Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

W1GLV Shack

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Looking nice!!!
    What about placing the Maestro just behind of the keyboard... there seems to be  space there....
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Nicely done!

N4GA
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Far too clean
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    "Everybody can handle order, but only a genius can master chaos"
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mine is busy chaos. image
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    lol
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry about that Howard.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sal, when contesting the Maestro is behind the keyboard.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    There was a better picture Howard showed of his homemade shelves a year of or ago. Yes,they are very impressive.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    The world seems to be composer of visible cables and no-visible cables.  Guess where I fit.  The boss is behind the middle monitor. :)
    It doesn't seem to matter what I do the image persists in being upside down.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Try one more time to get the image up rite. There, finally
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I really like the 3 monitor setup! My next purchase is a 50inch 4k.... ;)
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The cat did it  - VBG
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I sprang for two 42in 4K units and it is too much screen for the seat-to-screen distance. 

With the very large screens I though any moment I would see info come up on flight Arrivals and Departures!!

My error.  More is not always better than the right amount.

Switching back to the two 22 inch flanking just one 42in 4K and duplicating the setup at the Island with the two 20 inch I first had flanking the other 42in 4K.

Steve K9ZW

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

My ham Shack is in a constant state of flux as I continually add and remove equipment that I use as my interests and desires evolve.  So a conventional fixed in place equipment desk just does not work for me.  One of the issues I run into is that different equipment has different sizes and shapes so replacing one for another requires the ability to change the heights of the different shelves. 

Further since everything has power and antenna cables it is best to leave the frame open so that cables can easily be routed where they need to go. At the same time, it is important to be able to pass the XYL neatness test so I found that routing cables down the support posts kept things neat

THE STACKS

The construction of the stacks is incredibly simple.  All materials came from Home Depot.   All metal parts are 1/2" stainless steel.  A bit more expensive but they continue to look good for years. 

A stack consists of 4 only 1/2" threaded stainless steel rods. I used 2' and 3' rods depending on the stack.  The shelves are 12" wide shelving.  You choose the color. You can also buy colored iron-on strips to hide saw cuts. 

I cut the shelves into 12"x12'' pieces. (Home Depot will cut them for you).   I then clamped 6 pieces (6 Stack) together and drilled a 9/16" hole in each of the 4 corners.  Clamping is necessary to make sure all the holes line up. 

I used 1/2" stainless steel nuts and washers to set the different heights.  Frankly the hardest part of the construction is the spinning of the nuts to right heights.   I got one of my grandkids to do it.   

The advantage of the design is that it is very easy to adjust heights of the shelves.   It is very easy to adjust the height to level each  shelf   For feet I used stick on felt pads onto washers which in turn I crazy glued to a nut.  For tops I used plastic caps. Also from Home Depot.  On top of being flexible, It turns out to be a very strong and stable design 

Here is a 2' -6 shelf VHF/UHF Stack

The stack behind the monitor is a 3' high 2 shelf stack X 24" that holds all the different speakers for the various radios. 

This is a 2' -4shelf X 1' stack for rotor:controls, SteppIR controls and 4 wattmeters.

Overview... Never as clean as when this was taken

Under view

Battery power, power supplies and linear amplifiers 

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I also went the 3 monitor route, shown here in normal CW configuration.  The right hand 19" is alternatively used with DM780 for RTTY.  Left monitor is dedicated to HRD Logbook.  There's a Toshiba laptop out of view to the right that is my web-browsing/e-mail computer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.