Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What are you Predicting for Hamvention 2017?

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

No other predictions?

BTW I've added a possibility for the "M" in 6400M/6600M of being for "remote" as FRS used the "R" suffix for Receive Only.  Interesting that there is no 6700M

With that in mind it might be "M" for "Mini" for a reduced form factor offering.

Steve K9ZW

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

If the only clue were that there is no 6700 analog, then perhaps 6400 and
    6600 add 2 meters.
        A 200 watt version (I don't think so) might add an integrated power supply.

My 2018 (next year) prediction would include a Maestro SC (super conductor)
    QRP 5-10 watt version and a Power genius LE (light edition) for 500 to 1000
    watt model released under revised FCC rules lifting the 15 dB rule allowing
    the QRP Maestro to drive the PG/LE to a full 1000 watt output.  Cool for suitcase
    dxpedtions.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ooh.  That raises an interesting idea.....Which I hadn't posted in my response to  another thread called "This is interesting."

If the 15 dB restrictive rule is removed, then a 5-10 watt version of the 6300 and 6500 type rigs could be released which would have all the receive processing power of the full power version of the rigs, but still interface with the new Power Genius amp for full legal limit.  This would make 100 final amplifiers, and their required cooling and filtering, unnecessary, opening the door to a small form factor rig.

I'll re-post my predictions here, because it is really more appropriate to this thread:
    Sorry if it is too much redundancy...

===========

Just to add to the noise and enthusiasm:  
    My thinking is that these may be new rigs to "fill the gaps" between units already in production.  There is currently a "gap" of approximately $3000 between a 6500 and 6700 at current pre-Dayton sale prices.  So there is a "hole" at a price point of about $5500-$5800.

My pure guess is that the 6600 might be either... 

1) an expanded, 4-pan/slice version of the 6500 with 1 SCU and 2 meter capability.

or

2) an expanded, 4-pan/slice version of the 6500 with 2 SCU's and NO 2 Meter capability.

or

3) a reduced, 4-pan/slice version of the 6700 with 2 SCU's AND 2 Meter capability.

The 'M' may simply refer to a rig running a Maestro.  It might indeed also refer to a ruggedized "Mobile Capable" version.  What might that mean?   Perhaps a built-in Wifi Port capable of direct connection to a laptop, Maestro, or iPad client.  It might also have upgraded heatsink and cooling options.  Perhaps a built-in bluetooth mic/headphone connection as well (though this could easily be handled with the client machine).

The 6400 may be given similar treatment to "fill the gaps" between the 6300 and 6500.  However, there isn't much "gap" in the price range. (Current sale price:  $2600 for a 6300 w/ATU and $4000 for a 6500...a $1400 difference at current pre-Dayton sale prices.)  

So it is possible that the 6400 might either be a reduced function 6500/expanded function 6300, 

or  it could be a low power version of a 6300, replacing the now expired 1500...

I doubt that they would be total replacements of either the 6300 or 6500.
    It seems to me that these platforms have taken too much R&D to be replacing already.  

But I could be completely wrong on all counts.  
    Other than one line of text in a brochure, nobody I know inside or outside the company has even HINTED at anything related to these two "new models."  So this is total conjecture and fantasy on my part.  

We will all know in a few days!

Ken - NM9P

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

A BIG omission in my predictions - I am guessing FRS will have some product bundles with financial incentives for Hamvention.

What combination it will be is anyone's guess, but they typically do have a show promotion.

Steve K9ZW

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Given the 12 or so months, or less, Flex engineers have had to work on new hardware/software, I'm guessing the 6400 and 6600 are low power versions of the 6500 and 6700 with 2 and 4 slices respectively.  This prediction based on the anticipation of the FCC eliminating the 15dB regulation of course.  This would give Flex the opportunity to reduce the price significantly and fill the price gaps Ken talked about.  This also would reuse the already proven 6500/6700 SCU's and be a doable project given the time available, and so on and so forth....  Have no idea what the "M" is.

Well, that's my guess, "6 two and even, over and out" 
    (does anyone remember where that's from?)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That would be cool. Literally and figuratively. :)

I am really hoping for something Andrea, K2EZ and I can throw in the rover and operate VHF contests with. Band scopes are killer.

(I have no advance knowledge of these radios, not that I could share anyway). 

Ria
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

I've added some non-Flex Predictions:

Other Predictions for Hamvention 2017 -  https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/other-hamvention-2017-predictions/ or http://wp.me/p2XN8-1u1

Steve K9ZW

• Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    My prediction for Hamvention 2017: The floors hopefully will not have poop floating around on them, albeit it may smell like my barn!
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Would like a QRP radio with knobs all in one box with a touch screen with Waterfall
    ( Maybe a small QRP rig smaller than the Maestro with SDR rig built in ! )
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The Flex predictions I can't comment on, but I'll talk about others I've heard.

