Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Digital Loggers 240V ethernet controlled relay switch.

K1UO Larry
K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I was talking with the Engineers at Digital Loggers asking about creating a box controlled via ethernet  that could switch one or two 240V AC lines. I am specifically looking to be able to switch the 240VAC power on/off to my Remote HF Amplifier.  They wanted me to email them with a description of what I was looking for and they would evaluate it and determine if there is demand for such a product to develop.  If anyone is also interested, please email me and i will include them with my "description" of what is needed.  Something that can be inserted in the 220V line without cutting or modifying the original power cable.   If you are "technical" minded and could describe what is needed in your own words, feel free to send along that info also.

I am too old and sight impaired to be breadbording my own and so far have not found a solution in many searches.

Sorry for the Bandwidth..  Just thought any Hams with REMOTE station situations would be interested.

Regards
Larry  K1UO

Comments

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    For the wording you basically you want one of these for 220V 20A:

https://www.amazon.com/3Gstore-Remote-Power-IP-Switch/dp/B00LLVQ9OI

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What is the current handling of the outlets on the switchs from Amazon, looking at the outlets the Chinese one is 250V @ 10 Amps which is to small for the AMP. I think

and are both legs switched? 

For a DLI switch I would be game for a two outlet switch @ 220V 20A 
    If there to expensive then I will just put a Double pole relay on the Switch I already have for the radio.

Thanks
    Bret
    WX7Y

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You might want to take a look at some of these

https://gembird.com/item.aspx?id=6754

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You're right!

The one I referenced is only 10A... too small for my KW's. I was only suggesting this as the type I would like to see offered also. A two outlet version would also be ideal for me as I currently have two amps plugged into my custom two outlet box now.

Another company that makes one of these is https://www.synaccess-net.com/switched. But again it's only rated at 10A.

Joe
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think i'll just get a Relay and attach it to my existing 12V switch like this one or one similar.

https://www.amazon.com/PC730-2C-C3-12D-Rated-Power-Relay-Flange/dp/B074XDMNFD/ref=sr_1_3?s=industria... 

the price is right anyway 
    Bret
    WX7Y

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I love the digital loggers folks, If you want I can drive over and talk to them. count me in as being as someone who things this would be a useful product.  N6WM
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I love the digital loggers too.  I have a bunch of them.  But to switch 240 I think they will find it is not a big market.

So this is really not that hard to do with say a Raspberry Pi ($35) and something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SSR-25AA-80-250V-24V-380V-Machinery-Control/dp/B01MZ2B0LA/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=...

Which costs $9.  We'd just need 24V and a relay driver or FET to turn on the input.  That device can handle 25A too.  I haven't looked but there are probably others with more current ability.

It would be pretty easy to write a small piece of code that allowed you to turn on/off a relay from anywhere.

Just an option.  Certainly more work than going online and hitting the order button.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    probably have to have two SSR to switch both legs of the 220V but a great Idea.
    Bret
    WX7y

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yes agreed!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I would like to make use of an Ethernet RELAY switch myself but am gun shy now. A couple years back a friend and I were using a Digital Loggers DIN Relay III to auto switch our SixPak antenna switches. My friend wrote a software that worked excellent with the Flex 6K until we discovered that model emitted birdies EVERYWHERE that it shouldn't be. No amount of choking would work, we killed and bypassed the internal switcher supply, Wasn't the switcher. Finally gave up. after it apparent it was hopeless.
    They no longer make that unit DIN Relay III, it has been replaced with the DIN Relay IV. Hopefully that was something they may have addressed.

Anyway this is the unit to steer clear of
    Https://www.digital-loggers.com/din3man.pdf

The switch units you guys are using now, have you widened your pan adapters and taken a close look?
    Not looking to start something I'm interested to know if they are clean before I start another project like that one.

Thanks.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    SSR modules work well, worth their weight in gold.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Clay, I was the developer that helped with that switching code and I bought a DIN relay unit too. It now sits idle on the shelf.

