Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for iOS Add Ona

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Neat Features:

There are a couple of Neat Extra Features that Marcus has added to the SmartSDR for iOS  App ($4.99 each)

1. Band Plan  this is a graphic on screen band plan to make sure you do not transmit out of band

2. DX-Cluster  - I really love having spots show up on the display...

this is a must have if you plan to work DX from your iPhone or iPad.. it just makes life so easy to see the DX in front of you or by looking on the Spots lists.and clicking on a spot brings you to the correct frequency..

I just worked Vannutu yesterday while babysitting a grandkid... saw him on my iPhone display and BAM he was in the log... Now if he would only LOTW

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

One other feature that I really love is the ALTERNATIVE COLORS

With advancing age I am visually challenged to see low luminescence colors like red on black.

I can finally see the meters in SSDR for iOS - I only wish it were possible to do this in SSDR for Windows..

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I really like the DX-Cluster and Band Plan features!  It would be nice if SSDR for Windows had those features as well!

Cal/N3CAL
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, i agree the DXcluster is well worth it and works extremely well. A real bargain, these are.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    sounds like JT Alert
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Except SSDRiOS puts the spots right in the display image
  • Hojon Lee     W1JAC
    edited August 2016
    When and if it's ported to Linux, then I will be excited! W1JAC
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Howard, I don't know how to turn the DX cluster band & mode filters on they are grayed out, not functional, only the DX cluster list is updated & responsive.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Ali

The DX Cluster is a paid add-on.  If you have paid for it, then it should work.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    imageimage
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Howard, I did buy it, and only the list works, filter cant be switched on.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Howard, The features to add spots, visible colors, readable meters and Swr, power graphs have all been requested on SSDR for Windows. Actually they have been highly ranked by the users based on the votes. And they have been on the list for years in some cases. And here they are in the initial release for iOS. Given the praise they are getting and the user support for these tweaks, I wonder why they haven't been addressed on the FRS Windows SSDR version already. It would be nice to hear that they coming and when, it's not like any of these changes need to be kept secret as competative advantage concerns. Thoughts? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    Because they are a company. They have to have a meeting regarding cost and allocation of rescources . Time involved. Is it worth it???
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Steve, Understand and agree.....but after a few years it seems like it could have happened by now. - have a meeting - decide to make the changes (or not) - tell us the plan Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    Low or no priority
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    reboot your iPad and try again.. if still not working put in a bug report
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

They are in SSDR for iOS because during the Alpha testing we requested that Marcus fix the GUI to make it more readable and add spots to make it more usable.  Since he was starting on a blank page these were doable..

I suspect based on the speed that the Amazing Marcus added these features that the iOS GUI is more programmer friendly that the Windows GUI for things like spots, colors etc... I am too far away from programming to be able to comment intelligently..

AND.. Flex has to look at the bottom line and what draws new sales.. so things like contest features, WAN, Great CW, are likely much higher on the list..

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Flex has made it clear that GUI changes are WAY down on the priority list. I suspect if they could be made pay for options like they are in the IOS app we would have a laundry list to choose from. Personally, I wish we could have such a list. I would gladly pay my fair share for some...dare I say it...eye candy.

Jon...kf2e
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I guess I will have to do that, I also noticed if the iPad orientation is chanced the waterfall resets. I missed having the network status & strength bars as well.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    So, my question is.  How many people were behind the development of this application?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

One... the Amazing Marcus DL8MRE did 100% of the design and coding.

BUT he used the FLEX API tools developed by the Flex Programming Staff

I am not sure but I think he may have also used some of Stu's K6TU Apple iOS API Coding Tools as well.

AND there were a number of Alpha Testers who put it through its debugging paces and made suggestions for improvements in operations, GUI, spots, band maps, etc.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @Howard

From above RE: "I suspect based on the speed that the Amazing Marcus added these features that the iOS GUI is more programmer friendly that the Windows GUI for things like spots, colors etc."

I wonder if the FRS programmers would disagree.....maybe it's just a matter of not having the priority to tackle the changes as Jon mentioned.  Our application team using C# and .net used to make these kind of tweaks pretty quickly.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................. V 1.8.4.84
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.8.4.168
    Win10

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard i use DX watch and am able to filter to see only spots that were reported by US stations.  Is there support for this here or could it be requested?  
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I did not know that you have to buy the band plan tool also to get the DX Cluster filter to be activated!
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Maybe we can get Marcus to write a JT65 and PSK add on into his App and then I can just carry the ipad. Ian
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi All, apps works fine, however some simple question i have ( i guess just lost some articles here) 
    - not clear how to select Global Profile on radio,
    - BTW http://ham-radio.apps.com/ not accessable, where i can download  manual ?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Profiles image
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Howard thank you! ,  however .....hmmmm...., 
    ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
    tested with different providers, may prohibited for Rus ?
    Tracert stopped in Germany.
    Markus, pls advise.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, i know this menu, but in case choose an Global Profile from Radio and then tap Use nothing happenes.
    may be other sequnce necessary  here ?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have noticed the same thing. I can see the profiles but that's it, they won't load.

Jon...kf2e

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.