 6600 radios on Wednesday, will the Earth Shift on its Axis by 3 deg due to the EMP being generated from our ham shacks???? :-)
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    OK, I followed the advice of one of the above posters, I made sure DAX and CAT were turned off, that is shut down.  I did NOT remove anything.  Forced the WIN 10 1803 update, all went well, no issues at all, phew.
    Peter
    W2PP
  • Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited May 2018

Tim.....I'm lazy.  I've blocked the update for now.  Rather than go thru the uninstall process that you've described is there any sense in just sitting tight at my current windows version on the assumption that there will be an SSDR update that mitigates this problem?

73....Frank

• Bob - G3WKW
    Bob - G3WKW Member
    edited May 2020
    I agree I hated that DAX and CAT were always running and have always removed them from startup after every install. I use a bat file to start them and SSDR when needed. I only once had a problem with updates which was when updates occurred while DAX was loaded. Now I am more careful.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've had Windows update issues with DAX and Cat turned off. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    I agree I hated that DAX and CAT were always running and have always removed them from startup after every install. 

This behavior will change in SmartSDR v2.2.  SmartSDR will start DAX and CAT when it is loaded and will shut them down when SmartSDR is shut down.  You can change this behavior too.  However, if you want to have DAX and CAT run at boot time, you will have to create your own shortcuts and place them in the startup folder
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Finally!

but for the sake of others, what about the guys on v1.x do they have to live with this culpable design mistake or will the change be bug-fixed in v1.x also?

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Im hoping this new feature will be also in the Maestro, as I havent used SmartSDR for a while, prefer the Maestro

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.