Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR video recording

km9r.mike
km9r.mike Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Does anyone know how to make a direct capture / recording of SSDR video via the pc ? I can accomplish a screen shot with the windows snipping tool and get the following

and likewise

however it would be neat to record video being produced by SSDR w/o holding an ipad or similar up to my lcd display. Any suggestions ? I imagine that there may be third party software I could download but I am leery of free stuff cuz free stuff is never free usually some way or another. Specifically I guess I am asking if anyone knows of a windows screen recording tool made for sale by MS ? 

BTW, these are screenshots of AM broadcast in Reno.

Answers

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Mike! One of very easy is https://screencast-o-matic.com 73!
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This will do it. Often used for recording game play on PCs.

http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I use Manycam.
  • N3FRP
    N3FRP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Take a look at SnagIt from TechSmith. Its a low cost option.
    https://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

Frank

N3FRP
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You could always capture the I/Q stream via DAX and play the file back whenever. I guess it depends on who needs to see it played back.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    I use a produce called SnagIt from TechSmith
    http://discover.techsmith.com/try-snagit/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjK--BRCzv-Wyu4OTosEBEiQAgFp5OCI1MC4tyLzIcjbL...

This link will get you a free trial and I think it's $50.00  Just turn the audio to remote and capture.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I like ManyCam (Paid Version) for the features:
    • Different Audio sources at the same time. (DAX1, DAX2, ... DAX n) Mic, etc.
    • Different Video sources (pic in pic) I can record screen and webcam capture
    • Virtual Webcam (you can use a Virtual ManyCam to send desktop to skype)
    • I can record the desktop and myself and use a green/blue or any solid color background.
    • Many different resolution combinations
    • Easy upload to many services, such as YouTube.
    • You can select to record a full screen or just the application.
    • Easy to use GUI.

You can try the FREE version before you pay. FREE version has limited features.

I have no affiliation to ManyCam besides being a happy customer.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For my Flex-Radio tutorials, I have used OpenBroadcaster, which is a freeware, multi-platform program.  It is relatively easy to configure, and did I say FREE?

https://obsproject.com/

Ken - NM9P
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Ok thanks guys for all the help. You have given me a lot to consider and I appreciate your advice.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I really like how my Flex can capture audio via a  virtual button on SSDR and I am just wanting something similar for SSDR generated video via my PC vice via a camera pointing at my lcd display. It would be a matter of convenience plus I think a video recording via the pc would better capture the awesome graphics generated by SSDR.
  • Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited August 2017
    Is it possible to play back the I/Q stream in SmartSDR? I liked this feature in PowerSDR but haven't done this for years. Tony VK5TT
  • Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited August 2017
    I have just thought this through ... due to the thin client architecture, is there a way to record the I/Q stream through DAX and then feed it back to the radio for playback through SmartSDR. Tony
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    SnagIt is great for screen shots ... Camtasia will record your screen action real time. It's a little salty though but it is good.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Is it possible to play back the I/Q stream in SmartSDR? I liked this feature in PowerSDR but haven't done this for years. 

No.

I have just thought this through ... due to the thin client architecture, is there a way to record the I/Q stream through DAX and then feed it back to the radio for playback through SmartSDR. 

No.  The radio does not process I/Q data in the same way as the previous generation of SDRs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.