Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

really not easy to buy a Flex today

Marc Lalonde
Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭

my 6700 got hardware failure and even whit urgent ticket it still on tech bench after near 45 day ,and still no real news
since  my  remote station is really hard to reach  because of snow in winter ,i need to got a radio ASP

so i look into flex website for buy another radio ,only radio available right NOW  is anoter 6700
that out of question since i still not knot if my issue is specific to my old radio or to all 6700

then i check for Certified Pre-Owned radio , no stock all is on wait list ....

as for wait list i pre-order  a 6600 in less that 30 minute after it appear on flex website 
but once again i hit the celeb  "Flex brick wall filter on information"  ,so no clue of when it start deliver
to be honest ,no picture yet of any complete radio ,combine whit xmass holiday  and post slow down since overload
and remember delay of V2.0  , it really likely to not see it in 2017  ( radio still need to go on beta tester  hand first )
we have see picture of pallet of power XL  and still not sure it really available .

at the end the new Icom IC-7610 is now Available NOW , have XVRT port , work remote whit RB-SA1 whit no computer need and external 10mhz ref
all that i knot is on my side i need radio  on my hand for no later that 15 December  , if not if very likely that need to wait for April  that snow melt ..

and since right now is impossible to but a radio from flex that is real  in Stock what option is left ?

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You can't seriously be comparing RS-BA1 to SmartSDR with SmartLink. 

• James Whiteway
    edited November 2019
    I don't think the software is his point.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    HI Ria   

im a Flex lover so yes  SmartSDR via a VPN  or Smart link is totally unbeatable 
    i pass last 2 week to find something that may may replace a flex  whit no successes
    but i forced to look for alternative and must said that i use RS-BA1  V.1.94 
    since few week on a 7300 , and it work whit any problem 
    whit some trick even band scope work   and i notice it tale much less internet bandwidths

p.s.  i hear you on 6M  few day back ;-)

Marc  VE2PN 

• Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    @Marc

Thank you so much for your comments. I certainly understand your frustration and as you can imagine we are highly motivated to get back to a stock situation. We are about to birth multiple babies here at FlexRadio which means that we are quite busy! We will likely be sending out a status report early next week which will include production photos.

We understand that the wait has been disappointing but the new radios are going to be worth the wait. They really are amazing products.

If you are interested in a pre-owned radio, please contact sales@flexradio.com as we are constantly getting radios in on trade for resale. We can get you set up.

As always, you can contact FlexRadio for questions or concerns.
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Flex has 6300 pre-owned in stock and would make an excellent back-up radio when you receive yours back and get you on the air very quickly.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    HI  Matt

i wait a mail from you or Michael since 2 day 
    usually Greta have pass the information 

N0AZZ 

Availability:imageThis item is not yet available for shipment. When ordering this item you will be placed on a waiting list.

if it was stock i have already buy it instead of complain ;-) 

• Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I spoke with Michael and he is going to contact you again today.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Of course. It was more tongue in cheek than anything. I know the suspense is killing everyone.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The point that I take away from the note is not the second part (buying a replacement radio) but the first part (having a radio with an urgent trouble ticket sitting on a shelf for 45 days without any progress). If the repair process was proceeding correctly, the need to buy a replacement radio (hence opening up the question of whether to buy a different brand).

Having been in the same situation (and honestly asking the same questions), Flex needs to re-engineer their repair process of the 6000s urgently.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I would agree with this except that I've had on more than one occasion a radio sitting at Icom for 2 months awaiting repair. So Flex seems to be conforming to the industry standard. 
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I have had radios in Icom ICU and can explain offline the differences if you would like!
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Neal 

to the defense of Flex , the hardware issue i found is no typical failure 
    so need to check whit engineering , and right now if focus on new radio first 
    and radio have make in that time 2 trip for flex bench 

but what **** me off is the brick wall filter of information  ,i still not knot if issue is only on my radio 
    knowing for sure that it only my  radio  have that bog i will  probably pass order for a 6700 right now  

but i knot noting so i wait , if i but a new radio today  ,and flex start shipping 6600 tomorrow ???
    if i wait , but tomorrow  snow fall make impossible to reach my remote site  i lost my station  until late April ...   ( Weather call next week is snow fall almost every day  )

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Marc,

Have you been getting the newsletters? There have been updates on the progress of the 6600/6400/M models. If not, I can forward one for you or you can ask Sales to be put on the subscriber list. 