Pretty much confirmed:
    • SPE 1.5K-FA to replace the 1.3K-FA. Similar pricing.
    • Elecraft KPA1500 legal limit solid state amp
    • Icom IC7610 transceiver. This will be a dual "SCU" unit with only two "slices." Using quotes because those are flex radio terms and Icom won't use them.
    • Force 12 revived by JK Antennas 
    • RadioWavz out with some new hexbeam antennae with premium hardware for easy up/down. Emmett did demo it at another conference.
    • SteppIR Urbanbeam, compact antenna for small lots
    • Anan 8000DLE
    • SunSDR MB-1
    Educated guesses/hints dropped:
    • Talk of a 2K-FA LDMOS replacement. Likely the 3K-FA using two 1.5K-FA decks. Legal limit+++ RTTY heavy duty contest amp. Priced around $7-8k. Includes remote control features and adaptive predistortion. In fact, I know someone who modded his to add a loop to feed his Anan.
    • Mike Dishop talking about a new solid state Dishtronix Prometheus II or whatever it's named. 2x LDMOS, possibly using the new 1.8kw devices. 4040 tuner to be talked about again. 
    • Yaesu pushing more fusion stuff. Not much new in the HF department, sadly.
    • More Kenwood D-STAR, not much new on HF either. 
    Speculation/WAG:
    • MFJ/Ameritron to get into the LDMOS amp game. Cheap solid state rugged kilowatt and legal limit amps for the masses.
    • Anan amp to match 8000DLE. 
    • Elecraft to have a full turn key remote solution that doesn't need external boxes.
    • Icom to have a full turn key remote solution, however they will sadly hobble it with their awful remote control software.
    • Replacement for the Icom PW1 to be talked about. Possibly 1x or 2x LDMOS.
    • Replacement for the Yaesu Quadra also using LDMOS technology
    General stuff:
    • Loads of new attendees
    • Total chaos re parking and logistics
    • People will complain about stuff
    • No more septic eruption
    See you in a few days!
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    SteppIR displayed their awesome "Urbanbeam" at the Puyallup Hamfair in March. It is a really nice antenna, especially if you are somewhat real estate challenged, albeit no way will it escape the HOA boys' notice, that's for sure. Sure hope Icom replaces their now long in the tooth PW-1. Gotta luv how well it plugs-and-plays with any Icom transceiver.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

"People will complain about stuff". Ria, that is a given even if the entire weekend runs perfectly!

Tim VE6SH

• John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you Ria! Nice list. Hadn't heard the Elecraft turnkey remote rumor.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That's speculation based on RHR eliminating the need for the remote box and the KPA1500 having an Ethernet port.
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    WoW great info! Thank you
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Think RHR will ever support Flex?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I can't say for sure. They'll have to develop something. Right now they seem to be happy with the Elecraft suite of products.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am further updating my predictions to include a "Maestro II" to go with the 6400M and 6600M.

https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/other-hamvention-2017-predictions/  (and in the comments)

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have no insight at all into what might be upcoming at Dayton but one thing seems notable: there certainly seems to be much more activity and anticipation this year than in previous years.  We'll soon see how that plays out.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Any "NEWS" about the TunerGenius XL ?  availability, cost , prelim design parameters etc.   and/or estimated ship dates of the PowerGenius XL?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Pre-orders should ship late summer. New orders a couple months after. Tuner will be included with 2017 delivered amps. Can be remoted from the amp with an add-on. More after I speak with Ranko 4o3a
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Very nice! Can't wait to play with it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Not bad! I cheated by losing a spectrum of possibilities, figuring at least ONE would be right. But what was actually released was very exciting. I have already put down a deposit pending trade-up offer for a 6500 > 6600 move. I really want the two SCU's and SO2R capability. BTW, I think I missed you at the banquet, unless you were one of many quick handshakes that I didn't get to talk to for long.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    So much for my prediction that the 6300and 6600 would NOT be replaced! But I am truly impressed with what has been released. The 6400 for $1999 is another game changer. A better rig than the 6300 for LESS money! Move to the "M" version with built-in controls and a great display, and it will compete with any other rig in its class. Then the 6600...Wow! I sort-of guessed that in prediction option #2, but missed the addition of contest competition bandpass filters and off-the-shelf SO2R capability. All of this for $3999! Again...Wow! Move up to the "M" model for $4999 and there is probably nothing that will tough it in that price class and many much higher. Deposit paid...awaiting trade in offer! 6600 here I come! A lot of guys will be trading in their 6700's for this baby! The "free antenna tuner during 2017" deal is awesome for the PowerGenous XL. I wish I could afford one! It looks like it is going to be the must-have amp for the big-gun contest and DX stations -- Flex rig or not. Ken - NM9P
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.