Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Stand alone Interaface (Flex 6x00 - Maestro - Ultrabeam - Expert Linear)

Hardy
Hardy Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in New Ideas
I have built an interface around a Flexradio 6x00 with Maestro console and amplifier (Expert 2K-FA) and dynamic antenna (Ultrabeam, Steppir is also possible) to be able to use together without PC.

Circuit plan and source text on my web page:

http://dl1glh.de/flexradioconnect.html

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This is just awesome! Thank you for sharing!
  • Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have added just all first version of the web interface. This will soon develop...
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do you have a screen shot?

• Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, have a look again on my web page.

• Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello,

So a device for a Flexradio seems to be very exotic.
    Now, nevertheless, I have extended the web interface for a network accessible
    rotor (Hygain DCU-1).

Now with my maestro and a tablet computer I can work with it wirelessly from everywhere on my area

http://dl1glh.de/flexradioconnect.html

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Cool! Thanks for sharing.
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I was working on this same thing, but it appears to be outside my skillset. I have an ACOM 600S amplifier and could not get connected to the RS-232 interface. It appears I might beed to do a custom cable to make it pinned like one of the few systems it supports for CAT.  I was then going to tie it into the Green Heron RT21 and HT-Auto, but like I said, way outside my skills I think.

• Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello,

I just extended the control to include the expert linear amplifier.
    So all needed for remote operation is now included.

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Re your:http://dl1glh.de/flexradioconnect.html

Are you going to offer this as a kit or complete,ready to use in the near future?           
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    hello all,
    We are looking for an ultrabeam antenna connection scheme with a 6500 flex
    to control the control box the change of bands to the antenna
    who could help us
    tks 73
    on5po, janny
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You can use a USB cable, and connect it like a Kenwood or Elecraft transceiver.
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am currently using an UltraBeam with a USB cable and it is with the RCU-06 controller.
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    hello Ria and Ali,
    Thank you for your answer, we all have the old version of controller.
    Could you explain more, is it enough just to connect the usb cable and db25
    what is the procedure .
    Thank you for helping us
    73, janny
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    sorry rs232 câble and usb,
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Hello Janny,

I purchased the USB to Serial adapter for the FLEX-6000 series  from FRS store, connect the USB side of the cable to one of the two Flex USB port and the RS-232 to the RCU-06 controller.

Then open SmartSDR, go to setup menu and select USB Cable setup.

73s

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Janny.

As Ali said you have to get the USB to serial adapter and configure it. You should have it configured to follow the antenna port. 

Then you get the appropriate cable to use. You would use either the KENWOOD or ELECRAFT compatible cable. 

Connect the cable and setup the controller as you would for KENWOOD or ELECRAFT radios. Make sure it is setup to automatically follow the frequency.

Once that it is done, it will follow the radio as you QSY.

Be careful if you're using an amp. You may want to opt for the tuning relay option if available that unkeys your amp if you are transmitting so only low power goes through the antenna and saves your brushes from arcing.

If you also have an amp, get two USB cables. This is better than conventional knobbed radios because most of them only have one CAT port. With Flex you can have many of them, limited by what USB supports.

See my blog post for SPE 1.3K-FA

http://www.n2rj.com/2016/12/flex-radio-1108-beta-and-serial-port.html

Ria
    N2RJ
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thank you Ria and Ali.
    Ria, I drive my amp only the "ptt" via the "tx1", that's enough for me,
    I suppose that wanting to control the controler, will not influence the control of the amp.
    thank you for your answers, have tried this

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    another question, ,
    no special program is required for the management of the order
    in the controler / flex
    In the (menu) command, there is no flex,
    yaesu, kenwood, icom, cat-ttl, markV
    i guess i have to take yaesu or kenwood?

73,Janny
  • Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hello!

At the time in that my interface has originated there was still no USB cable of Flexradio.

You can use such a cable now and, however, with it allow to transfer only the frequency to the
    Ultrabeam and/or linear amplifier.
    Further control (forward, reverse, bimode, retract) and the PTT protection while sending
    then does not exist.

I use my interface in addition to remote switching of the Flexradio and the linear amplifier
    and to control my rotor. Everything in one box (WITHOUT a PC!) solution.

73, Hardy

PS: Maybe even parts of the solution (hardware schematic or source code) is of use for you.
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    hank you,Hardy,
    if I understand correctly, the fact of ordering via usb, I will not be able to use the command "UP / DN" and 180 ° / bi dir of the box ???

73, janny
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Janny - ask ultra beam tech support how to connect a transceiver.

Then instead of connecting to a radio CAT port you will be using a USB to serial adapter in the back of your Flex.
  • Hardy
    Hardy Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes Janny,

if you use the usb-cable connection from Flexradio you have to set the ultrabeam controller
    (first version)! to one of the available cat-tranceiver protocols. Only frequency is transfered.
    Flexradio doesn't know anything of the antenna. No further control.
    Because of this an much more I use my interface. You can use DDUTIL with an Windows PC -
    but this programme also cannot speak to ultrabeam controller natively - only frequency control.

73, Hardy
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sorry, if I did not understand your answer
    if I use the USB cable, would I still have manual access to the other controls in the box?
    if only the frecence or band  changes with the usb cable and I can always change, others manually control the box, it suits me.
    thank you for answering my question
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You would not have remote control over other functions. It would only allow frequency tracking. 
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ria,
    that I understood correctly, but at the same time can I manually use the other controls of the controller
    this is very important to know,
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes you can use other controls of the controller.

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Perfect allelouia
    I have all my answers to my questions
    if still one, about usb / rs232 cable, I notice that there are several kinds, aurriez you a reference, I must order 3, not to be wrong
    thank you

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hello,
    my last question was certainly wrongly asked:
    Are there several kinds of rs232 -> usb cables or are they all the same, we are 3 to be interested, we would not want to order bad cables.
    Thank you for helping us
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You need a FTDI USB to serial. No other kind of adapter will work.
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    thanks Ria, and the others who helped

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.