I use this one now for switching 120 VAC:

https://dlidirect.com/products/web-power-switch-7

It is in a metal box and so far I don't see a mega burst of birdees from it.

I don't know what you guys ended up doing for your switching but if you need to reopen that project I might suggest basing something around Raspberry Pi and relay board hats.

I'd be glad to help you guys with code to control those relays.  I'm using a number of Raspberry Pis now to do various things:

1) VPN
    2) A control unit (I have a web page) that controls relays for on/off
    3) A tuner controller
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Well paint me old and losing it, sorry Mark totally slipped my mind that you are the guy Ken was working with. I said it had been a while back. Well the code was sweet, solid. Too bad the device was so dirty. Well now I am using the Denkovi 8 relay board with DDUtil. Also have a Genovation keypad working with it. I like DDUtil much more than I thought I would so it's a keeper for sure. OK so I am now assuming these Ethernet relay AC power controllers are definitely clean, thanks for that info Mark.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Use an ESP8266 wifi module and two SSRs and you could make it wireless for about $20.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The DLI switches are great. I use them for 120VAC control.

Consider an external DPST 240V relay with a 120VAC coil. Something like this: https://www.smarthomeusa.com/remote-controlled-heavy-duty-switch-60-amp-240vac-relay/

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    250 volt 50 amp DPDT with 12 volt dc coil and then just use something like one of the relays on a denkovi 8 relay board with Ethernet to activate the relay coil. I bought this relay for another project a few years ago for under $30 on ebay new and I am just waiting on an enclosure to put it in but its all wired up and works excellent with my QRO HF-2500 DX.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 2018
    You used red as ground???

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Count me in. Would be nice to switch power to the PG XL.

I use the DLI Web Switch Pro and use their AC Relay for Remote On and PTT on the Flex. 
    The Auto Ping feature is nice to auto reboot PC, router, and cable modem if ping fails.

Dave wo2x

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This was a temporary setup just to try it out until i get the enclosure, less bare wires the better.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hmmm..  like this Larry..  Since I have a Microbit Webswitch 1216H with 5 rela control points this would easily work in a nice enclosure.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks guys,  no promises...  just passed the interest and requirements along..    We shall see. 
    Meanwhile I may look to build one using a 12V relay like W6LL Larry pictured above and controlling it with one of the spare control positions my existing Microbit Webswitch 1216H.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Finished 240 volt internet Relay

imageimage
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    nice job!

Dave wo2x
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Stay away from the "DLI DIN Relay" ethernet remote switch.  I have one and it works well, BUT it is loaded with RFI.  The RFI was so bad, that myself and others have hacked into the unit and disabled the internal power supply.   I then run external 5V DC into the unit to feed the operating circuits.  I have tried to contact DLI for a resolution, but no luck.  Brian - W9HLQ
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Which DLI DIN Relay are you having trouble with, They have released 4 versions of the switch's 
    the latest doesn't look like a brick, the first few versions where Tan color and there where some black one and now the latest ones are completely different which are on there WEB site.

Just needed to know which one is noisier then they should be. 
    Thanks
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bret,  mine looks exactly like their web picture, DIN Relay III, black in color.  I guess the DIN means the relay is made to mount in a DIN rack.   I just placed mine on the shelf.  The unit is bullet proof with no false trips and I can control my station from anywhere.  
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The one on the WEB site is a Version 4 https://www.digital-loggers.com/din.html which looks completely different then the Version 3 https://www.digital-loggers.com/din3man.pdf   which are no longer being sold from DLI. 
    I have a version 4 here I can check to see if they are noisy on HF bands still in the box.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    what about this..  this looks like it would work.. no?

https://dlidirect.com/products/universal-input-voltage-pdu

• Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Well, the DLI DIM Relay switches a set of 8 SPDT switches.  I use these to control the   Flex power on and also my remote antenna coax switch.  The PDU you mention looks like it can be used to control 120 VAC to shack items.   For that I use the Belkin WeMo internet relay.  
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Its 240, you can hook amplifiers up to it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.