Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IC-7610 SDR Announced at Tokyo Ham Fair 2016

Larry - WA7LZO
Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas

Link to announcement, with photo of IC-7610 SDR:

http://www.icomuk.co.uk/News_Article/3508/19067/

Comments

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Any new SDR shown by Kenwood or Yaesu?
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Nah they are left behind ...the 7610 is...uninspiring... dual watch lol.... a 7300 in a bigger box n bigger screen ... shiny but hardly innovative 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

No details yet.. so we can't be sure 7610 is an SDR

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't say so. It fits perfectly the basical needs to work a split. It has 100 watt, internal tuner, touch screen and external monitor. If it will cost 3000$ it will be far cheaper than 6300 plus a Maestro.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    4800$
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58FI2WzRB-M

Looks like a 7300

seems cost is $4800
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited August 2016
    the spec says it uses the same sdr rx tech as the smaller 7300so I assume its sdr and has a lan socket on the rear panel. once bitten by ic7400 twice why - I wouldnt touch one until there were a lot in the field and over 12 months in use.  Time for yaesu to catch up and replaced the ftdx5000 with something sdr based?
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited August 2016
    why = shy
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ah, let the hand wringing begin.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited December 2016
    It is an sdr
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited August 2016
    Estimated cost $3000.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited August 2016
    $3000
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    NO WNB !!! 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    As you all know, Flex was taken to task by a few folks for not having Pre distortion. Why is there nothing said about the Icoms not having it?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No regrets with my 7300. I had considered holding fire until the official release of this rig, but no point based on inside info.

I would be very, very surprised if Yaesu and Kenwood are doing nothing SDR-wise. I reckon that they are just holding back on some final design decisions so they can learn from everybody else's mistakes or to trump them in the tech specs dept.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    >>NO WNB !!!
    Probably does not need one ;-).
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2016
    This will impact K3S/P3 sales !
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2016
    I do, live next to RFI city - Fast Impulse Noise S9 +10 most bands
    The WNB is a life saver !
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2016
    Bet the IC-7610 has he same 1 Preselect Filter for Two Bands as the IC-7300 to save cost.
    The OVF problem to adjacent bands problem will still be there in the typical ICOM style.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    NO computer required!
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Scattered thoughts:

Yaesu and Kenwood may have decided to target chronologically/intellectually "old" hams who insist on buying large, heavy, expensive analog  radios. 

A few things we Flex users might learn from Icom are (1) How to eliminate latency in an SDR.  My 7300 seems to have little/none compared to my 6300+I7 computer.  (2) How to make an SDR that is more RF-proof.  My 7300 survives very well in less-than-ideal environments where there is lots of stray RF while my 6300 does not.

Technology and performance aside, I'll stick with Flex Radio Systems because of their second to none customer/technical support.  Icom would probably never allocate the resources and talent to match what Flex does to make their customers successful and happy.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2016
    The Flex6500/6700 is Front End RF bullet proof since it has the Individual Band PreSelectors compared to the 6300 and the ICOM 7610/ICOM 7300
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Icom achieves lower latency at the expense of filter shape. But don't assume this is a permanent comparison. Anything software defined can be changed dramatically and relatively quickly with new programming.

Remember, the first ARRL review dinged the 6000's CW note and side bands. A new software release and the CW note was perfect.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chaps, this place has become like some of the supercar forums that exist.  On these they insist on poo-pooing the opposition as their car can only go 159mph instead of the 161mph of the forum's favourite. Such comparisons are meaningless, unless one has an ideally located QTH, a quiet QTH and perfectly located and tuned antennas. Who does?
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    My car goes 155 mph and then the computer shuts it off

73  W9OY
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Same here :-(((.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    My British Leyland TR-7 was run up to 135 MPH on Dulles Access RD in '78. Plenty of gas pedal left but 135mph a mere few inches off the road drove my adrenaline OVL so even though I could have punched it,I graciously declined to press my luck. It was legacy analog, no computer to freeze up. And, as it happens, I lived to tell y'all about it. ...OR, I didn't and everything since that night has been a consequence of being on the other side.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    No way to compare 7600 with any combination Flex6X00+Maestro, 7610 just successor of 7600 Flex Go a Head!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.