Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My 15 year ago prediction – sort of

Duane  N9DG
Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

http://www.eham.net/articles/2936

Perhaps more accurately it was my “wish list” for the “ideal radio”. It was fun parsing through my bullet points in that article again recently and seeing just how much of what I was proposing back then is in reality now embodied in the 6K’s today.

While the 6K hardware is not nearly as modular as I was proposing in the article, the 6K’s  do however contain much of the functionality that I was striving for and wanting to see in a “new radio” at that time.

It was also interesting how my design concepts at that time pre-date the economical feasibility of DDC by about 6 or 7 years, so no mention of that technology in that article. And also no mention of smart phones and tablets either. They really didn’t exist yet, or least exist in a widely used popular way like they now are. It even pre-dates the public awareness of the SDR-1000 and PowerSDR.

Predicting the future is always tough. But I wasn’t actually trying to predict the future in that article, but I was instead just describing my wishes for a better radio design approach.

Isn’t nostalgia fun...

Comments

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Uncanny Duane,  you must be a bit clairvoyant.
    Dream big or go home.
    Good article.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Seems to me you just about nailed it.   Did you have a "radio almanac" from the future back then?  :)
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Enjoyed reading your original article. Scary to think 2002 is now 15 years ago! Time flies.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.