Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter works well with PowerSDR

Options
K9JRI
K9JRI Member
edited April 2018 in New Ideas

I have been concerned that the lack of FireWire ports on new computers was going to be a problem for Flex 3K & 5K owners that wanted to upgrade their computers.  I am running PowerSDR on my Mac mini using Bootcamp and Windows 8.1 but this is the last Mac computer to support FireWire directly.

Apple has released a $29 Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter that works well with either Windows or OS X so I purchased one today.  I plugged it in, removed my FireWire 800 to 400 cable from the built in port and re-connected it to the $29 adapter.  PowerSDR 2.7.2 came up running just fine wit no indications of any issues.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I can concur with this, it worked for me when I tested it on an Asus G750vx laptop.

• Richard Serván
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As my old SYBA TI Firewire Expresscard dont work on my new Thinkpad P71, can I conect my Flex 3000 firewire cable to USB C notebook conector using the Apple adaptor?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options

3 weeks ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience 
      Official Response

There isn't an alternative solution to using the FLEX-5000 and FLEX-3000 with a non-native Firewire interface.  It will just not work if the 1394 bus is being emulated by a different physical interface.  It will also not work if the FIrewire interface is not 100% IEEE 1394 compliant too.  The only thing I have heard might work is a Thunderbolt interface with the Firewire connector.
    • Neal - K3NC
      Neal - K3NC Inactive Employee ✭✭
      edited April 2018
      Options
      I tested my 5000A with an Apple Thunderbold->1394 adapter and it came up and worked for a few minutes. I was using the thunderbolt port from an ASUS ROG 17" laptop. I did not do extensive tests but it came up and worked for everything I did for a while.

YMMV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.