Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remoting Ham Radio is Finally Easy

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Ali 9K2WA and I gave a presentation at the Palomar Amateur Radio club in San Diego..

First Thanks to Michael VA2MW, Ria N2RJ, Mack W4AX and Ali 9K2WA for letting me use your stations…. Nothing goes over so well as a live demo that actually works

There were likely 100+ people in attendance. 

Ali 9K2WA attended and we were able to do a remote 9K2WA to W4AX and to N2RJ QSO on 40M .. which impressed the heck out of the audience

There was a noticeable latency of about 1 second between Ali Speaking via Kuwait and hearing it in NJ or GA but heck we both were in California using a Kuwait Station to contact Georgia and New Jersey on 40M... 

Here is a link to the PDF of the presentation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2a3hyd4dou6l1do/operating%20remote%20is%20easy%20v1.0.pdf?dl=0

Here is a link to the Powerpoint of the presentation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho61z7zfuxjo3ca/Operating%20Remote%20is%20Easy%20V1.0.pptx?dl=0

FYI  - for you nostalgia buffs, here is a video of the first transcontinental remote using a Flex 5000 and iPads between Joe KC2TN and myself from Hara Arena back in 2011

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sintpx9bno23un/AACnst1hDet81lQhDd4hLsLXa?dl=0

Thanks again for the help from Mike, Ria, Mack and Ali in making my presentation a success…

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Great presentation Howard! Maybe next time we meet in Dayton/Xenia we can do iWatch - iWatch! It'll have to be 2019 though. Can't make it next year!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I plan to skip the Cowsheds for the foreseeable future But I will be in Friedrichshafen June 2018 Really cool to try. IWatchto iWatch Intercontinental
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Congrats Howard Well done!
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Nice presentation...tnx for sharing!  Off topic question...on slide 33, ur shack, can you tell me where u got the adjustable shelves on either side of the monitors......maybe homebrew??  Thanks
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Home brew from Home Depot 1/2” stainless steel threaded rods 1/2” stainless steel nuts and washers 12” shelving material cut to squares Created a template so all 4 holes drilled correct spot Grandkids spent hrs spinning nuts to level shelves.
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Howard....good idea!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Great stuff, Howard. Glad I was able to take part and help out. And please feel free to reach out anytime if you would like to use my station for a demo. 

I'll probably be at Xenia next year. Still undecided. I may do the FRS event and contest dinner and take the family somewhere else like the AF museum. 

I will be at Friedrichshafen though. Hopefully get to meet up with Emil and Marcus too. I did meet Marcus at Dayton but we didn't have a lot of time to talk. 
  • K6HN
    K6HN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Very Nice Presentation. Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, where is the setting to turn on the "filled panadapter" shown in the pictures? Did I miss the release of that option or is that just an optical illusion?

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Nice work Howard!

Don't give too many of these demos or everyone will buy a flex and a 2K-FA amp and a StepperIR beam and the bands will be seriously crowded again!!!
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2017
    Like it. Well done!
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Howard , you missed noting the first network capable radio of them all in your presentation, the Ten-Tec Omni07.

It had a WAN/LAN interface built into it as a standard feature and could be plugged into an Internet modem directly without any other device. It could then be Remoted from any where in the world over the internet using a Windows machine and their software or the more user friendly N4PY software package which I used.

Another unique feature of this radio was that it could be remoted without the need of a computer at the radio end of the system, one of the first radios to do this.

I bought one of the first Omni07's in 2007 and set it up in Niagara operating it from my home in Australia. It worked so well no one was aware I was located half way around the world.
    I was told they had a real time spectrum display module in their lab for the radio but it never made it to market.

For their day the Omni07's were pretty advanced in remote equipment.

Perhaps you could add this to your historical review of remoting.

Cheers
    Lloyd
    VE3ERQ

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I agree. TenTec was well ahead of the game. They were a magnificent company and now a mere shell of their former selves. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    How easy is too fall from grace. 
    Too bad they are not still going strong, innovating for the benefit of us all.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    A few of my friends still have their Orions, great concept, great start of things to come and seriously not knocking TT just thankful the ball was rolling in new innovative ideas and a new way of thinking like theirs but IMHO nowhere close to 6K concept of SSDR, IQ, DAX, Pan, etc. 
    The bar is set and only rises with Flex so one really big thing to remember is that these things clearly take time to perfect and unfortunately patience is not the strong suit of many here in the community.
    Keep beating the drum...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Nice Powerpoint, Howard!  I would love to see a video of the presentation.  I am imagining a few of your humor bits thrown in for good measure....

Ken - NM9P
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Great idea Ken.
    Howard I it's certainly enough to put together the pdf's and PP's.
    It's obvious in the PP you are very good at doing presentations.
    The content is excellent, your experience and knowledge base much appreciated.

BUT...  If you were to do your program in MP4 video I could see it being a very good program tool for clubs everywhere. I know my club would use it and I am sure many many others everywhere.
    I know, easier said than done.  Just food for thought.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    The presentation was live streamed. I can ask if they recorded it too.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Fingers crossed, that would be great!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    It will be posted shortly on the Palomar Amateur Radio Club Facebook site
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    outstanding.. the slides were good, cannot wait to see u in action on a vid
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thank you Howard you're a gent!!!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    It’s on Facebook. No idea how. Post it to another medium
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Russians? :)
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Howard I waited again until this morning to look again. Finding many videos but not yours just yet. Please take a look and try again or maybe drop box if FB possibly has file size issues, just guessing dunno. Please let us know when you think it's there. Thanks.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Howard I waited again until this morning to look again. Finding many videos but not yours just yet. Please take a look and try again or maybe drop box if FB possibly has file size issues, just guessing dunno. Please let us know when you think it's there. Thanks.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    It’s on a Facebook post from Palomar ARC PHOTOGRAPHER Donald Johnson. I will try to get a memory stick to him to get a copy.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Look for him on fb. Not posting a direct link in case he doesn't want to be famous. :)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I also reposted the video on Facebook under my name...

But trying to get a physical copy so I can post it to my dropbox

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Howard check your email. I sent you a link to my Dropbox for the video file. I was able to download and save it. You don't have to wait to get a copy now. 14.4mb file, 26 minutes, perfect for club meetings. Thank you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.