Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heat Related Frequency Drift 6300

2»

Answers

• Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    BTW, Rick, I typically run 20W or so when doing JT-65 unless conditions warrant more power. I never run full power. My SWR is < 1.2:1.
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks, Michael, for the definitive word straight from K1JT-ville. Knowing about the drift compensation, I won't be so put off by the leaning lines on the waterfall and perhaps I'll save five grand, too!

Ben - AE4NT
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Ben, with a TCXO, there will be some frequency drift if the XO is exposed to a sudden increase in temperature, such as when you are transmitting.  

I'd go to the website and fill out Flex Trade-UP! / Trade-IN! Form and see what type of credit you can get for a 6500 +GPSDO
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2016
    Ben, one small positive is that the laptop cooler can run directly from the USB on the f6k. Finally found a practical use for that otherwise dead connector!

• Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    Aha! Thanks, Steve!

Tim, I did that yesterday. I find lots of ways to spend money, but this one might be a stretch. If they have seriously sharpened pencils, I might consider it.

Ben - AE4NT
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Here's a snapshot of Ben's (AE4NT) JT-65 signal on 6m this afternoon. The snapshot is after 30 minutes of watching him work stations....   You can see he's starting to drift...

Cal/N3CAL
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    P.S.
    Can the same be said for JT9?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hehe Ben, that reminds me - I made a deal with the missus to get my flex (the so called lowly 6300) and in return, I remodeled the kitchen, repoured the patio concrete, built a new pergola over it, bought and installed a new spa, and next is remodeling the great room. Looks like I'll have spent 50+ k and a lot of time for a 2500 dollar radio. 

Shoulda at least held out for the 6700.
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    Michael, I'm thinking that a 6700 would have cost you a new house for the distaff approval!

73 de AE4NT
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Why would you want that Ben? Pencils are pretty inexpensive. I suppose Flex could send you a pencil along with the new radio though......
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That seems like more drift than I'd expect. Not world-ending, but still odd. Ben, do you leave power on the rig all the time, or do you shut down the 12V supply when not using the rig? I have a non-GPSDO 6500, and don't see anything remotely like that. Granted, different rig.
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    BTW, the heat situation seems to be significantly worse in the VHF range. I, too, can operate JT65 at higher power levels on lower bands and never hear the high fan.
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    But pencils don't overheat if you subject them to heavy duty cycles. 
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    My 12V supply is always on. It is an Astron RS-70M, which has proven to be quite stable.

The drift is understandably magnified proportional to the frequency, so it is not glaringly obvious on 40M or 80M, for example. I can just begin to see some on 20M and what you see in Cal's screenshot represents the 6M extreme.

Your 6500 is a different rig, but the 10 MHz reference clock stability spec is the same as the 6300, 0.5 ppm. On the 6700, the spec is 0.02 ppm.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ben - AE4NT
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited January 2017
    Well, after opening a support ticket, Tim did some tests with a baseline 6300, and compared his readings with mine when I duplicated the tests here. Conclusions:

1) My 6300 performance was nominal, both case temp and frequency drift.
    2) The laptop cooler recommended by Steve G1XOW didn't have a material effect on the case temp while transmitting, but it cut the recovery time to original ambient temperature during subsequent receive cycle by 50%. So, overall, operation will be cooler with the increased air flow.
    3) You all talked me into doing the Trade-Up deal for the 6500, so I ordered one. Thanks for making me spend the money. I hope you're satisfied now. :)

Tim, as usual hopped right on this and did what he needed to do to make things right. And he didn't try to talk me out of the upgrade.

73 de AE4NT
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ben

I'm guessing 6500 with GPSDO.
    One less thing to worry about adjusting.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Yes  Blame that upgrade on everyone else

BUT we all know you secretly wanted to do it...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.