Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Confused by a couple of things in the software manual

Harold Rosee
Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
When setting up the 6500 for use on slow scan I ran into some confusion and looked to the software manual for SmartSDR. I am still a little confused and thought I would see if you guys could set me straight.
----

First off I am operating in SSB mode.  I have the DAX turned on in the P/CW window and DAX 2 selected in the slice receiver.

Now, According to section 26.2.6 of the manual, when audio is present on the DAX line it will override the mic audio.  In my case I am using the BAL input.  It says this was implemented for a voice keyer operation.  In my case I am using easypal or another software program to feed the audio to the radio through DAX.

So from the way the documentation reads in this section I am expecting to have the PTT pressed and be talking on SSB; then without releasing the PTT I hit the transmit button in 3rd part software (easypal, etc) that feeds audio to DAX. At this point when audio is present on DAX it should overrider the mic audio. At least that is how I understand what the manual in this section states.  This is NOT happening for me.

So I read further to section 26.5.1 that says when the PTT is engaged it overrides and DAX input and gets audio from the mic.  It seems like this section is in contradiction to the above mentioned section.

I did a couple of experiments and came up with some options I can live with.  First, if you use VOX then things work as described in Section 26.2.6 of the manual.  I don't like VOX so this won't work for me.  The way that I found that works for me is to un-key the mic and then have the program key the 6500 through the CAT interface and send the audio through DAX as planned.

I have never owned or used a voice keyer so I may be misunderstanding the intent of what is described in section 26.2.6.

Anyway, I found a way to do what I want but I am still confused.  I guess if 26.2.6 said it worked this way in "VOX Only" then it would make since.  Or at least that's the way it appears to be operating in my installation

Just looking for comments as I may be totally misunderstand the DAX operation.

Thanks,

Harold
W5ZZT

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Harold

I think, << (warning) it "used to" overide the other inputs. I stumbled onto the same issue. I now select PC instead of BAL or MIC, using a digital apps profile. ACC should work too, but selecting it turns the ACC button blue, doesn't really matter there is nothing connected to either option.

Maybe the manual needs an update, or the Community needs further clarification about how it's supposed to be done.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Jay,

Thanks for your comment.  At least I know someone else has seen the issue. 

I was hoping Tim or someone from FRS would respond but I guess not. 

I think it's a case of one piece of code stepping on another.  It's not too hard to work around so that is what I will do for now.

Harold
    W5ZZT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.