Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro and VPN Setup ?

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Can anyone tell me 'exactly' how to setup my Maestro/Flex 6500 for remote use in Florida this winter and I'm not expecting Flex to have Version 2.0 of Smart SDR ready before we leave in late December.

We will be leaving my Flex 6500 radio home with no computer operating but using a remote power-on (WEMO) for the radio. 

Does anyone have a "How to Setup Flex Maestro via VPN for Dummies" procedure? 

Which VPN company do you recommend ?

I have an TPLINK Archer C7 router at home. 

I have read a number of comments on the forums about VPN's but nothing that I could find that is a "start to finish using the Maestro".

We have high speed Internet here at home and as well in Florida (Comcast). 

Bill
VA3QB

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2019
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim,
    The problem with Steve's videos is the lack of a crib sheet for his steps and he indicated that he had a video coming that  would show us Mac users how to set up and use the softether bridge.  Again, a pdf of his on screen notes would be helpful.  I have set up the home server but have had no luck in getting connected to it.

Thanks, however for re-posting the video links.

John
    W9KXQ
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You can try contacting Steve (K6OZY) directly. He was very helpful to me in getting this going. Mine has been online continuously since July and works great.
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    My name is Chris, and yes I would love to help you get your flex working remotely until 2.0 is out. Contact me offline.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Hi John, I will try to build a good companion guide to help everyone.
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oops...sorry about the name Chris. 
    Tnx again....73 de Arnie W8DU
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The video's that Tim show use a / two Raspberry Pi's to set up a VPN.  Is there any other way to do it with out them? 

Bill
    VA3QB
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yes you can use two PCs to do the same thing.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Chris, I will contact you over the weekend about how to set it up. Thnx
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The R-Pis are a lot cheaper and more convenient that a Windows PC for remote use.
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Chris, W9NJM & I spoke with you at Dayton and both of us are looking forward to your help.  We are in the same "going to be gone this winter" boat with Bill VA3QB.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Excellent Chris.

No level of detail is too small to cover, as like many of us I don't get regular opportunity to do all these neat things often enough to "have the feel" or know my way around without guidance.

Thank you and 73

Steve K9ZW

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm working on automating this with a script and some other stuff... just have to try out a few things in the test lab in the next couple of weeks including wifi options. This is not a guarantee mind you, so don't wait for my solution. But if it's a pleasant surprise I am not ruling that out. :)
  • Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Would a VPN get round issues when the IP provider uses NAT and/or blocks ports?? I know Teamviewer somehow makes through firewalls that are supposed to a be tight (don't ask :) ) I would love to use a mobile phone as access point but it seems to  be very restricted to open ports.
    /Lasse SM5GLC
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll price them out ...  Thanks Tim
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Chris, which R-Pi's do you recommend ?

Bill 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Yes and no. If the ISP where the server (radio) is located is behind ISP NAT and you can't port forward then you're out of luck. However if the client is behind NAT then it should work. Teamviewer works by using an intermediary, I believe so there are only outgoing connections initiated from each side.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Well 2 months ago I asked how to setup my Maestro/Flex 6500 for remote use in Florida this winter.

Over the last month I purchased 2 Raspberry Pi's. One a Pi 3  and the other a Pi 2.

I followed the video links that Tim had posted.  Many thanks to Chris K6OZY for some excellent work.  I got mine working. Took a lot of time and rewinding the video over and over to get it correct. Even starting over a couple of times. 

I have the Maestro  setup at a friends place for the past week. He is testing it for bugs etc. and it has worked flawlessly.

I would recommend going this route if you need remote access to your Flex 6x00 from a remote location.

On a side note I have access to my entire network remotely as well.

Now if Version 1.10 of Smart SDR can access my antenna rotor the world will be perfect.

Bring on Florida !! 

Bill Reid
    VA3QB 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Bill I am curious which model of PI 3 did you buy? I am considering one of the kits on Amazon. 73 Tim VE6SH
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim 

I used a Raspberry Pi 2 (Got from a hamfest) for the home VPN server and a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B (Purchased from Amazon.ca) as the VPN remote unit connected to the Maestro.  

Bill Reid
    VA3QB
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tnx 73 Tim
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The pi 3 is good for this but the built in wifi is very poor as the built in antenna is a small pcb trace. In tests more than a few meters from the router the pi begins to cut back link speed because of lower snr. As a workaround you can use an external wifi dongle and disable the internal wifi or add a u.fl connector to the board, a coax pig tail and an external gain antenna for much better range. The pi 3 has a space labeled J3 for the connector on the board. You do void your warranty in this case but it's a $35 item so I'm not too worried. Besides, I wear my "i void warranties" shirt a lot. :) If you're buying a kit I recommend the viaboot kits. It comes with the case, psu, heat sink, preloaded SD card (NOOBS), Ethernet and hdmi cables.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Also, noticed that a HDMI 3.5inch screen is now available can now mount onto of the Pi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Raspberry-Pi-LCD-HDMI-USB-Touch-Screen-Display-Audio-for-Pi-2-Pi-3-Model-B-/351913962824?

First Time I have seen a HDMI Screen this small for Raspberry Pi 3 and with a Touch Screen in HDMI Format as well !

Just came out Nov 11, 2016 as a new Miniature HDMI screen for the Pi

Also this seller has new Clear Plastic Cases $5 available for the Pi 3 and 3.5inch 
    HDMI Touch Screen which just came out 

73 Mike
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Link for my Wireless Dual Band Dongle used on Pi 3 great range
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/222222977471?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

73 Mike

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Many thanks to all. I will have fun over the next few weeks getting this to work! I ordered a pi 3 kit from Amazon so hopefully will arrive this week. 73 Tim VE6SH
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim

What do you plan to use at the other end?  I had to use two Raspberry Pi units. 

Bill
    VA3QB
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I plan to use Pis at both ends and the Maestro for remote.. I ordered a Pi 3 from Amazon and after viewing K6OZY's excellent videos I realize what I purchased is overkill (touchscreen etc). So I will return and have ordered two basic Pi 3 kits. Do you know if K6OZY has written instructions or a script for the setup. The videos are great, but I tend to like having a cheat sheet in front of me!

Tim VE6SH

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you are using a computer or tablet on the vacation end, then you don't need a pi on that end. Windows, IOS and Android all have built-in VPN clients that work pretty well. I have not used the Android one, but have used the Windows 10 and IOS VPN clients and they work great to connect to my VPN server running on a Pi2 at home.
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oops...I just realized that Bill said he was using the Maestro at the distant end, so I presume that means he is not planning on having a computer. So never mind my previous comment. I was thinking about my use where I use a computer running SSDR in Windows 10 or an iPad running IOS and their respective built-in VPN clients. Sorry for any confusion engendered by my previous comment.
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The pi with the touch screen is actually a good idea since you can use it to sign into hotel wifi etc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.