Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No SSB audio from N1MM+ function keys

Conrad N5CR
Conrad N5CR Member ✭✭
I have setup everything as described in the "Quick record with N1MM" post.  I can record to a .wav file okay.  When I hit the function key to play back, the TX is keyed, I can see the audio in the DAX TX Stream, but no audio comes out of the transmitter.  I've tried restarting the computer.  What could be the problem?

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Do you have the DAX button enabled in the tx panel?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    that was my first thought as well
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
  • Conrad N5CR
    Conrad N5CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

My DAX button in the P/CW window is activated.  I've recycled power on the 6700.  I've restarted the computer.  Using v1.9.13.  The N1MM+ Config/Logger+ Audio Setup is per "Quick record with N1MM" post.  Seems like it should be working since I can see audio in the DAX TX stream.  I can also play the .wav file in the Windows Media player.

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited October 2016
    I see you are in the CW portion of the band but it looks like you are set up for SSB...
  • Glenn
    Glenn Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Is VOX on?
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Go into n1mm config ports for radio and make all the ptt ports are enabled
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    AH0U that's not on point... I just switched to ssb to properly show the dax in the tx panel.   
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ok thanks for checking these things. Not sure exactly what is going on with this offhand.  radio in PTT, you see the dax streaming but no output.  what is your power level set to?  do you see a waveform on the panafall?  have you listened to one of the created wave files to see if it actually recorded anything?
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited October 2016
    Didn't mean to rattle your cage.. just trying to help... I won't try agn
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    No worries dude. cage not rattled.  I just dont want to complicate this while we go down the rabbit hole trying to help Conrad out.
  • Conrad N5CR
    Conrad N5CR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

1. Power level set to 1 as I'm not on a dummy load.  Raising power level does nothing.  I'm in SSB band at 28.500 MHz.

2. I can listen to wave files in Windows Media player.  Files sound good.

3. Normally use PPT footswitch, especially during a contest.  Can't record a new wave file unless footswitch is pressed.

4. Function key enables PTT during playback. Pressing footswitch during playback makes no difference.

5. I can see DAX Control Panel TX Stream level indicator follow audio level of recording during playback.

6. No indication of output in display or wattmeter during playback.

7. VOX on/off makes no difference.

8. Using SmartSDR v1.9.13, and Windows 7 with all current updates.

9. My 6700 is an early "Limited Edition" model.  Could that make a difference?

10. Any other ideas?

At this point I'm thinking of doing a complete uninstall and reinstall, even though that's supposedly not necessary any more.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Here is a list of the only things I can think of to check...most of which you have probably already checked...

*Is there a CAT OTRSP mismatch in the N1MM+ setup?

*Do you have the TX antenna selected correctly?  (I once wasted 20 minutes at the beginning of a contest calling everyone with the TX Antenna set to XVTR because I had done a quick audio check using FDX & XVTR and forgot to chance it back!)

*Is the TX Power being limited by something in the "Settings" tabs on the rig?

*Have you tried closing DAX and reopening it?

*Do you have transmit power from the live Mic with PTT or VOX?

*Try transmitting with only the Mic (with the DAX button turned off).  
    THEN turn DAX button back ON and try again from the Mic.  
    Then try with the voice keyer...(Or try in the reverse order.)
    It may have some sort of glitch in the on/off toggling.

*Yes, you may need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall, and check for "phantom/hidden" ports/audio devices...

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Also...

*How are you keying the rig from N1MM?  Using CAT commands or a dedicated CAT PTT port RTL/CTS?  You might try the other method.

*You have the "DAX Audio TX" selected as your output device in N1MM config?
    (NOT the "DAX RESERVED Audio TX" Stream RESERVED)

I am grabbing at straws.  Since you said that audio shows on the DAX Control panel in the DAX TX Stream meter it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't be getting to the transmitter........It seems that there either must be a corruption in you SSDR or DAX installation (more likely), or something embarrassingly simple has been checked/missed in the setup tabs (less likely).

• Conrad N5CR
    Conrad N5CR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I found it. I'm using Com3 for footswitch PTT and Com5 for radio control.  When I checked the box "PTT via Radio Command SSB Mode" in Com5 setup, it started working.

This is confusing because I didn't have the "PTT via Radio Command CW Mode" selected either, but the N1MM+ function keys have been working just fine on CW.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Awesome.  this sounds like a slightly unusual config can you send me a screenshot of your config page in N1MM? In particular the com3 for footswitch ptt..
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Congratulations on the find!

