Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.10 and FlexControl

K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
With SmartSDR 1.10 can I just plug my FlexControl into the back of my 6500?

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I believe that the Flex control interacts with SmartSDR and not with the Flex directly. It makes the most sense that it connects to the computer or device that has the software that controls the radio. I have successfully connected the Flex control on a win8 tablet with an OTG cable.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    No, the Flex control is not implemented. USB adds great new functionality for band data, PTT, and bit level control of external devices. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    No, and let me explain the reasoning. The USB port on the back of the radio is being used to implement Radio Control Point devices, meaning devices that must reside close to the radio hardware, like an amplifier or a tuner in order to function.

The FlexControl is a Client (operator) Control Point device, meaning it has to be where the operator is located. Since SmartSDR is a client-server architecture and the client (SmartSDR for Windows) is no longer bound to the radio, it can be in a different room, different building, or different country. Since the FlexContol must be associated with the operator, it interfaces with the client software (SmartSDR for Windows).

While a lot of people chose to combine the radio and client control points together since this is how it has been done traditionally, our vision of a distributed radio system differentiates the two and this will become more important when SmartSDR v2.0 is released with native and seamless remote operation of your FLEX-6000 over the Internet.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This makes a lot of sense to think about the ports as CAT control ports and forget they use USB connectors

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.