Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HF DSTAR with SSDR Beta v1.10.8 Issue

Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
edited April 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've been doing some HF DSTAR Testing (DV)  using the latest SSDR Beta and the v1.1.0.14 Waveform Plugin on my 6500.  Listening to the 6500 using a Icom 7100 it seems there is over a 5-10 second or longer delay after key up before the TX AUDIO goes out.  For a short TX period on the Flex of say 10 seconds the Audio may not get TX, but on the next key up the audio goes out  (like there is some kind of buffer).  It's very odd!   The Digital Data Text (Callsign / Message) seems to get transmitted immediately but the audio is delayed and it seems there is some kind of TX buffer.  Anyone else notice this behavior?   I'm using the ThumbDV and  under settings the USB Cable "DSTAR" is recognized....  I'm not sure if DSTAR issues are covered under the Beta but I thought I would report it just in case.  

Cal/N3CAL

Comments

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yes. I noticed this strange behavor.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the reply Kent!  Basically HF DSTAR is a bust with the latest software!   It's almost like the record function is being used.  The radio stores up your TX audio, delays it for 10-15 seconds before it actually transmits it.  Then it repeats the previous  audio transmissions.  I've also noticed the  USB Cable "DSTAR" is not always displayed even though the ThumbDV is plugged into the radio????   DSTAR still works but there is no DSTAR USB device shown (sometimes) ?? 

Cal/N3CAL
  • hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited January 2017
    I tried DSTAR with my Flex6300, DV-dongle  and a home made 70cm transverter on my local DSTAR repeater PI1HWB and had the same problem: long delayed audio transmission. Quick responses were transmitted at the start of the next PTT-action. Sounds very weird to the listeners....
    Hans - PA0HWB
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker as issue #4400 for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
  • David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I am having unbelievable issues with try to get D-Star to function on my 6700. FreeDV works just fine. Support has tried to be helpful with no success.  Very disappointing. This feature has been available for well over a year and should be virtually free of issues by now. My 6700 works perfectly in every respect except D-Star.  I notified support today I was returning the radio for repair along with the ThumbDV so they could correct these issues. I have also used NW's ThumbTest on my computer and it passes all test. I have also tried a friends ThumbDV - Still does not work. If anyone anywhere has a suggestion please email me at K4CAE@att.net.  I am planning to ship this radio on Monday over night delivery. I left a message with support today and asked when I might expect the radio to be returned. No response yet, but it has only been a few hours. (If this is a known software issue, please just tell me.) I will wait for the next update and see what happens.  Thanks for listening to my frustration.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    David,

I feel your pain and share your frustrations with getting D-Star to work reliably.   Over the past year I've tried using my 6500 on D-star several times but find it's way too buggy.  My hopes were the latest Beta release would address and resolve some of the prior issues but sadly IMO they make it worse.  73

Cal/N3CAL  
  • Kev Mallin
    Kev Mallin Member
    edited January 2017
    I've still got this issue with the latest 1.10.15 update, which I loaded today, it's still the same as 1.10.8 v. Anyone else tested it ? Kev G0TPZ
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Kev, 

I've tested the 1.10.15 Beta as well and can confirm the delayed TX Audio issue is still there.
    The Flex Change Log does not show bug #4400 as being fixed.

Cal/N3CAL  
  • hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited January 2017
    To be complete: it is not only the TX audio that has a long delay time but also the RX delay time is very long. Just compare a DSTAR reception on 2m or 70cm with f.i. an IC92 and a Flex with the DSTAR waveform. You will notice the delay time immediately. The last part of the reception data is cut off and will be heard at the beginning of the next RX session. The same procedure is true for TX. The delay i measured was 5 to 10 seconds in both TX and RX mode. 73, Hans PA0HWB.
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'm using 1.10.15.33 Beta and the current DSTAR wave form. During last nights DSTAR HF NET I talked DSTAR HF Voice simplex two way on 20m with Canada, Co, NM, ID. and on 40m MO, IL. On 80m GA and TN. I am in western South Carolina.

However, the RX delay/long echo is still there. ie #4400.

2011 was the year that the International DSTAR HF Testing Net started among HAMs that had the ICOM 9100 that had the ability to operate DSTAR voice on all HF bands. Over the following years, the ICOM 7100 came out with the same ability built-in. With a software update to the FLEX 6xxx series SDR radio and the ThumbDV, that ability was added to the Flex radios. Also MoenComm came out with a GMSK modem that could be added to any HF radio that had a 9600 baud packet port and addition of a DVDongle.

