Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Antenna Switch

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
I have an Ameritron RCS-8V Remote Coax Switch. Now that the Flex can output from the USB ports, I would like to use some sort of USB relay board from eBay or Amazon to replace the rotorary switch in the remote control box. I want to be able choose an antenna while remote using the Maestro or PC. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can handle any electronics but very limited on programming. 73 Bill VA3QB

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Bill,

The Sainsmart relay board works well and is genuine FTDI so it is supported by the USB cable feature of SmartSDR. 

https://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-4-channel-12-v-usb-relay-board-module-controller-for-automation-...

Since the RCS-8V doesn't have a BCD input this is your best option. You can program it as a BIT cable and each relay will be closed for a particular band. You can use this in place of the rotary switch control box. Connect the common to +12v (relay board must have 12v as well) and each of the relay control wires to the N.O. contacts. Then set it up in SmartSDR as a BIT cable and assign the bands you want to switch on for each control wire. Dead simple. 
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Get the Sainsmart board. I paid $27 for the USB 8ch board. It works flawlessly. Replace your rotary switch with this and you'll be happy about it.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This boards also exist with LAN connection (~50-60$), then you can switch remote via Internet and no need any PC at remote site. 

• Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I recommend boards from Denkovi.com over Sain. Faster shipping and better customer support.

I'm using them with DDUTIL and with Denkovi's control software. I didn't realize they could work with the new cables. I have a hamshack pc running Teamviewer and SmartSDR connecting via a VPN (Thank's to Ria's Raspberry Pi Script).

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The Ethernet boards are certainly nice but won't auto band switch like the USB ones will.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ria your right, but if you not use your station remote for contest, and if you have more then one antenna for a band it will be a good solution. It's a click more. Using here 2x 16 relay boards and a Arduino to switch my MicroHam Double ten antenna switch.
  • Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member
    edited April 2017
    Bill,

I use the Denkovi boards.  Around $23 US.  Link is http://denkovi.com/usb-eight-channel-relay-board-for-automation

73...   Bill K3WA
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Would this also work for the MFJ-4726? I don't have any data on this just the ops manual.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I suppose you can make anything work. It may take a bit of reverse engineering but MFJ switches are typically not complicated and the more complicated ones have BCD inputs for transceiver control. So if all this switch does is ground or power individual lines to activate the relays then yes, you can use either the Denkovi or Sainsmart relay boards as BIT cables. 

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Keep in mind that when I'm remote there is no computer in the shack running. So what ever setup I use it must run directly off the Flex itself.  I have 4 antenna's. A Windom, triband beam, 6 meter beam, and a 40-80M inverted V antenna. So there is more than one antenna per band.

Bill
    VA3QB
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    You can still use the built in USB cable feature but if you want to use a particular antenna on a band it's not so straightforward. You'll have to reconfigure the BIT cable each time you want to do so.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Following the advice in this thread I ordered a Denkovi 8 position switch which arrived yesterday.  A question for Ria, Bill, or whomever:  What typed of USB cable do I use to connect the Denkovi to the USB ports on the back of my 6700.  Since the Denkovi is an FTDI device does the cable connecting it to the 6700 need to be an FTDI cable or just regular USB?  Please pardon my PC ignorance.

Thanks -  Keith - AC9S

• Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member
    edited June 2017
    Keith,

I used the FTDI USB-Serial cable offered on the Flex Web Site.  Not the cheapest - but tested and known to work.  
    I will email you the Flex tutorial.

73...   Bill

• AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Hi Bill,

I must be missing something.  My Denkovi board has a USB connection.  I only see two cables on the Flex site.  One terminates in 8 pigtails and the other in a DB9.  I don't see how either could connect to the Denkovi.

Thanks - Keith - AC9S

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The denkovi boards just need a regular A to B USB cable. The FTDI chip is on the board.

Ria
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Thanks Ria.

Keith - AC9S

• Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member
    edited June 2017
    Keith,

I forgot my self.  I use regular USB to USB cables from the Flex to a USB Hub.

Regular USB to USB to the Denkovis.  Have four of them that switch filters and antenna relays.  I use three of the Flex cables USB to DN-9 to drive my two SteppIRs and 75 meter antenna tuner.