Ria

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    "You've got mail."

Suffice to say with 3 radios in for service I am not a happy camper. 
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi  Ria  yup i got it , but Gerald  is really Vague on delivery Date
    and only show a partially assembled unique radio ....

whit Qoute "We know you are eager to learn when you will receive your radio but please try to refrain from contacting us since there will be no additional information beyond that provided here"

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I think Gerald was correct at the time he said that, at that time there was likely no new news to offer. But as you know now, early next week there should be an update with pictures..
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Can you elaborate on your issue with the 6700? Is it something other 6700 should be on the look out?
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    see   https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/tx-wide-band-noise

for make is short  i find that my 6700 generate very wide band noise when operating  near or under freezing point  ( sevral  MHZ wide )  ,actually start to be erratic near 7 deg  ,under 4 deg it always send  garbage  and under -10 it not TX at all   

since it a operating condition that really not common  
    and since i not have another 6700 for test ,i cannot tell if is specific or not to my own radio

got some information that new 40mn  FPGA like virtex6  used on 6700 , may ave some timing issue 
    https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/Artix7-design-failing-at-low-temperature/td-p/597920 
    that voltage thing may remembering the 6700 PCN ???
    but who know whit only 1 radio on my hand cannot tell ,and cost to more to buy another one for test it ;-)     and 99.999%  of flex user not use the radio near the freezing point  ,so no issue here 

have liked to got confirmation that flex tested other radio for see ,but not got that information 

p.s. datasheet spec the radio to 0 deg  ,and as reference  i test a 7300 to -15
    Linear and all other electronic on the site run whit no issue 

• Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    FYI Just posted in QTH----- They are far and few between that's for sure!

FLEX 6500 W/GPS, MAESTRO, CONTROL, V2
    excellent condition FLEXRADIO 6500 with GPS upgrade, FLEX control, Maestro, mic, V2 software and handle kit.
    about $6500 new, around $5100 for cert refurbished.
    so i am asking $4600 shipped CONUS
    non smoking shack
    will take all the pics you want for serious parties.
    Will sell Maestro separate for $975 shipped CONUS
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Does it imply Bouvet pedition might potentially have the problem?  
    The weather there must be checked and reproduced locally and make sure it works, otherwise the great advertisement of Flex to DX'ers might ruin everything.
    I worry about Bouvet as well as Flex....

73 de JI1BNU
    Ken Yamada
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bouvet  have 6500   , think only one 6700 is for EME 
    i hope for the operator that it have bring heater ,operate whole day long in freezing condition is really not fun and less that optimal 
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    It is summer, there.  But, they do not have helpline nor immediate support.  So, they have to be well informed about the issue, phenomenon under freezing condition that storms may create, and how to fix it.    Prepare for the worst case to make it successful.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yup  flex have my radio on hand for make test on it. since few week 
    so i assume flex got time to make test on it 

if happen only need to warm radio over 10 deg Ceilsus  and it back in operation

and as said i not have any evidence that other radio have this issue ,it likely that flex have test other radio just in case ,   and any one whit a can of freeze  may test it 

but i hope the expedition will successfully and it begin of a long tradition 
    even if current situation make me  angry , i still find that flex do the best radio 
    when you able to buy it  ;-)
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Its getting difficult to believe any of the updates any more.  It seems the new radios are promised the next month and then nothing is delivered.  Wasnt November a 99 percent delivery month?  Now it appears we will see no radios until sometime in 2018.
    I love my Flex radios but how much longer do we have to wait until shipment of the 6400/6600 series begins? 
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited December 2017
    I have a 6700 for sale if anyone is interested.  It can ship in 24 hrs

roger
    na4rr
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I cannot defend the product or project management practices at Flex but, seriously, do you want them to ship it before they think its ready?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Gerald has been very transparent about the progress of the radios. He has explained in detail about the needed parts being slow to arrive. I believe them when they give the best possible update, depending on nothing going wrong in the mean time.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    What about running it with 15v, even 15.5v, will that make it warmer?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2017
    I was originally told July or August of 2017 when I put my deposit down. I said in another post it would not ship to the first quarter of 2018.
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    Probably closer to right. Although, we all hope otherwise.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.