Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

160 WAS!

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I finally did it!

I changed the 80 Meter Inverted L to 160 Meters yesterday.  (Added about 70 ft of wire to the top.)

Tonight I worked KL7J on FT8. He copied me -19 and I copied him -21 using my 40 meter elevated vertical as a receive antenna.

That now gives me WAS on 160, 80, 40, 30, 30, 17, 15 Meters.  (with only 100 watts)

I only need 8 states on 12 Meters, 5 states on 10 meters, and 10 states on 6 meters to have them all!

Thanks to Flex for the wonderful receiver, the ease of digital interfaceing, and the best panadapter in the Amateur world.  I am really stoked tonight.  But now I need to get some sleep!  if I can!

Ken - NM9P

Comments

• Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Congratulations Ken!

Gary W4EEY
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Congrats Ken!   Nice job.  It seems like FT8 has really helped a few people I know make it to WAS and other awards!
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken, that's wonderful.  Now come join us on 630.

Bob, KN4HH
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Nice job Ken!

I've been chasing DXCC in 30 and up to 104 worked and 81 confirmed thanks to a dedicated 30 meter dipole and FT8.

Dave wo2x

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Congrats Ken.  I did not put up an inverted L until last year for 160. I had a balanced line 160 1/2 wave and assumed I could not improve on it.  Boy was I wrong.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bob, I received my approval a couple of months ago, and have monitored several JT9 and WSPR stations on 630 so far.  But Antenna and amplifier issues may prevent me for a while.  I do plan on experimenting there eventually!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That's cool!!! I haven't finished 160 WAS yet. It's not as easy as it sounds...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    And an inverted L is so simple if you have a couple of supports... even 35 ft above ground makes a workable antenna.  I only have 2 radials, one elevated about 8-10 ft, and the other lying on the ground.  (I plan to elevate it before the next contest.)

I may remove the dipole altogether and simply go with an 80/160 Inverted L.  My L is 35 ft up and about 90 out, or so....lots of pruning at first.  Then I may remove my 80 meter OCF DIpole, which is on the same tower, so that it will reduce interaction during the 160 contest.  
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Inverted L is great for DX. Doesn't work that well for local comms. Since I do mostly DX I have two inverted Ls in phase beaming europe now but the L section is about 20 feet
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It is the easiest antenna I have ever installed. I started it at the side of house and went up as high I could and then the rest horizontal.  I really have nothing for radials except the wires that connect the 3 ground rods. I 'think' I have really good soil so maybe that helps (midwest pastorial).

It is 10db over my 160 meter 1/2 wave to everywhere I work.

I honestly would have not put it up but I was talked into installing one of those 80 meter EFHW antennas with a 55:1 UNUN. As a test I took out the UNUN and fed it direct since the 130' EFHW is a 1/4 wave on 160.

In the end I ended up putting a 12 volt relay outside which either uses the 55:1 or bypasses it for 160.  Great setup with lots of flexibility.

Once again, congrats.  My last two for 160 were Alaska and Hawaii.  Picked those up last month so have all 50 finally.

And Ria, my inverted L is low and is way stronger than my 1/2 wave to the locals.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You have 160 DXCC but not WAS?  I guess life (and propagation) is different on the east coast!   

I only have 27 DX countries on 160, but then I haven't tried much yet.
    I DID get 49 states in one night in the 160 CW contest last year

I LOVE the 160 contests, but haven't been able to participate in any yet this season.

I with they had a 160 RTTY contest...now THAT would be fun!  My two favorites all wrapped up in one package!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.