Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

power button fell off 6300, Flex cutting corners

MY power button fell off  for no reason..

I have seen this happen a lot on this forum,

for a 2 grand radio (entry level model) they are  really cheap **** badly built with poor software that is like beta software.. I will NEVER buy Flex again  !

NEVER had a knob fall of any other radio, Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom ETC ETC.. and they dont cost the earth, you would think Flex would not be cutting corners considering the outrageous prices they charge.. Very Poor Flex, Very Poor..

It is ironic the there is only ONE  button on the Flex 6300 and they couldn't even get that right !

Comments

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tell me when else you saw this happen on this forum
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Rob, it should simply snap back on
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Relax.  It is just button.  They snap back on.  No one died.  

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It took all weekend for a bit of entertainment. Thanks Rob, that was funny.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I have a $50,000+ BMW that's under recall because the air bags can explode in your face.  Stuff happens.  I will never buy another BMW but only because I won't live long enough to save up the money. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Mike, you might want to reconsider your avatar. It looks creepy like you are taking a picture of the person viewing the web page from your little hidy square (think Laugh-In), or that your you are vain and taking another picture of yourself in the mirror. Which appears to be fairly often. ;-)
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I'm not sure where that got pulled in from. However all my friends loved it as I'm a professional photographer. This was taken by another professional. No mirror involved. And if you know me, and you don't, I'm not that vain.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited February 2017

nope, it DOES go on but its not stable, it just falls of

i see guys sticking up for them here and giving "praise"  i will never understand why, there is SO much wrong with Flex  and their software.. i just don't get it ..

if any other company pulled this cost cutting **** people would be going Nuts !

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Why don't you send it back and get another switch? Or would you rather just sit there and ****?

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

i would RATHER get the Premium product i paid PREMIUM money for .. ok ???

why should i have to "send back" my radio and be without for god knows how long ???

its quite unbelievable how some people **** up to this shoddy company ..

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Rob, do you have a call sign? 

As upset as you seem to be over a button, I would hate to see what happens if something really bad happened. 

BTW I am on my third Flex radio and have had my 6300 since they first came out.  I have no problem with the hardware and don't consider it cheap at all.  I am sure Flex will take care of your button issue - put in a ticket and ask them.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Troll alert.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

yes i do have a call sign

why do you guys not get what I'm saying ??? its very strange .. do you guys  REALLY consider Flex to be the premium product it claims to be ??

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    No, a sign of a troll is not putting your call sign in your post.  Not doing so makes you unaccountable for your statements.  An unpublished phone number makes sense.  An unpublished ham radio call sign does not.

You're entitled to your opinion.  Have you ever wondered why so many people support Flex in these discussions?  I doubt that there is some sort of subversive Flex-sponsored mind control going on, so it must be because the majority of us feel that we have a leading edge quality product.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

i have put my call sign on Many posts, i use facebook to log in as its easier,

ok 73 DE 2M0LDT

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

i do troll i guess : )

who doesn't at times ( be honest)  but not here.. I'm just p***ed off.. that's all.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Steve and Duane, while I concur with your views on call sign disclosure, I believe I was recently 'told to sit down and shut up' as that issue had been previously litigated. However, where Rob does have a point is 'now what'? Suppose as straw-like as a switch may seem to some, if yours fell off and you couldn't get it to stay on securely, it would be, at a minimum annoying as he...ck. So, if that was the final straw, and we all have a threshold for how much tolerance we're willing to extend to ANY vendor, he has a broken radio..a broken very expensive radio, that would be sold at a significantly reduced price. As even Tim cautioned against the last time, he advised against super-gluing it back on.

Rob, is it under warranty still? If so, get an RMA. Also, the switch is keyed so be sure you are mating it to the button properly.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have had many premium products that have had issues.  That is why we have warranties. I measure a product and its manufacturer by response to problems and in that respect FRS consistently shines.  If you always expect perfection you are doomed to always be disappointed.

I had a fan failure in my 6500.  I had it back from FRS in a week with shipping both ways paid.  THAT is superior service.

I am totally satisfied with my Flex.  If you are that unhappy, for goodness sakes sell it and get what will satisfy you.  The last time I checked Flex 6xxx radios were bringing a good price.

Gene K3GC
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

sell a radio i bought brand less than a month ago ? and loose how much ?? no, that would not bee acceptable.

Plus I'm in the United Kingdom, not so easy to deal with issues i guess.

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

Hi Walt, yes i had a good look at it, its really a very cheap button akin to a keyboard button .. quite unbelievable really ..

Rob

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If it is under warranty, fixing it is free to the owner. If it is out of warranty it becomes a seriously expensive broken switch. But, it will be like an itch you cannot scratch. And we all know those are, by far, the most annoying ones.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Seriously Rob, consider this thread a done deal and open a help desk ticket to get advice on how to get warranty service at you locale.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited June 2020

Just to be CLEAR .. i DO like using the waterfall and having the whole SDR experience.. i am just not very  impressed with Flex as a radio or a company,

i was really shocked to see the cheap button when i pulled the radio out the box as i was the usb controller .. i don't think that will last long..

the supplied fist mic  is a joke, not worth a penny , unusable

smartSDR is missing a LOT of basic features,

i thought Flex was a long established radio like yaesu or  tentec to be closer, but i feel like i am a beta tester when it comes to smartSDR   not what i was expecting.

it seems also that many issues are not properly resolved,  and the topic closed..

all in all i would go with a different SDR radio given the choice now.

I so wanted to sing the praises of Flex to everybody, but in all good conscience, i cant .

you can call me a troll, say what you want.. doesn't make me wrong.

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2018
    am i just venting ?? maybe a bit, i just expected better.  i can live with constantly pushing the button back on..

i just want FLEX to listen to me and read my posts.. after all , all my "Bitching" as Jim calls it, might get Flex to sit up and take notice, and maybe not slap  a 99 Cent button on a 2 Grand radio !

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Whether you keep the radio is a different issue. There are and have been people where you are now. My advice? Where it's under warranty, get it fixed. It's far easier selling something not broken.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I bet there is a door you can take you and your Flex out of. Flex is not perfect but they are better than anyone else. Sell yours.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Burt :-) Where do you come up with this 'pictures worth a thousand words' photos????
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    if the radio is less then a month old then you can send it back to Flex for a refund so you don't even have to sell it.
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have a folder called "Topical Pictures."image

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.