Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New to Flex SDR radios, Question on SmartSDR and 6400M

Thomas NE7X
Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am new to Flex and SmartSDR, so I have a basic question.

I have a pre-order for a 6400M. My main interest in purchasing the "M" model was because I do not want it to be a requirement to use an external PC to operate the radio. I want the radio to be 100% stand-along and not tethered to a PC for operation. Its OK to required a PC to perform updates and configurations to the radio, however once the update has been performed, I want to dethatch the radio from the PC. 

QUESTION

When the radio is connected to the PC and I make configuration changes (Example: To the Panadapter colors) using SmartSDR, and then disconnect the PC from the radio, will the changes made under SmartSDR stay configured on the radio?

NE7X...

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    Most configuration changes are stored in the radio.  Some configuration changes are "client" specific and are stored locally.  By client, I mean the interface that comments to the radio, be it SmartSDR for Windows, SmartSDR for iOS, a Maestro or the front panel of an M series radio (SmartSDR-M).

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Since I will only be using my 6400M in "stand alone" mode, do I still need to purchase a SmartSDR license in order to perform firmware updates to the radio?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    the 6400M already includes a V2 SSDR License
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    In fact they will only run v2.1 and above. When v3 is released and I have my 12 slice Flex 9700 with the power genie 3.0* you will have to pay to upgrade. *not a forward looking statement
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@Thomas

You really should try SSDR on the PC also... You will be amazed at how much better and more useful it is than the knobs.

Yes I understand how hard it is to break old habits..

I have had a Maestro since the beginning.. Yes.. knobs are a bit faster in contests. 

BUT for everything else a big computer screen with everything easily at your finger tips is so 21st century better and more useful...

BTW.. I would never want to work a DX pileup again on a tiny screen with knobs - so much quicker to see the bands, click and jump in the right spot to work the dx on the first call...

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I never understood the fascination with knobs in contesting. I work faster with N1MM arrow keys. Ria N2RJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.