Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 attenuator lack questions

Options
IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello,

during these summer nights I had more time to do some listening on low bands, mostly on 40 and 80 meters. In a A/B comparison with another Stars and Stripes rig I realized that the use of attenuator could help a lot in the "noise handling battle".
So I am wondering if, in next SSDR releases, 2.0 or higher, also a 6300 rig can have a 10 db attenuator or if are there any technical issues that justify this feature lack.
I have a work-around for this: usually I reduce the AGC- threshold and add AF gain but I don't know if it could be better with a fixed attenuated signal.
Could 6500 and 6700 owners tell about their experience?

Thank you very much and 73
Enzo
iw7dmh

Answers

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree, a straight forward attenuator would be handy, the suggested AGC works to  a point but yes you are right :)
  • Les Tucker K6ZF
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Enzo, Have you tried to move the RF Gain slider control to the far left position?  Go to the ANT option on the far left side of SSDR and click at the "0" position for a Minus 10 Db gain in the RF level.  This works well on my 6700 station.

Les - K6ZF
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have a 6500 and seldom need any attenuation on 160-40 meters. I do use 10 dB gain above 20 meters and 20 dB at 6 meters. All the attenuation would do is lower the noise floor and prevent overloading the receiver, which NEVER happens at my station. Setting the AGC-T has the same effect for me. I thought, however, that the 6300 did have attenuation, as Les K6ZF described. I know that currently the 6300 preamp is actually gain-contoured so that at lower frequencies it doesn't actually provide any gain. (In order to protect the 6300 front end.)
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    At my location with a full wave loop, on my 6500 I use 10 db attenuation below 20 meters at night. I adjust the AGC-T so the noise floor does not trigger it. This makes for much less listening fatigue because, it keeps the band noise to a minimum between dits and dahs and words.  
    I would prefer a 3 step attenuator in 6db increments.

73,   Dan KM6CQ
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

You could use an external step attenuator (MFJ-762, etc.) along with an antenna interface (such as the DXE RTR-1A).  The RTR-1A has other uses, such as letting you add a receive antenna to the 6300. 

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you very much for your feedback.
    I found that 0 db antenna gain is not enough, here in Europe, for 40 and 80 meters. That was the reason I asked for a -10 o -20 db attenuator.
    Actually I don't like very much the idea of an external step attenuator, I would prefer a software extension of 6300 firmware. I could pay for this enhancement and that is the reason I asked for it in SSDR 2.0 or later version.
    I hope Flex designers will provide a "pay-for-feature" in their next software.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    FWIW, the transverter port on the 6300 makes a fine RX antenna port, which I use with my RF PRO-1B loop. I use the same keying relay as the amp, daisy chained together, to switch the preamplifier off during TX. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Enzo, I thought that on the 6300 the slider to the right on the ANT Gain actually is an ATTENUATOR on 40, 60, 75, 80 and 160m. Let me see if I find a reference on the manual....
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here we go, on the Manual for Ver 1.6.21 is on pag. 96.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.