Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running JTDX and WSJT-X simmulataneously?

Answers

• Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    And in all seriousness, I have no problem making JTDX and WSJT-X play together with my Flex 6700. Lots of other programs (CW Skimmer, PstRotatorAZ, HRD, amp software from Alpha and Expert, fldigi, and more) are running on a generic PC with no problem or hiccups. Take out the JT software and add N1MM+, and it works great for SO2R in contests. Not that hard to do, but the cables are a nightmare!

0.image

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This still doesn't make any sense to me. The highest frequency I'm seeing with WSJT is just a little over 1100 Hz, whereas you have decodes all up and down the band with JTDX. And both slices have the same filter bandwidth?
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    thanks howard.  I'll have to try it on 160m.

73 w5xz, dan

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Agreed

I am looking into the 1100Hz anomaly on the second computer as both slices have the same bandwidth

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Howard your signal level is a little high, 30 db is considered optimum.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    On the WSJT-X ver did you expand the waterfall out to 4KC?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I actually use 5MHz default
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I started using jtdx last night and the differance is very noticable, decodes at -30 are becoming routine on both transmit and receive. Signals I can't see in the waterfall are being decoded.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Is anyone using the AGCc function in JTDX?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Haven't tried it yet but here are some clips from the release notes document on the JTDX website: Recommended settings for v17.4: http://www.qrz.lt/ly3bg/JTDX/info/release.html See 17.4 region of the document. - JT65+JT9 combined mode - AGCc button: use it only if AGC being triggered in receiver by JT signals at beginning of the RX interval. Noise level change in the waterfall might be used as criterion showing that AGC is triggered in the receiver. - Hint button: use it to decode signals on the QSO frequency and for wideband hinted decoding of the CQ messages I use FAST with the slider all the way to the right. AGC OFF has not worked for me as signals vary so much. Recently my stats on PSKreporter 14.5K reports in 24 hours and 104 countries so something is working! Saw a test where the AGC button did help with files that had over 300 stations in a minute; however, when there are that many calls to look through a few extra + or - are irrelevant!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    I use FAST with the slider all the way to the right. 

Then the AGC is not working properly for you as you are feeding the AGC too much gain.  AGC-T needs to be set for band conditions.

The AGC system in SmartSDR is a dual track system, meaning that it can track both slow and fast increases in signal strength, making appropriate gain correction decisions in the presence of each.

The AGC-T sets the maximum gain applied under any circumstances.  Since the noise floor is relatively constant on a given band at a given time, the AGC can be adjusted using the threshold control so that the AGC never applies gain to noise, but it will apply gain to signals just out of the noise.  In doing so, the AGC can reduce the level of noise you hear and help signals pop out of the noise.

To adjust the AGC Threshold, tune to a quiet spot between stations. Starting with the AGC-T at a high value adjust the AGC-T slider to the left (lower gain values) until the background noise just begins to decrease.  This is the AGC-T "sweet spot" or the "knee" of the AGC algorithm.  Depending on band conditions, if the AGC-T is set below 50, you may have to compensate for the loss in audio gain (volume) by increasing the Slice or master AF volume to a higher value.  When you get the knee and AF volume adjustment correct for the band conditions, it will keep the volume of strong signals constant which will allow weaker signals to be heard even with AGC in FAST mode.  Thus AGC-T is one of the most important adjustments, and often overlooked, to achieve the maximum weak signal receive performance out of the FLEX- 6000 series SDRs.

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    i will try those settings, thanks;
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Official Response from Igor. UA3DJY. The author of JTDX Hello Howard, It is most likely this issue is connected to the same executable file name wsjtx.exe being used by both software and it is memory sharing issue. Unfortunately now I can not change it to jtdx.exe now as this approach will restrict JTAlert usage for HRD software users. In some scenario I did run both WSJT-X and JTDX on the same computer under Windows 10, I did use --rig-name key for one of them and software starting order makes sense there also. 73 Igor UA3DJY
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Howard, did you consider that the problem was plain old propagation or lack there of...... Depending on frequency, a 1.5Kw power would be just some much ground wave.  That would be tricky for other nearby listening to your ground wave signal.  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

@Pat

Actually with my beam I run an ERP in EXCESS of 10KW  (1.5KW x 10dBi gain)  @85' @600' ASL on the west side of a mountain 1KM from the Pacific Ocean. 