Many of us participated in the ARRL National Parks on the Air, NPOTA in 2016. That was a lot of fun for the activators and the chasers. This award is not as grand or as arduous to achieve in 2017.

Starting on Jan 1, 2017 you can receive a  “DSTAR HF SUPERTROOPER Dirty Dozen + Award

To receive this outstanding certificate, suitable for framing, you must, starting in 2017-

1. Make two way DSTAR HF VOICE simplex contacts with 12 other DSTAR HF voice station in 12 different 48 continental US states.
    2. Make at least one two way DSTAR HF VOICE simplex contact with a DSTAR HF VOICE station that is not in the continental 48 states of the USA.
    3. Make at least one two way DSTAR HF voice simplex contact on 5 different HF bands that the net normally meets on.
    4. Provide written proof (QSL CARD, Eqsl CARD), along with $3.00 US (check or cash) shipping costs for the certificate to Kent Hufford, KQ4KK, 807 Callaway Drive, Graniteville, SC 29829. Your cards will be returned with your certificate vis USPS.  

On many net days, when the bands are good, you almost can work the 12 states and a Canadian station on 5 different bands. When bands gets better, we should make the Pacific and Europe again.

Kent

KQ4KK

KQ4KK@ARRL.NET

International DSTAR HF Testing NetWINTER Schedule –  

Use your ICOM 7100/9100, or modified HF radio with GMSK & DVdongle, or the FLEX 6000 series radios with software 1.5 or better and the ThumbDV.

Here is some video of DSTAR HF Voice simplex on a 7100

https://youtu.be/f8_n-zWrdWU

We routinely have two way communications coast to coast and North to South, South to Canada, Europe and Australia. We have had two way contacts to Japan. And have been heard in South Africa and Bulgaria.

We are on each band only for 5 min. or so as to spend less time, if the band is dead we move on earlier. You can go back to a good freq after the net. MONITOR REF030C to coordinate. WE may need to move early or if the freq is busy. We do not want to step on any AM or SSB activity.

We also use a web page to keep track of who and where we are at -     http://hf.dstar-relay.net/

You also can check-in to this web site anytime 24/7 to find a DSTAR HF Ham to talk to.

We have a PRENET for 30 min. before the start of the scheduled time. This PRENET is for ‘FREE FORM” contacts. One should check the web site  http://hf.dstar-relay.net/  sign in and find a working freq to work on. When the net starts at the scheduled time, please join the net and follow the freqs.

DSTAR HF VOICE SCHEDULE

Sat PM 7:00 E (2400Z)

Sunday AM 10:00 E (1500Z Sunday)(Spend more time on each open band, and start on 80m)

Sunday PM 7:00 E (2400Z)

Check USB/LSB on freq to make sure the freq is clear.
    SUNDAY AM, we start with 80m and work towards 6 meters.

6 mtrs 50.210 DV for 2 mins

10 mtrs 28.570 DV for 5 mins

12 mtrs 24.938 DV for 5 mins

15 mtrs 21.380 DV for 5 mins

17 mtrs 18.148 DV for 5 mins

20 mtrs 14.335 DV for 5 mins

40 mtrs 7.285(or another open freq) DV for 5 mins

75 mtrs 3.880 DV for 5 mins.

NCS will check the freq ahead of time to make sure we don’t step on anyone 3KC up and DOWN.

"Digital voice is defined in the Commission’s rules based on content as voice (i.e. phone), not data, per Section 97.3(c)(5) of the Rules." Check out the most recent comments by the ARRL:  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7521063715

• Kev Mallin
    Kev Mallin Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks For confirming that Cal
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited January 2018
    Will the truncation problem at the start of transmissons ever be fixed?

• hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited January 2018
    Hello Lee,
    Since i put a reply 11 month ago in this DSTAR section nothing has changed. The data buffering causes long delays and un-understable conversations, cut in unlogical parts. I think that when you had te develop a system like DSTAR with the Flex/Dongle as it is now, you would have had a hard job to achieve the result we get from Flexradio at the moment. There is still hope for a proper solution, but like FREEDV, DSTAR is no priority @ Flexradio.
    73, Hans PA0HWB
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Hans,
    I was afraid of that, I guess too much interest in selling new stuff unfortunately.  Wasted money on the Dongle..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.