Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Optimal cable/connectors for 6700 receive antennas

Ria
Ria Member ✭✭✭
I currently use some F connectors and a bunch of adapters I had in the junque box for my receive antennas. Works well, but I am wondering if it could work better. I tried BNC to F (for CCTV cameras) but those adapters are 75 ohms and it appears as though the Flex uses a 50 ohm BNC.

What is best for feeding receive antennas to your 6500 or 6700? What do you use?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I've taken to using LMR240 jumpers with BNC connectors for all receive-only paths in my shack. On transmit, UHF or N connectors and RG213 or LMR400 as frequency dictates. Keeps me from getting my wires getting too crossed.

Not a fan of the F connector, but in a pinch I guess they're better than clip leads :-)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    For receive antennas they are standard, I thought. I have Beverages and they are all fed with RG6. Cheap and it works. 
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Ria –

I terminated all of my LMR240 and LMR400 cables, both Tx and Rx, with PL259s.  I use PL259/BNC adapters on the Flex Rx ports.  On the other end the PL259s connect directly to the SO239s on my Beverages, and to my DXE NCC-2 with PL259/BNC adapters.  On my active antennas I use PL259/F adapters.   For this application I doubt that 50/75 ohm adapter impedance mismatches or losses would make a noticeable difference.  I don’t use adapters on the Tx side however.

When I move my actives to their permanent place (about 600' from the house), I'll switch to flooded and much cheaper RG6.

Howard

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Ria,   I use these HI-Z 75 ohm to 50 Ohm for my 8 circle RX arrays and Beverages ...  I use one on each RX port of my 6700 along with a KD9SV Front End Saver (also from DXEngineering).
    https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hiz-transformer
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Not sure there's a "standard" beyond what works for you. I'm sure they are totally fine as long as they're installed well. Nice to avoid adapters if you can, but at MF, hardly a problem.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I meant standard as in nearly all commercial receive antenna products use them. I don't mind using something else, but my system is built around the standard that these manufacturers have. The F connector is not too bad. With a compression fitting it is pretty decent. 
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2017
    Certainly less lossy than PL259, Ria. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Correct! Although it matters little for receive antennas. 
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    N here all the way, for quick deconnect/fieldday/EMCOMM I have a lot of C connectors 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_connector
    which you can't beat for stability. They are also watertight and take a lot of abuse (a car
    braking on them isn't going to destroy them, although the cable might be torn).
    I always take care to use selfamalgamating tape
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape
    which is also good aboard ship...
    Alex - DH2ID
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No love for the N Connector? C'mon... that's MY favorite! Peter K1PGV
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    See above, Peter, at least ONE N connector lover here ;-)
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Another N-type afficionado here.  Noting also their use on the Hilberling PT-8000.

Alex/KM5YT
  • Rick - WC8D
    Rick - WC8D Member
    edited April 2017
    A look back in history as to how 50 ohm coax came to be the standard may be informative. It turned out that 75 ohm coax worked the best on receive and 25 ohm coax the best on transmit. Take the average and you have 50 ohms! So for receive only applications, I would go with 75 ohm coax (RG-6 looks like the lowest loss and least expensive) and a BNC connector that fits the one on the radio.
    No religion on connectors here....I use UHF/N/BNC/SMA depending on the application.

Rick/WC8D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.