Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone else getting daily crashes with SSDR 1.10.8.39?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
It seems like deja vu, all over again.

I upgraded to SSDR 1.10.8.39 on my 6700. I found the direct USB connection for my Expert Systems 1.3K-FA and improved DStar capability great, but...

I am experiencing crashes and lock ups of my 6700. I get SSDR's lost network connection with my 6700, and when I quit SSDR and restart it, I can't find my 6700. The only way to find my 6700 again is to shut the 6700 down and restart it (it does not quickly power off, but takes a while to consider the command). Occasionally this will only keep it working for 10-15 minutes before it crashes again!

Having been down this road before, I pressed the "OK" center button and the power button, did a factory reset, unplugged the power, replugged the power, turned it on and imported all BUT my preference settings.

This seems to work for most of the day, after which it crashes again!

Is this just me?

Is anyone working on this unexpected "feature"?

Help!

Vy 73,
Roy AC2GS

Comments

• FrankAllen
    FrankAllen Member
    edited December 2016
    Most of my crash problems went away when I rerouted my Ethernet away from the coax. I was getting RF ,a certani frequencies, and down I would go. Fun stuff.

• Marv
    Marv Member
    edited February 2017
    Everything is rock solid for me.  I have the 6500 and no problems.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well, I'm glad to read that everything is peachy over there. 

I wish that I could say the same here.

It definitely isn't an "RF thing" since it is repeatedly crashing without any transmitting going on through the day.

And it isn't an ethernet switch thing, since the 6700 isn't just dropping the network connection, it is locking up and requires a reboot, not just a power cycle of my ethernet switch.

As an experiment, after a factory reset, I only imported my transverter and frequency memories to see if the crashing might stop - since previous factory resets with all but my preferences re-imported survived for the better part of the day, I won't be able to tell if this improved the situation until tomorrow...

"Life on the bleeding edge...."
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Roy, can you send your export file (.ssdr_cfg) to integration@flexradio.com? 

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Consider it done, Ed.
    Thanks!

Vy 73,
    Roy AC2GS
  • Frederic HB9CQK
    Frederic HB9CQK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have exactly the same problem Ed. I will send my cfg file as well, but it is rather old from September.
    Thanks for your support, Frédéric, HB9CQK 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Please do a full export using v1.10.8 and send him that file.  Old config files will not have any useful debug info in them.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Roy -- no it is not just you.  I'm seeing this problem as well as are several others.  It is being aggressively pursued.  As this is a beta release, you may want to back off to the previous version until the problem is found and fixed.
  • Frederic HB9CQK
    Frederic HB9CQK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OK, consider it done Tim.

73, Frédéric, HB9CQK
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Rock solid here.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    TNX OM
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I seem to be getting the "daily crash" with 1.10.8 but I accept that it is a "beta" so not entirely unexpected. I operate 99% of the time with my Maestro but I can fire-up SSDR if an export is wanted. 

The last time my 6500 crashed, a continuous tone of about 250hz started coming out of the Maestro speaker. A long-press of the power button is always required to shutdown the 6500.

73 Phil
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    No crashes here with Windows 7. Are you using 10?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/problems-connecting-to-the-i...

This seems to be a 10 problem... 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I got 2 crashes yesterday, saying lost network connection and a tone coming from the speaker, today its been on all day and not a crash (yet)

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My 6700 locked up overnight, lost connection. Power button didn't react as normal so held the power  button down for about 8 seconds I'd guess and it proceed to power down. Powered it back up and all seems well.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    upgrade to SSDR 1.10.8 went smoothly following the procedure Flex outlines. A few extra restarts of the Windows-10 PC were thrown in for good measure. S/W is working well and it seems to have brought 10 meter band alive for the ARRL 10 meter contest, nice bonus..

A few days after the SSDR update, Win10 was also updated w/o problems. Three PC are running Win10 w/o issues.

k3Tim
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I doubt that this is a "client-side" problem with Windows 10 to blame. Something very similar happed earlier - it was a server side programming error where memory was being was being locked away until it ran out and the 6700 crashed with that same buzz.
    (I thought it was a bad interaction with my "Global Profiles", but even though I did not re-install them, my 6700 crashed again in a day).

I find factory resetting and re-importing my profiles gives me a day before the next crash, while just recycling the 6700 gives me less time between crashes.

I have confidence that FRS will track it down and fix it, as they did before.
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I similarly experienced the same as K3TIM.
    First, I made sure that my Win10 was up to date.
    Second, I followed the instructions given by FRS
    Third, Software that I was having issues with; came to life and got along  quite             well with Win10
    Fourth, I am a happy v1.10.8 user!
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    No problems here and 1.10 has been running 24/7, under Win10 on SSDR, or the Maestro since the upgrade. I did lose the Flex Control once, when switching back to a loaded SSDR from the Maestro, but a restart of SSDR fixed that.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Remember it's Windows, no such thing as too many reboots. Reboot often, Microsoft won't mind. You could waste time wondering why, or save time by rebooting until it behaves again. The answer to the why thing is ... It's Windows. image

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Being connected thru my Maestro, the connection disconnected through the night. Went to my computer in the shack to connect, nothing there. My 6700 locked up overnight, lost connection. Power button didn't react as normal so held the power  button down for about 8 seconds I'd guess and it proceed to power down. Powered it back up and all seems well.  The 6700 locked while it was connected to the Maestro, not a windows computer. So in my case it's obvious not a windows related issue.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mine's been boring since I installed 1.10.8.39.  Works consistently and every time.  However, mine is connected via direct cable, no Maestro, and I only bring it up when I need it.  But I'm running it on Win10.  (Never had a problem).
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I installed v1.0.8 and my F-6700 has been working without any failures. I am also using Win10;.
    and HRD  with no issues on SSB or  digital modes. 
    The radio is available for use from daylight to late evenings.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It's always nice to hear that more fortunate people are experiencing no problems.

Back here, in the trenches, I tried a full factory reset plus temporary power pole disconnect. I then decided not to restore any of my default settings and just let it quietly 'receive' as a general coverage receiver.

By the morning it had crashed again.

Oh, well.

I am sure that FRS will find the bug and squash it.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

FWIW No issues here.

Win7 Pro, 6300 with Maestro.

Ran all weekend chasing a little DX.

• W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am also having the "lost network connection" issue intermittently with my 6500. SmartSDR shuts down and I can hear a low level tone coming from my speakers. Seems to happen just about everyday after the radio has been on for a while. Cycle power button on the radio and it boots back up with no problem and SSDR will connect.
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have experienced this once since upgrading. The radio suddenly shut down, an error message came up to the effect of "lost connection with the radio" and a low tone was coming from my headphones. I also cycled the power button on the radio and the radio re-connected and I was able to proceed. I upgraded immediately when the new software was available. I have been on the air for one to two hours daily since then. Have not been in a prolonged contest since upgrading. I have a 6700 and Maestro.
  • Leo Hoffmann
    Leo Hoffmann Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    • 7 Posts
    •  
    •  0 Reply Likes

Mine was fine till today....Crashes aprox every 14 minutes...Says "SmartSDR has lost connection to the radio. Please reconnect".... using a Flex 6500 with the new beta Ver.1.10.8.30.....Also ...bottom right of screen  shows Message "Client connected from IP 192.168.0,7".......flashes for 8 sec then repeats every 6 sec ......driving me crazy... Leo, kk0usa

• Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited December 2016
    Crashes also here...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If you have not power cycled the radio, do so.  If you still have issues, then it sounds like you have a network connectivity issue.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.