73...   Bill
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Thanks Bill.   I think I'll also hook my Steppir up directly to the 6700 with a USB DB9.  I'll pick up USB A to B in the morning and check out the Denkovi.

73 - Keith

• Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member
    edited June 2017
    Only trick to Denkovi is that you need to wire the common side of the relays also
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just a newbie jumping in with a potentially dumb question:  What do these relay boards actually switch? Are your coaxes running through the relay itself, or do your coax switches have OTHER relays that these USB relays are flipping? Looking for a very simple 4 port remote switch to mount in my antenna entry box just outside the shack. Thanks...Paul WB2JVB
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill,

I suggest that instead of replacing the rotary control, you consider supplimenting it with whatever relay board you choose & maintain manual control capability. From time to time manual control is desirable for convenience when in the shack or when some electronic thing stops working. I have a reset button on my relay board. If I need to, this button releases all the relays & the rotary control can then make a selection.

Buy a relay board with double throw relays. Wire the rotary switch's common lead through the common & N.C. contacts of each relay in series so that when no relay is selected the rotary switch is active to select an antenna in the normal maner. When any relay is activated the rotary switch will be disabled & the relay will activate the chosen antenna. Each N.O. relay contact wires in parallel with the corresponding "select" lead from the rotary switch.

By the way, this arrangement helps insure that only one antenna can be actived at a time. Some selection systems rely on the rotary switch's non-shorting contact nature which isn't usually a feature of the relay boards, except for possible software safeguards.

• Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Never mind, I think I figured out what you folks are up to!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    It's quite versatile.
    It can be used to switch antennas, filters, amplifiers, even colored blinky lights in your shack if you so desire. 

You assign a band or frequency range to each relay and it switches whenever you QSY to that band or range.

Ria

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    But they do not use official FTDI so often get conflicts with other devices that have official and signed drivers.

• Alan Cerniglia
    edited May 2020
    I bought the BCD ftdi USB & built an interface but I would like to use the Denkovi 8 ch PCB... When I direct connect to my Flex as USB & chose BCD data will it Directly drive the relays as BCD or do I have to have interface driver software ?   Thanks for any help....  Alan  KB5CUS
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    With the denkovi, I believe they are configured as Bit cables. You have to do so from the "USB cables" menu within SmartSDR.

See the section about "bit" cables in the guide:

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited June 2017
    The Denkovi 8 relay USB board works great, it will show up as "BIT Cable 8RLY xxxxxxx", you can then configure the relay switching in the Flex settings menu. The new Denkovi USB boards are also opto isolated and don't clatter on and off at boot time unlike the Sainsmart.
  • Alan Cerniglia
    edited June 2017
    In the Flex USB guide.. The chart  shows Band data for 160 thru 432 using BCD  4 Bits.  For the BIT data ( 8 bits ) , does that mean that the first 4 bits equal the same band data. There isn't a chart showing band tied to the bit data...  So,,,  I'm thinking that something like DDutil may have to be used ...  I never looked at the drop down menu & chose BIT, & don't know if it will even let me select & look at options as to assigning Bits...  (lsb msb)
    Thanks....   Ria...
  • Alan Cerniglia
    edited June 2017
    Thanks...  Rob...  Guess I'll place the order for the board......
  • IZ2ODM
    IZ2ODM Member
    edited May 2020
    Hello , I just connected my dencovi with Usb cable to Flex . It recognize without any problem . But :
    1) antenna A is tri-bander (20-15-10 mt)
    2) antenna B is vertical 3band (160-80-40 mt).

It means that I have 6 band for just two rele' output.

It should means that for pin 1 (for exemple) I Would set aFrequency range instead of Band ,right? Same must be done for pin 2 (for antenna B) . This is mandatory because more frequency in just ONE antenna, right? OK  but frequency range seems does not work...some suggestion? Maybe syntax is wrong for the frequency range or other?

The last chance could be ,  set  frequency (for exemple 20 and 10mt ) rispectly with pin 3 and 4 and put the corrispective rele' contact in parallel with rele cupled with 15mt (left for pin 1). Pleaase some suggestion ...thanks . 73 Roberto IZ2ODM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.