Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ALE operations incorrectly switch to LSB on 40M ?

Andrew O'Brien
Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I use ALE software that causes the radio to scan several frequencies on various bands.  Within the software there are frequency settings that include the mode (USB, LSB, USB-D, etc) that should be selected for each frequency . Using a Flex 3000 and PowerSDR this works fine.  However when using a Flex 6300 , SmartSDR, and the same ALE software, when the scan lands on 7102 the mode switches to LSB.  The  ini file specifically instructs the radio to be in USB.  I posted about this in a ALE forum and the suggestion is that a Flex 6300 has a "band plan" that forces a switch to LSB for 7102.  Anyone know if this is true and how to change ?  I'm baffled as to wny this would be a deliberate Flex band plan while 80M and 60M ALE frequencies correctly land on USB when scanning.  

Answers

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    80M & 40M are LSB unless you are doing something special. At least that is what The ARRL band plan is.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Not with ALE. Also digital modes like JT65 use USB.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    But FreeDV uses LSB on the low bands like analogue SSB voice.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    Try using DIGU  instead of USB
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    What software are you using for ALE and the Flex 6000? Watts
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited September 2016
    I did, it makes no difference. 

• Andrew O'Brien
    edited September 2016
    Bob, not at all. 0n 40M meters all digital modes except RTTY use USB. This has been the case since 1999. 

• Andrew O'Brien
    edited September 2016
    Watts,   I use MARS ALE and PC-ALE , sometimes ALE within Multipsk.    FYI, SmartSDR works fine with ALE other than the LSB issue on 40M.  I have also used ALE with a 6500 in the past and had four slices involved with the ALE data channels. 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I suspect band persistence is setting the mode
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited September 2016
    but why would this happen on 40M only ?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    band level persistence.  Changing the slice to 40m "remembers" it was in USB mode and sets it
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm having the same issue, how can it be resolved?

73 Chris AK4SK
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Clear band persistence.  Do a full export of your profiles.  The do a factory reset of the radio.  Start up SmartSDR but test for the proper behavior before importing your profile data.  If it works properly, then import your profiles, making certain you unselect the preferences options so you do not re-write the incorrect band persistence data back to the radio.
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Tim. Is this the same procedure if I'm using the Maestro?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes.  Persistence data is stored in the radio.
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,
    I gave this a try this morning and the issue still occurs before I import my profiles back to the radio. I did it multiple times but it didn't make a difference. Is there anything else I can try?

Chris
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Not sure.  You may need to look at the CAT log and see if the radio is being sent a command to change modes.  What we find most often than not is the radio is doing exactly what it is told to do.  You just have to figure out what is commanding it.
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Tim. The software uses a file where the frequency, band information, etc. is stored. I have verified that the file states USB for these frequencies. The two frequencies near 40m are the only two I'm having this issue with. I was previously using this with an Icom IC-7600 and a Yaesu radio with no issues. I'm going to try to contact the original poster to see if he resolved it.

73 Chris
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Andrew, if you have resolved this issue, would you please get in touch with me and let me know how. I tried lookin ytou up on QRZ but you don't have an email address there. I can be reached at ak4sk at arrl.net.

Thanks,
    Chris 
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm going to try a different radio profile in the software. Support for Flex 6XXX hasn't been implemented yet so there are a few choices that will work with the Flex 6XXX series. Maybe another one will work better.
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,
    Where do I find the CAT log?

73 Chris AK4SK
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    imageThe bottom where it Says "Log..."
    Select the port that you want to log first
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Great, thank you Ria!

Tim,
    What I see is the mode being set at first (correctly as USB) and then individual commands for all the freqeuncies as the software scans. Nowhere does SmartSDR CAT send another mode command while scanning.

Chris
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited June 2020
    I still have not resolved this, gave up but ran in to the issue again today.  I need to find a fix for some ARDOP experiments on 40M where I am using ALE as a "front end" .  I guess it is not resolved in new SSDR release. 
    Andy K3UK 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2017
    Is the frequency actually in the 40m ham bands?  The default mode when a slice is created on 40m and below (except for 60m) is LSB.  It sounds like the CAT logic driving the radio needs to do a mode set (ZZMD or MD) after a band change.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited April 2017
    Yes, it is in the ham bands.  There is something odd about 40M and SmartSDR since other bands (except 60M) below 20M do not have this problem.  Example:  I set up ALE to scan 30,40,and 80M last night.  The ALE software controls the Flex and ALE software setting  specifies whether you want USB or LSB for each frequency you scan. On 80 and 30 it correctly lands on USB but no matter what, the 40M frequency lands on LSB.  The same ALE software behaves correctly with PowerSDR , so it is not the software (as confirmed by the ALE software author.I will try scanning bands with Commander and see what happens.

Andy K3UK
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited April 2017
    With Commander, when switching from a 20M  USB channel to a 40M USB channel, the SmartSDR graphics momentarily say LSB but quickly changes to USB and stays on USB. On other bands the momentary switch to LSB before correction to USB is not noticed.
    Andy K3UK

• Andrew O'Brien
    edited April 2017
    but I solved things..

WAY earlier in this thread Dan KC4GO suggested changing ALE software settings to DIGU.  A couple of us said this made no difference .  Today it does IF you change the RECEIVE channel settings in the ALE software (ALE software requires we specify both the TX and RX frequencies for mode , separately) . SmartSDR momentarily wiggles in LSB but quickly switches to DIG-U .  So there is softing there that cause hesitancy that does not exist on other bands but the fraction of a second switch to the correct mode will have no impact on ALE operations with SmartSDR .   
    For any ALE operators out there.  Use CHANNEL, MODIFY, then select the channel you wish to modify , then in both TX and RX set the MODE to USB-D 
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I got it to work using MARS-ALE but I had to write MMI Radio files that set the mode as DIGU for every frequency change. Changing settings in MARS-ALE never made a difference for me. 

What I found is that things would gradually get worse. After I reset the radio to clear persistence memories when I would use MARS-ALE I would have this issue on maybe one channel. After a week or two I'd have the issue on 2-3 or channels.

73 Chris AK4SK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.