Unfortunately Not a Heck of a Lot of Ground Wave to the East because the mountain gets in the way.   Hawaii which is the closest place to me on the West is too far for Ground Wave.

if anything I actually wish I had a much stronger ground wave to the East because my signals tend to skip over most of the nearby states.  

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

NOW for a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ISSUE

On one computer, WSJT-X receives to about 1200Hz

On the second computer, WSJT-X receives full bandwidth

Both running W7/64 -

WSJT Configurations are EXACTLY the same.

Results do not differ for the following variations

1. on any different DAX Channel

2.  I can run an instance of WSJT simultaneously on both computers or NOT

3.  I can share the same DAX Channel or Not

4.  I can run SSDR on either computer

DAX Version is the most current Alpha version on both computers.

The first computer is an i7 and the second computer is an i5

Both have lots of memory.

Any guesses as to why I only receive 1200Hz on that one computer????

• Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm guessing you have the same RX mode and bandwidth on SSDR on both

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    On the waterfall check for the JT9 fence; should be 2400 or 2500 Hz.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just be aware that a couple of months ago, WSJTX author  Joe Taylor  urged some caution about the reliability of JTDX in terms of the deep search decodes.  
    Andy K3UK
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I know you said that both configurations are exactly the same, but I'll ask this anyway: Is it possible that in WSJT under File->Settings->Advanced you have a different setting for Receiver Bandwidth on one of your computers?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    First thing I looked at. Both the same
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Weirder and Weirder

I got it working

Everything had been set the same as EXCEPT I had bins/pixel =2 and I usually keep it at bins/pixel =4 on the other machine that worked OK 

But I finally got around to looking at the waterfall screen.. changed it to bins/pixel=4 because it was only showing the lower frequencies

AND WSJT started to receive above 1200 Hz

Only thing I can guess is that it does not somehow receive outside of the ACTUAL waterfall window???

Interesting discovery

DAX and SmartCAT can be addressed from multiple computers on the same network at the same time... and in fact it would seem that while SmartCAT needs separate IP Ports from different computers to operate CAT on the Radio, DAX can share the same DAX RX number on at least two different machines at the same time..

Who knew??

ANYWAYS... opens up huge possibilities for experimentation especially for comparing digital modes....

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

RTFM

• Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well, I must confess I missed that too. Good catch!

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

SOLUTION #2

Start WSJT-X and JTDX from a command-prompt window, passing each instance a unique identifier (MACHINE NAME) as in the following two-instance example. This procedure will isolate the Settings file and the writable file location for each instance of WSJT-X AND JTDX

wsjtx --rig-name=WSJT  wsjtx --rig-name=JTDX

NOTE:  BOTH WSJT AND JTDX USE THE SAME PROGRAM NAME WSJTX

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    say, it's working! re JTDX

last night, pskReporter says I heard SV9CVY, IS0XRB, CT1EKY, DL5MGV, DK3DG, G3LDI, and SM6NOC, all on 160m.  and top band has been LOUSY.  while none were new, it is interesting

recent all night runs, while i'm sleeping, with wsjt 17 would only turn up one or 2 europeans.

thanks for the heads up, howard.  maybe i'll finally get mainland china ??  which i DO need..

73, w5xz, dan

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Anyone notice an improvement on receive with JTDX when doing EME?  What is your setup for EME and JTDX?  I'm still playing trying to just receive signals on 2 meters
  • Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    On this AGC issue.  With WSJT-X there was a slider for adjusting the gain.  JTDX does not have this gain adjustment.  So adjusting AGC and the Threshold in the manner described in the SSDR User Guide leaves the JTDX waterfall "saturated" (for lack of a better term).  I found that I must also adjust the RX Gain for each channel on the DAX RX Stream to reduce the gain to ~60dB.  Is this the correct way to adjust the gain in JTDX?  I seem to recall a tutorial on a much earlier version of WSJT that the noise floor gain was ~26-30dB.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Try this.  Leave the DAX RX gain @ 50 (0 dB) and drop the AGC-T to a value where you have a proper input gain value for JTDX and see how it decodes.  I have been setting it so that the JTDX input gain is reading ~50 dB with no signals in the passband (ambient noise floor).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.