RE: The difference with your CW setup....It may be that the N1MM Memory Keyer was simply keying the CW key line without using the COM port PTT at all and you didn't notice it.

I am not a big enough CW contester to see any appreciable difference when using COM PTT along with the Memory Keyer function.  I guess some operators like the rig to stay quiet between characters or letters sent by the Memory Keyer, but like Full Break-in for faster fills when sending with their paddles.  Thus the different PTT Delay in the N1MM PTT setup.

(Can one of the big guns fill me in on the differences/advantages?)

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That explains why I was confused when he said he needed to press the footswitch in order to record.  My footswitch is connected to the RCA jack on the back panel of my 6500.  But I can record without transmitting or hitting my footswitch.

I have never used a COM Port footswitch with N1MM.  Are there practical operation advantages to this setup?

• Conrad N5CR
    Conrad N5CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Here's my Com3 setup.  My N1MM+ function keys won't work on CW without Com3.  Am I doing something wrong?

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    No I dont think you are doing anything wrong at all.. just something new so I was curious.  I have never used a footswitch via N1MM I have always plugged them direct to the rig. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ken you and I need to figure out why you can record without using the footswitch.. need to hit mine to get it to work....
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    noted that when I was helping on the other case..  just have not had time to dive in.  we should compare configs

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not in the shack right now, and probably will not be a major player in the CQWW SSB this weekend.  But I may mess around with some setups tonight or tomorrow and see what I can figure out...

• Conrad N5CR
    Conrad N5CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    My footswitch is plugged direct to my rig too, but apparently N1MM doesn't know about it without Com3.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Chris,
    I just had a thought as I looked at Conrad's picture.

I do not have anything configured in N1MM for Footswitch since my footswitch is direct to the rig.  This means that I do not have any auto-stop of the CQ loop, or ability to pause and insert comments into a Voice Keyer Macro by using the footswitch.  But it may explain why I can record without it because N1MM isn't expecting any footswitch status input.

Could that explain anything?  
    Just thinking....which is often dangerous...

Ken - NM9P
  • Conrad N5CR
    Conrad N5CR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    What I meant to say is that N1MM+ uses COM3 to send function key CW.  The annoying thing is that the CW speed control in N1MM, and the speed control in the 6700 don't track each other, i.e. when I change speed, I have to change both so my hand key and N1MM send at the same speed.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ok Conrad got it.  So thats not a footswitch but a ptt via com port.  yes thats a bit annoying but if you use a winkeyer port you can control both. 

Ken thats not it.  we will need to dive a bit deeper I am sure its a setting and I want to document it.  The flex voice keying workflow needs to be documented and added to the logger setup docs.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Chris,  Here is a strange thing...I was doing some testing this afternoon, and I CAN Record the RUN CQ voice Keyer without pressing the footswitch.  But I COULD NOT record anything else without it.  I looked at the DAX Mic Stream, and it is indeed not showing any voice without PTT/Footswitch.  I remember in some previous versions being able to do it, and having DAX Mic Stream live without PTT.  

This may be a running change in a version or two back made to try to reduce the noise burst upon initial transmit problem.

What I did this afternoon to set up recordings for the CQWWSSB was either:
    1) to put transmit to XVTR and use VOX, and then Shift+Ctrl and Function Key; or
    2) hit footswitch, then Shift+Ctrl and Function Key

Either way worked and I got good recordings without needing to transmit a signal.  I also used the FDX and listened to my signal on slice B to get an idea how it was sounding.

UPDATE....
    One thing I noticed...When I set things up for SO2R, using the OTRSP on one of the serial ports, and did NOT press the DAX button, but let the OTRSP do the auto switching for me, then I could watch the DAX MIC Stream ant it WAS showing mic output even without the PTT/Footswitch pressed....

This is strange, and may be another instance where toggling a button makes it work again.  In this case, the DAX button on the TX Panel.  in any case, I can NOW record without PTT/Footswitch pressed.....The trick it seems, is to make sure that DAX Mic Stream is showing output ......

Ken - NM9P

BTW, I am using Logger+ Audio in the setup...Here are a couple config pics...
    imageimage
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Do you think I should record this as a defect?  Its kind of sounding like it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm not sure.  I haven't been able to get it to stop showing audio in DAX Mic Stream again. Let me recycle the rig and start over and see if I can get it to stop again.  At present, I am able to get audio out to the program WITHOUT pressing PTT/Footswitch.  I want to see if it is a "requires toggle" situation upon reboot/startup....

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.