Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No waterfall or spectrum in SmartSDR

Adde Tjernberg
Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Ok... What do we have here.... I tought it was a port forwading issue but SmartLink tells me it's all OK... 

When my computer is on the same network as the 6600 it works fine. This happens when I try to run from home (6600 is 180km away). It also works when I teather my Phone to the computer. This tells me that everything is OK at the remote side.

Before the 6600 I used a 6300 and there where no issues at all.

Any suggestions?

I'm working remote.image

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I had the same problem on my inbound firewall. Turns out it was a hardware setting on the user end NIC card. What are you using for an inbound router? Mike
  • Kevin Conde
    Kevin Conde Member
    edited April 2018
    I’d suspect a troop of pesky demented beavers have built a **** **** upstream and shut down the waterfall.
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Mike, I’m using a USG from Ubiquiti. The other very strange thing is that when I connect thrugh my neighbours wifi it does not work either. We have the same ISP and I’m starting to suspect that they have done something... the ISP have upgraded (or downgraded?) some of the equipement.
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    FWIW.... SmartSDR for iOS works just fine...
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Update.... Found this old post: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartlink-waterfall-and-spectrum-do-not-display-fro...

Just tried the SoftEther VPN trick but it doesn't work either.... :(
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2018
    Yes, I had the same problem.  However, I did a post in the community where I found that changing a hardware setting on my PFSense router solved the issue.   Just reading your other post, on a Softether VPN connection, the waterfall/panadapter was just fine.  

• Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Don't know if this is a step forward finding the issue but when I make the SmartSDR window smaller, I get the Spectrum back. However, No waterfall.

Made a 20sec video... Enjoy... https://youtu.be/B6K3CzBZmpU

(This is with SmartLink. When I use SoftEther VPN I have to make the window even a little bit smaller in order fo get the same result).

• Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Mike... Can't find the old post you are referring to.. What hw setting did you change?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    It was one of the NIC hardware offloading parameters.  It was changed not to offload things like TCP segmentation or large receive offloading
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    This issue is due to your router or the end router is blocking UDP packet fragmentation.
  • John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018

Here is a picture of a problem I had a few weeks ago, I had to reset my 6600M to fix the problem. It's been fine since.

I call this picture “Somewhere Over The HF Rainbow” ;)
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Tim,

Unfortunately it's not related to my router, or my computer. I have ruled that out after tests from three different locations in the town where I live... Used two different computers. Same network operator on all locations. Connected the computers directly to the FTTH-box. It does not work.... When I use any other network operator it works flawlessly... I thought a VPN-tunnel should do the trick but the result is the same...

Open to any suggestions....

73 de Adde

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    You said re setting fixed it? Is it still doing it?
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Not me... It was John.... :) 
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ok, still struggling with this... When I change the size if the window (making it about 1/4 in size of fullscreen) I get the spectrum back, But the waterfall is still not there. Is there any difference in how the data is hadled that could explain why this is occurring?

73 de Adde

• 1525labs
    1525labs Member
    edited April 2018
    I am running into the same issue. In fullscreen on my laptop I cannot get a decent refresh rate and no waterfall. Tried several different connections over smartlink, The window resize trick atleast gets me back to being able to use the radio remotely with the pano but no waterfall. 
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Steve Hicks addresses this as a SmartLink bug, "#3" in this Community thread. SmartLink does the same thing in SmartSDR for Windows and in Maestro.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    Adde,

We have diagnosed a multitude of SmartLink related network issues.  When we see a display like yours or no display with a black box in the middle of the waterfall, in all cases it was because some device in the network/Internet connection between the radio and the SmartLink enabled client is blocking or discarding the VIATA-49 UDP packets.

You have validated that SmartLink works with your home configuration because it works with your iPhone tether, so you can rule out the end of the connection where the radio resides. 

That leaves all of the ISPs that are involved in getting network traffic from the ISP that your radio is connected to the client end and the final router that is providing you service, be it wired or wireless.
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ok, thanks. I tought a VPN should solve this issue. Isn’t that the whole point with a VPN. That all traffic is in the tunnel?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    SmartLink is not a VPN tunnel. It works on a completely different set of principles and network protocols.

A VPN tunnel, if it is configured to bridge two subnets that have the same IP network address, will work as a remote access solution.
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yes, I know that SmartLink is not a VPN-tunnel. But there was a suggestion to set-up a VPN-tunnel, and I did that, and do not use SmartLink, but it still doesn't work.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    Have you reviewed this Community post on setting up a VPN.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/setting-up-a-vpn-with-softether
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Will check that out, thanks. My experience with VPN’s are quite limited.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.