Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Distorted TX DAX audio

James Skala
James Skala Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Radio Flex 6300 / SmartSDR 2.0.17 / OS Windows 10.  I have a remotehams remote that I provide to other hams.  Every couple days I have been experiencing distortion in the TX DAX audio.  A simple close of all the programs and relaunch fixes the issue.  This has been occurring with 1.9 / 1.10 and now 2.0.  Was hoping that it would washout with the newer releases.  Audio into and out of remotehams is clean.  I have just closed and launched the DAX program and the problem goes away.  See below Link with Audio of a TX with no problem and a less then a minute later it starts.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByikFTG2iMyWcl9vMmFaMURTRGc?usp=sharing

Comments

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    James, This is a known issue that has been around for some time. All you have to do is stop & re-start DAX. I hope that Flex can get a handle on it soon. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited June 2020
    UGG! Tim when will this be fixed?
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I am having the exact same problem as well.

Ian
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    This issue is in our bug tracker as issue #2391.  I have no ETA data at this time.
  • Mike NA5U/K5D/K1N
    edited September 2017
    I was told this is memory leak. There was a stab at fixing it but looks like it didn't work. It was better after the attempt but 2.0 has it back as bad as before.
    Mike
    NA5U
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    We suspect buffer corruption, not a memory leak.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    makes more sense than a memory leak now that you mention it

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    James !

I am operate on Win10 virtual machine and at time of switching between Host and VM some time buffer corrupted  or in case network time out it can be happened. My suggestion is to change priority of the DAX task via command    START /REALTIME DAX.EXE   with admin privileges. of course you can create a BAT file and out into the Start Menu, BTW do not forget disable initial autostart  of dax.exe

• Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    This buffer corruption problem has been linked to long duration DPCs on the PC running DAX.  If this is your issue, you can try to take mitigating action to resolve the condition.

Here are some relevant HelpDesk articles on the subject.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118398-What-are-DPCs-and-why-do-they-matter-

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118698-Using-LatencyMon-to-collect-DPC-Latency-D...
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I could never get DAX stable under Win10 on my ASUS Z97-A motherboard, no matter what I did with Affinity,Privileges,Priority etc. Went back to Win7 Pro and DAX is stable on the receive side but the transmit buffer becomes corrupted if SSDR is run for long periods of time, IE. overnight.
    However DAX is stable on my Surface Pro 3 & 4. So it seems that Win10 has issues with certain hardware. Just my observation.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    Tim, thanks for that information.  I will run this and see what we get.  So no matter how powerful the PC or CPU usage this DPC ISR stuff could be happening in the background even thought CPU and RAM is in great shape? 

Is FlexRadio saying this is not a DAX issue but a consumer configuration / performance issue?

What about the external programs like remotehams that process audio and their audio chain has no problem while DAX is?

thanks for your hard work, really enjoying 2.0
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tim,

I just ran LatencyMon for about 12 minutes.  "Highest  measured interrupt to process latency" was initially 864 us and never went higher than that.  The "Highest reported DPC routine execution tims" was 442 us & came from ndis.sys.

My PC runs 24/7 & problem occurs about 24-72 hours after DAX is started, whether I am actively using DAX or not.  I have not been using it recently in order to monitor the problem, but I have created a script file that kills & re-starts both CAT & DAX when I start the SamrtSDR client.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    James, DPCs are not related to how powerful the CPU is or the speed and amount of RAM.  It is about the hardware interaction (primarily drivers and the BIOS) with the operating system.

What we are saying is that the current DAX driver appears to be susceptible to issues with PCs that experience long duration DPCs.  We are investigating using a different driver technology for DAX that should provide relief from this type of situation.  

Ray - I have seen instances where LatencyMon had to run for hours to "catch" an instance of a long duration DPC.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks cant wait to get home to hound dog this out.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Bill many DPC/Buffer interrupts issues are belong Power management/ACPI systems, and in some cases - ex.: LapTops can't be solved at all (Motherboard/BIOS things) in all other cases 3 ways of solving are here:
    - BOIS
    - different OS management: Power settings
    - drivers update, BTW with drivers not everything are clear, even native drivers for HW are not always optimal

also useful links:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/solving-dpc-latency-issues/
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-high-dpc-late...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/high-ndissys-dpc-windows-10...
    check your drivers - https://sdi-tool.org/

