Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Off Top? : Surface Pro 4 & Remote etc.

Andrew Holman2
Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
So after the maestro and surface pro discussion last week. I bit the bullet and bought a Surface Pro 4, 8GM mem, i7, 256GB SSD. 

I tied this into a 50" 4K TV.

How do most of you remote? Do you have a normal computer in the shack, then remote into that and do things or do you just load everything up on the surface pro 4.  Right now it seems that with the surface its pretty warm running Smart SDR, Log4OM etc.  So I am curious of your typical setup, for those of you who remote into your network and use the Flex.

Note: I also have a RT-21 rotator / hex beam and an amp, so I am wondering if having another computer as the main. I would like to use the surface for something instead of just the 50" monitor.  (Maybe just a display to the radio?) but then where will Dax/Fldigi etc., live. 

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    1st and foremost make sure both your home and the network your running on is as fast as possible on a descent VPN like OpenOffice or SmartSDR, best not to use (PPTP VPN), (This is what is missing on the Maestro, NO VPN)
    Running Remote on most devices works better if you have under display settings the "Feet per second" and "rate" to as low as you can stand.
    I run my desktop with DDUTIL to work the external Antenna Tuner,  Amp. , ect. at home, You don't want SmartSDR running on the main desktop right now you can't run them both anyway.

Then on your remote computer, If you don't need CAT or DAX functions working for your CW or SSB communications then turn them off which will help with loading on your networks.

You DO what them running for Loggers and Digital programs you want to run on the Surface Pro.

Anyway just remember it is NO difference then running your Main computer other then your on different Networks. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    So can you give a quick rundown of what is running on each device? Do you use smart sdr on the tablet, then also use a remote desktop to get to the local computer running DDUtil etc?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    yes, 
    Main desktop:
    DAX, CAT, and DDUTIL ( DAX and CAT can run on both computers )

Remote Windows computer/tablet:
    SmartSDR for Windows
    if running a Logger that follows the Radio then you want CAT running,
    If you run a program like FLDigi then you want both DAX and CAT.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    For CW and occasional SSB remotes, I convenience of SSDR (iOS version here). But when it comes to digital modes, it usually works better to remote into the Shack PC. Splashtop, VNC, Team Viewer, etc, all have their adherents and advantages. It's pretty easy to get things going, too.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Another thing, if you have a "FLEX Control" it works really good with the remote computer, I have mine set for MOD = MOX, On/Off = Master AF, Toggle=AGC-T, Main Knob=Tune Slice.
    Of course you can set these to what ever you want. 
    Just wish the FLEX Control was blue-tooth instead of wired but can't do anything about that.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I do have the flex control. I am not sure how having DAX / CAT running on the main pc helps if you use FlDigi? I am guessing you would have to remote into the main computer to use fldigi if you want to use it?
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    This Surface Pro 4 is nice, I guess I am worried about abusing it. The mac's just run and don't have problems. I like that I can install SmartSDR on here and VPN in but its the other stuff that I worry about, maybe I shouldn't? Right now the Surface Pro 4 is the desktop it works ok, its not as fast as my decked out Mac Mini, but it works pretty well. I am debating on throwing windows on the mac mini as well just so I can use it as the desktop and then use the tablet as well. Decisions decisions.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    It doesn't help, it just isn't a problem running CAT and DAX on the main machine because of the very fast network and to run your station devices you WILL NEED at least CAT running on the Desktop, Just pretend your on your Desktop computer when your on the remote Windows SmartSDR.
    only difference is your extending your network and bringing your TX/RX audio and controls out the Tablet / remote computer instead of the Desktop computer it self. 
    you DON'T need to be Remote Desktop'ed into your home station with a windows device to run your digital programs they will run native on your remote windows tablet.

I have 2 ASUS Windows tablets, IPAD Pro AIR, and a Maestro I run remote so I have seen the differences running them I like them all but they all have positive and negatives to deal with, running on  a Windows Tablet / Laptop is the most convenient because you can run the native Windows digital programs and next is the IPAD PRO Air and love the way it operates and "all in one solution" with the wireless connection except for running digital programs, and unfortunately last is the Maestro, with NO VPN built in it really is lacking connectivity in a remote base system. 

Bret 
    WX7Y
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    You are not abusing it, they are PCs!

You might look at buying a TCP/Serial port box (the box connected to your lan and whatever you need to use the serial port for, then software on your Surface Pro will create a virtual Comm port and direct its traffic to the box).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.