Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New DL8MRE iPad/iPhone APP - at Dayton Flex Dinner

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

With Marcus' permission I will demoing Marcus, (DL8MRE),  New ALPHA version IPad/iPhone App at Dayton Flex Dinner and possibly at the Flex booth.

Since this is an ALPHA stage product, IT WILL NOT BE AN OFFICIAL DEMO but I will have my iPad with me during Cocktail Hour and at my Table if you want to see it...  and I do not want to take away from the Announcements and other Demos at the Flex Dinner...

In many ways it's similar to Stu K6TU app BUT in many ways it's different.

Here are some highlights of the differences:

1. Spots on the display work

2. Snap to frequency selection.  Much easier to tune than K6TU

3. CWX works

4. TNF works

5.  Close emulation of SSDR.  (Good and Bad)

6.  Region Band map on the display ( but USA does not obey the rules)

7.  Works for BOTH iPad and iPhone

The jury is out as to the touch screen emulation as K6TU is more Ipad centric.  So if you are comfortable with the iOS paradigm, K6TU feels more natural than a SSDR emulation.

Each will have people who prefer one operating paradigm  over the other.

It is still an alpha and Marcus needs more testers to find all the bugs

However he is pretty close to having a finished product that might likely be ready by July in Apple App Store

NO HE IS NOT DOING AN ANDROID VERSION...He apparently found that Android is just too difficult to support because there are so many difference in Android versions between devices and manufacturers...

Screen Shot with Menu's and Spots

Screen Shot with Menu Hidden

Comments

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Looking forward to getting a first-hand look at that, Howard.  CU there.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Will this translate over to the Mac line of computers?
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Tell Marcus, I'd be happy to help test.  I'm in 30 year IT developer and a Mac and IOS aficionado.  
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited May 2016
    Hi Philip,

once RadioApp has been released and once I finished a few additional things I like to add to this App later on (e.g. Griffin PowerMate support and a logging feature), I will look into that. I developed RadioApp with this in mind. It has been developed in Swift, and I tried to use no third party library so it will be "just up to me" to get it ported to the Mac. However, even though, it will be a lot of work which is unlikely to be finished this year.

I would be interested to know how many people are interested in a Mac version if this App so everybody who likes to see a Mac Version of my RadioApp, please let me know somehow.

vy 73,
    Marcus, DL8MRE
  • Bob Kozlarek
    Bob Kozlarek Member
    edited June 2020
    Cost? I hope there is no yearly fee because that's what turns me off to Stu's program
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited June 2016
    No, definitely no yearly costs. But I can fully understand Stu as this App requires continuous development a.) Because it always needs to be adapted to the most recent iOS Version and moreover b.) because it needs to be aligned to all the upcoming FlexRadio firmware updates.
    vy 73,
    Marcus, DL8MRE
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    well you can count me in as a Mac version user whenever you manage to get it done..Paul ..K3SF
  • Peter Bacon
    Peter Bacon Member
    edited June 2016
    I would love to see a Mac version.  Peter G3ZSS
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I'm with you - I always pay for support for upgrades, but am reluctant to "rent software" that requires me to "fee the meter" to have the software.

Got caught out on an expiring subscription deal when moving (back from overseas) that was really inconvenient, and consider it a learned lesson.

I'm okay with the N4PY and FRS style where you have to be a support subscriber to get updates/upgrades, but your core software will still run regardless. 

Steve K9ZW

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That is a *very* nice looking adaptation of SSDR for iOS.  Nice work Marcus!

Peter
    K1PGV 
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This looks very promising keep us informed Howard Plz.

Whats the release timeline?

Ian
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Been using it here on the iPad and it has a great feature set. Marcus has done a wonderful job with the development.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I had a chance to see it last night, and I'll be among the first in line for a released version!
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Count me in for a Mac version !
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ken NM9P REPORTED Operated remote from Car/iPhone/VPN/Bluetooth/ hands-free for about three hours of the trip. Worked nicely!
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    is there any educated guesses when it might be available?

