Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New 6600M and Electro-Voice RE320 output levels

Received my new 6600M last week and hooked up the hand mike with it came with and it worked just fine. Then tried hooking up the Electro-Voice RE320 to the 1/4" balanced jack and had no audio output with mic gain 100% +20db boost on and even tried with bias on. The only way I got it to work so so ( not hitting 0db on meter) was to run it though my W2IHY EQ plus and 8 band EQ. Does this RE320 really need that much more boost (preamp) for it to work properly with my 6600M? I did check out the new cable with ohm meter and checked good. Thoughts?

P.S. Hand mic worked well for the the contest over the weekend :)

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For those mics it is common for people to use an outboard mic amp to work correctly.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I use an Electro-Voice RE320 with my 6500 and it works fine with no outboard pre-amp required. I am using the rear balanced input. Do you have the correct mic input selected on the 6600M? And did you turn off the bias?

Craig, KØCF

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I use a Electro voice re-20 with my 6500 and it has just enough gain feeding into the balanced connector.

Mic gain on  96%

Processor on DX

+20 db boost

• Jim Draker
    Jim Draker Member
    edited March 2019
    I tried with bias on and off. It only worked with the bias turned on. I did not see anything about choosing which mic input selected. You talking mic jacks or mic profiles? I tried some different profiles
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Jim, on page 64 of the 6600M User Guide it tells about choosing the correct mic input. On the 6600, there are two mic inputs. Unlike other radios, the Flex requires you to choose the mic input you are using. The mic selector is on the left side of the control panel. The RE320 is a dynamic mic, so the bias should be turned OFF. My mic gain is set at 69% and easily drives the mic level meter to 0dB.

Craig, KØCF

p.s I am just about 30 miles south of you in Iowa City!

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That RE320 should not be using BIAS.  

Did not realize you were Iowa boys.  Ankeny here :)

RIch
  • Jim Draker
    Jim Draker Member
    edited March 2018

I see that now Craig on page 64 Mic1 and Mic2 and etc. I bet I need to select R-BAL for rear balance? is that correct for what I am thinking? or mic1 or mic2?

P.S. Nice having you as a neighbor. Not very nice outside today :( 

• Jim Draker
    Jim Draker Member
    edited March 2018
    Hello Rich, I am just N.W. of Cedar Rapids. New to the Flex family. Was very impressed with the 6600M over the weekend Contest.
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    R-Bal. Should work fine. I use a RE-27 .
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Not having a 6600M, I am just guessing here... Probably R BAL. There is more info on page 146, too. There they show just MIC and BAL, plus the Line inputs. Missed that the first time. Also a section early on in the manual (p.14 I think) about wiring the mic connector.

On my 6500, they are labelled MIC and BAL, where MIC is the front panel Foster 8-pin connector.

Yeah, **** weather for sure!

Hi to you Rich! A lot of Flexes in Iowa, it would seem.

Craig, KØCF
  • Jim Draker
    Jim Draker Member
    edited March 2018

Thanks for the help Craig, I will check it out when I get home after work.

73's Jim, WG0U

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    By the way I am running the RE320 as well.  I did not mention it because I have W2IHY EQplus and iPlus inline. Although the iPlus is passive, the EQplus does have gain so did not figure my comments were relevant.

I know it worked direct into the Foster on my 6500.

Rich

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Its an impressive radio. For the most part I love mine.
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You will also need to turn on the TX EQ and remove a bunch of bass. I use 63 -10, 125 -6, 250 0, 500 +5, 1k +7, 2k +7, 4k +7, 8k +7. The processor on at normal. This will be a place for starters. I use a RE-27.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I use the Electro-Voice RE320 with my new Flex 6600 and it works great!   It's plugged into the back of the radio to the 1/4" balanced jack.  Make sure your mike input is set to "BAL".  +20db selected and no bias.  My mic gain is set at approx 65-75 (proc normal) which is plenty! 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Jim,.

I don't know if that is an error in the manual or what. But my 6600m does not have M- and R- in front of the inputs.  Its just BAL, MIC, LINE and ACC. Maybe this is for those that would run a Maestro on a M radio.

I find Flex's implementation of this confusing. They look like setup menus however you need to leave it on the proper input when you exit.  As an example if you go and setup the BAL and then click MIC and look at it and then leave the setting is MIC.  So make sure its on the BAL tab on left and then close the menu.

Rich

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Rich

The M- and R-, refer to how it worked when the Maestro was a separate unit. M- indicates a jack on the Maestro, R- indicates a jack on the radio itself. so that either can be selected and used.

#Flexradio

73, Jay / NO5J

• gary
    gary Member
    edited March 2018
    I just received a notice that my Flex 6600 (with Maestro) is getting ready to ship, but I'm a little confused about accessory cables & jack configurations to order for a better mic than the handheld that they say comes with it. I was told that if I don't specify, the 6600 comes with the 1/8-inch mic connector jack...but I see that Cal (N3CAL) is using the Electro-Voice RE320 plugged into the back to the 1/4" jack. There's a pretty good $329 package for this on amazon, so wondering if I need to specify my 6600 build with a dedicated 1/4" balanced jack? And do I order the Flex XLR to 1/4" Balanced TRS accessory cable?  Also, what do I do about triggering the separate back-panel PTT RCA jack? Would I also be able to use all this with the Maestro? Advice please.                                                                                                                          Gary / WA2TXR
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Gary,

The 6600 comes from Flex with both a 1/8" mic jack and a 1/4" balanced mic jack on the back of the radio.  The RE320 is a XLR balanced mic so your best option is connecting it straight to the back of the 6600 1/4" balanced jack (XLR to 1/4" Balanced TRS cable).  You will need a seperate PTT option like a foot switch or a hand PTT trigger which plugs into the back RCA Jack. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Jim Draker
    Jim Draker Member
    edited March 2019

Well guys set to BAL and +20db boost and BIAS off and all is working good!!!

Thank you all for the for all the help and replies. This is awesome to have Community forum with people helping out each other like you do!

73's Jim WG0U

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That's great news Jim. Glad it is working for you.

You can blame this little issue on Tim. He is on leave right now and this thread should be far enough down the list when he gets back he will never know :)

Rich
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Glad it all came together.  Enjoy.

73,  Jim  K6JR
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Even with +20 boost, circuitry gain is too low with my RE27.  Preamp required.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I think that is most common to use an outboard preamp with this mic, some here say they don't need any help, but I don't no how. Maybe that is why they run the mic gain around 65 or 70.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    With the RE20, the boost on running at 100 mic gain, the level is correct. 
    With the SM57, the boost on running at 85 mic gain, the level is correct. 
    It does feel a little odd to run such high gain levels in respect to an audio board. 
    This was done going into the TRS Balanced 1/4 jack.

Dan
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I think your right Bill. I use a Symetrix 528e with mine. 

Dan
  • gary
    gary Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Cal...much appreciated.
    Gary/WA2TXR
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Happy to help Gary!  Congrats on the the 6600!  73

Cal / N3CAL

• Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Anyone interested in the RE320 there is a package deal from BSW that includes the mic, shock mount, pop screen and XLR cable for $299. Here's the link. I've purchased from them and recommend.

https://www.bswusa.com/Dynamic-Microphones-Electrovoice-RE320-Package-P7592.aspx

Scott N1SER
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That's a good deal. Unfortunately, I don't like EVs shock mount as it is to bulky with the oversized U on the top. Have one sitting in the drawer currently.

Best price I have seen.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.