Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Setting the Global Profile for Startup

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I only have three Global Profiles:  MyDigi, MyGlobal (SSB), and the supplied SO2RDefault (never used).  When I start my 6300 using SmartSDR some other Global profile gets loaded because my settings are NOT any of the three and the Mic Profile says *MyGlobal every time.  I have saved Global Profile many times trying to fix this, to no avail.  

What Global Profile is getting loaded at Startup and how can I make it load MyGlobal at Startup?  

I've read the SmartSDR user guide and the separate document on using profiles ... no mention of Startup found.  

Answers

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm going to throw out a guess here. No global profile is being loaded when you start up your rig. Persistence is dictating the startup conditions - basically where you left off last time. I'm thinking this is generally what people would want.

Recently we found out about the use of command line arguments to automatically select a rig during startup. I wonder if there's also a command line argument trick that can be used to select a specific profile to cover your need. Maybe someone will chime in with that and also correct me if I'm wrong about startup conditions.

Another thing about profiles (I really don't like profiles) is that some change by band, mode, slice. A particular profile you have in effect right now may be totally different - but have the same name - as a profile in another band or slice. As you found out, there is really no way to tell what has changed in a profile and even worse, you can never really tell if the Global Profile has changed as there is no asterisk for that. Profile implementation has very limited use in my opinion.

Kev K4VD

[spelling]
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Tnx Kev, hoping someone will provide more info.  At a minimum the currently loaded Global Profile name should be displayed somewhere, but I haven't found it.  
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    **** B,
    I'm not sure if this will help or not but seemed to work for me. I believe you are wanting the radio to start up with a known "persistence". My radio was coming up fine with a frequency and the settings I wanted at startup every time but for some reason when I set up profiles at global, transmit, and microphone the radio would come up at startup completely off base afterwards. I went back and set everything (all wanted settings) up on a particular band and changed to another band using the "Band" icon on the SmartSDR main screen (left side), then went back to the band I setup to check to be sure the settings were correct and they were, this would ensure that "band persistence" was working. I then shut down everything there and all came back up on cue. I know this is not quite what we were expecting as we were thinking the radio would have persistence at shutdown but it seems the band persistence will help set this up at this time or at least it did for me. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.

73's
    Joe
    WD5Y

• Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Joe, I'll do some more experimenting ... I'm just puzzled why I can have Mic and TX profiles with an "*" in front of them, load a Global Profile to get rid of the "*" then shutdown and restart and have the "*" back!  

I want to start in a known state each time, even if it's always the same one, as long as I know which one it is and possibly how to control it.  

The Startup state of profiles remains confusing.  I'd rather operate than have to do such experiments.  : ) 

• Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I understand. I just ran into this and have been checking to see if any other comments were made on this subject also. In my case everything started ok until I set some profiles up, it changed in that I would shut down where I wanted it to start up but no persistence so not sure what happened until I got around it with the band persistence set up in Smartsdr, I normally change bands / frequencies with FRStack. I like your idea of "tagging" a profile for startup.

73's
    Joe
    WD5Y
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I use FRStack also, love it!  But just to make sure it was not FRStack doing something I don't understand I started SmartSDR by itself and had exactly the same issues.  
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    FRStack is my choice as well. That might be a good option with FRStack having a selection for a tagged startup memory with it's saved selections. I know this is probably a hard task to do but worth mentioning.

Joe
    WD5Y
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    As some users have stated, a specific Global Profile is not loaded on initial connect to the Radio. Persistence determines what is loaded on connect which should be the state of your radio when you last disconnected. Some third party applications save and load global profiles on connect and disconnect but SmartSDR for Windows and SmartSDR for Maestro do not. 

Global profiles are a starting point for radio operation not a running state of the radio. This means that there is never a 'currently loaded' global profile unlike transmit and mic profiles. 

The asterisk appearing next to a transmit/mic profile indicates that a field in the transmit or mic profile has changed. Recently we found and fixed several bugs relating to this where the asterisk would appear even though nothing had changed. This should be fixed in the next release. 
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Ed, really appreciate all of the work that the Flex team has and is putting into the 6000 series. I know on my part that I need to understand more about the menu choices and what can be done with the setup, (persistence, etc.). 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ah ha!  Yes apparently that bug Ed is what had me confused because the asterisk was appearing when I had changed nothing.  Thanks!  I'm still on 1.7.30 monitoring the issues with 1.9.x and waiting for it to settle down a bit then I'll upgrade.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.