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited May 2016
    FINALLY!!! An iPhone version!!   I wondered why K6TU would not do one for an iPhone, but the 6Plus screens are HUGE!  I can understand the trouble with the standard small iphones though.

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I like Marcus's attitude and approach. Nice to see someone who wants to innovate and willing to listen to ideas user suggestions.

An iPhone version is a great idea. Even if I want to ride around in the car and just listen, an iPhone version would be perfect. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Like most any software it will be done when it is done and not before
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    iPhone version works the same as the iPad version. Looks good on the 6+
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Im in for the Mac Version.  2013 iMac i7 and 2014 MacBook Pro i7.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Indeed I have been using the iPhone version as well.. and the ergonomics of it are surprisingly good!  supports both vertical and horizontal orientation. Very impressive.
  • K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I would like to see a mac version as well.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As Howard mentioned, I ran mobile/remote with it for about three hours on the way home from Dayton. Here is the setup..... iPhone 6 running DL8MRE software on Verizon network. Using the Bluetooth hands free in my Chevy Equinox so I could listen on my stereo sound system and use the car's built in mike by the visor. ASUS RT-AC66U VPN router in VPN PPTP mode. flex 6500 via CAT6 and a five port TPlink Gigabit switch in the shack. PstRotator program on my computer to drive the ERC controller on my Yaesu g800DXA rotator (very nice system) using the pstrotator web interface to rotate my log periodic. I have three NEO wifi AC switches (similar to a WiMo, but only about $23) to control switching of the remote turn-on of the flex, and to change antennas (by cutting power to my Ameritron remote antenna switch, giving me the default antenna when power is off, or the beam when power is on.). The third one will eventually control power to the computer and rig power supply. I do not have an amplifier to worry about at this time. I ran about three hours of my 4 1/2 hour drive back from Dayton. Running mostly 20 meters. I made about eight contacts while driving along, using VOX. Mostly on the same frequency. I didn't want to mess with tuning and PTT while driving. Then I stopped for a burger for lunch and turned to the flex net frequency and checked in to the pre-net and net. As luck would have it, I got into a no-cell /marginal cell zone in the middle of the net and lost connection for 25 minutes. Partly loss of signal, partly due to the dropping of the VPN after losing signal, then the rig staying "connected" to the old VPN connection even after I re-established the VPN connection. I was required to pull over and issue reset/reboot commands to the 6500 and wait for reset, which took several times because the spotty cell connection gave inconsistent commands for a time. After things finally reset, I was back on the air for the final 20 minutes of the trip, but had missed the rest of the net. All in all, other than problems caused by poor cell coverage in the Southern Indiana hill country, things worked admirably for an Alpha version of the software. This was my first attempt with any software on my iPhone, except about five or ten minutes in a parking lot using Parallels Access to run SSDR remotely. It was my first mobile VPN op using my cell phone. Lots of fun on the horizon! Ken -NM9P
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I have also used the iPhone version on my 6+.  It works great!
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited January 2020
    This is fantastic Ken.

Thanks for the description. 

I also found my added VOX feature working surprising well. I found it even kind of funny to walk around with my iPhone, having some QSOs which for other look like I am talking to somebody via Cell on a regular phone call.

The Mike features will even get better with my next release were I fixed the low Mike gain and level gauge issue. 

I will be fixing and adding some missing features today and possibly tomorrow and will release another update soon. 

Thanks for all your testing guys and your positive feedback. 

vy 73, Marcus, DL8MRE
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • KD4HSO
    KD4HSO Member
    edited February 2017
    Looking forward to this, specifically for iPhone support.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Greetings from Paris Spent most of the last week or so trailing my XYL thru every shoe store in Paris. Been working my station remote in San Diego via DL8MRE iPhone Version. Pretty awesome as I no longer need to schlep an iPad with me when she goes shopping. Great way to **** shoe shopping boredom. I also found that the app can be used as a control surface when another SSDR client has control of the station.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Drop me a line for a possible schedule...iPhone remote to iPhone remote!
    Have a great time in Paris!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.