P.S. I have read many times issues related with ROG ASUS MB series 
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  5:29:42  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-IT7CH92
    OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 15063 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz
    Logical processors:                                   4
    Processor groups:                                     1
    RAM:                                                  16308 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed:                                   3696 MHz
    Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
    Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
    WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO DPC LATENCIES
    The interrupt to DPC latency reflects the measured interval in which a DPC could execute in response to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution.
    Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       527.514713
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.982746

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
    Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              43.547619
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation
    Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.003113
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation
    Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.006193
    ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   1796816
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
    Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              375.566017
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
    Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.143481
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
    Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.504743
    DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   124171242
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                28
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 none
    Total number of hard pagefaults                       0
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          0
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          0.0
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.0
    Number of processes hit:                              0

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       764.454298
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                43.547619
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   4.569197
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      1475071
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                375.566017
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   379.468369
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      117965197
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       29.986554
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                5.339827
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.331346
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      321744
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                220.524351
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   4.217557
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      1663268
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       44.540662
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                2.205087
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000002
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      1
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                182.601732
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   8.217507
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      2277722
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       37.633667
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                114.716991
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   7.506331
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      2265083

• Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    You only ran it for 5 minutes.  Normally you have to run it while using the radio and after you experience DAX corruption for the data to be valid.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    5:29:42 (h:mm:ss) 5 Hours
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    Whoops, missed that.  Was there an issue with DAX during that time period?
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    Yep, so I kept it up and continue to text into dummy load via remotehams. I will perform capture again in a couple days when it occurs again
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    RRR.  Thanks
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited June 2020
    Wouldn't a DPC issue be a short term issue? Maybe when the system is busy handling lots of interrupts there's some sort of issue. But then when things calm down again shouldn't DAX start working again?

For instance, I listen to Disturbed in VLC and I hear a pop. Dang. But that's it. It popped and went away and all is back to normal.

Then I transmit a single tone with DAX and I see this:

That's not a pop. It doesn't clear up by itself and it probably sounds strange on the air. In fact, maybe it sounds like something from Disturbed. This is what happens to me every 24+ hours or so.

I restart DAX and get this:

Is this covered by whatever #2391 is about? As 2391 has been around at least six months and I believe the problem has been around longer is it just something that can't be fixed?

I guess there's lots of people very happy with the remote feature in the new software version. But for me, it is the same old software with pretty much all the same old issues. Almost exactly the same old issues.

Kev K4VD

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited September 2017
    Had issue occur multiple times since last post see below output from latencymon on last occurrence 

CONCLUSION
    Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  2:12:08  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-IT7CH92
    OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 15063 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz
    Logical processors:                                   4
    Processor groups:                                     1
    RAM:                                                  16308 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed:                                   3696 MHz
    Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
    Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
    WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO DPC LATENCIES
    The interrupt to DPC latency reflects the measured interval in which a DPC could execute in response to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution.
    Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       543.306908
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       3.310021

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
    Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              34.524351
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation
    Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.011174
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation
    Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.014343
    ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   3402540
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
    Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              226.984848
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
    Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.231901
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
    Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.723889
    DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   53943768
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 none
    Total number of hard pagefaults                       0
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          0
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          0.0
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.0
    Number of processes hit:                              0

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       387.643007
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                34.524351
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   3.700013
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      2479622
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                226.984848
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   221.033955
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      51501895
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       16.723305
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6.873918
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.848960
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      922913
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                73.712121
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   1.526959
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      643739
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       18.518138
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3.058983
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000010
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      5
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                211.801948
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   3.711762
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      873541
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       17.157728
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                55.425866
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   3.307845
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      924593

• Mark - K9MQ
    Mark - K9MQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Is there a way in Windows 10 that DAX can be restarted every day at a certain time?
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    >Wouldn't a DPC issue be a short term issue Yes. Sustained, predictable, issues are not likely to be DPC related. Some other driver issue? Certainly. Triggered as a result of a few really long instances of ISR to DPC Latency? Maybe. But not a DPC problem as we classically discuss them here on the forum. Peter K1PGV
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Like others, I have also experienced this problem. But I still use windows 7, so the problem is not directly based on OS version. It usually happens to me when the system has been running for 4 + hours without being used. If I should use the system during that period I don't have the problem. When I do have the problem it is when I am using Dax along the digital apps that depend on Dax for audio input. So what is happening when the system is running for long periods of time not being actively used. Is the streaming audio overloading a buffer due to memory leaks. My own solution is to shut down the computer and radio when not in use. When l do this there is never a problem.
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I get the same problem using my 6700 as an APRS digipeater, stations can decode me fine for like a day until the audio starts getting distorted.  Closing DAX and reopening it fixes it.  Hope they can fix this soon.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the info.  I'll add it to the defect report.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.