Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IC7300

Peter Bentley
Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
edited October 2020 in Amateur Radio Interests

I have just bought a new IC7300, really just for curiosity.

I am now selling an IC7300...

There is no doubt it is very good value for money if you want an SDR with knobs.

The recovered SSB audio is excellent

The transmit audio is outstanding even with the fist mic supplied (FlexRadio take note...)

Its a very quiet radio until you get into the real weak signals and it is in this area that you quickly see, that it is not in the same class as the 6700. But then that's what we should expect and are happy to pay the money for in the Flex, plus a host of other things.

Will be interesting to see what Yaesu do in response.

G4BIM

Tagged:

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for your review Peter.  I was curious about the 7300's performance (although not curious enough to buy one).  Since I bought my 6700 my ICOM 7800 doesn't get turned on anymore.  I really should see about selling it. 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

I am interested in how it is remoted. Does one need a local client computer and a CIV cable or is it remotable over Ethernet? If it is remotable, does it include IQ data for panoramic display on the client computer? Can it be remoted over a WAN? If so, what is remotable?

Jim, K6QE

• SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2017
    Not sure how owning the 7300 for such a short time can be a good review of this radio. Also how can you compare a $1500 radio to a $7500 radio. Don't discount this radio yet. 
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    image I, too, thought of purchasing also just out of "curiosity"...I decided against it R/T the fact that the radio has only USB interface & CIV.  I thought that Icom really blew it with this radio!  It could have been a success with LAN/ethernet...USB was a really dumb choice also w/o any method for external display of the panoramic display, as least not right now...However, I have the best, Flex-6700!  de W3DCB  Danielimage

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Similarly, 'real weak signal work', would that be sub noise floor, EME, or a 4 by 4 dx station in the South Pacific? Sounds like a great review vs the 'nothing can ever beat a Flex, ever' bashing so often heard on this forum. I concur on the flaw in comparing a $1500 anything to a $7500 anything. It's priced comparably to a Maestro and is a complete radio. Somebody, I think it was Sal, commented on its remoting and, to my recollection, yes it can via the ICOM remoting software. On second thought,, it might have been Barry.
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016

Hi Steve, I have been reviewing radios for nearly 50 years, you get to know how it is very quickly.

There is no problem comparing Ford to Audi, its just sometimes the contrast is not as wide as you might expect and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Icom are not ****, if you want all the extra bits like LAN/Ethernet and external HDMI display, then you wait and buy the next generation of the 7700/7800 etc.

Thanks for your comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Peter I think the things you said are ok, to me. What you said was, Good value for the money, SSB is very good. supplied mic worked good, things get noisy with weak signals. As I read it I think you were using the 6700 as the benchmark that's all. I don't know what the others are going on about,,,lol
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Selling it, enough said.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It seems that there is a bit of inacurate information in this thread. Download the RS-BA1 Icom Remote software brochure using the link below to learn how it displays the spectrum & waterfall from a 7300 on your PC & allows WAN remote control of the 7300.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/downloa...
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    An audio or video recording showing the A/B comparison of the IC-7300 vs Flex 6K tuned to the same weak signal would be very helpful.  I don't necessarily think the radios should differ that much in this performance respect.  Were the gain setups optimized on both radios  (AGC, preamp, etc) and similar passband adjustment?

73, Barry N1EU
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Well, comparing a nice Flex 6700 to an Icom IC-7300 is an apples to oranges comparison, IMHO. For instance, in my particular case, I will be mounting my IC-7300 in my Merc G550 SUV, using either the Icom AH-740 or AH-760 autocoupler antenna systems, I own both antenna sysytems, and plan to see which one performs better in a mobile environment. Not really very realistic to stick a Flex 6700, a PC, and a monitor screen into my G550. BTW, as to "comparisons," my brother owns a 6700, as well as an IC-7850, plus he should be receiving his IC-7300 tomorrow, when UPS arrives. He plans to do an A/B/C comparison, albeit he is the first to admit this is an "unfair" test!

JM2C, IMHO, and YMMV!

Br,

Larry

WA7LZO/WR7DV

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    When did they start selling them in the US?
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This week.
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    image You are correct...I forgot the software display/remote control software which I use with my 7800s...My point was more regarding the use of USB interfacing.  I do not know the cost of manufacture...But, it would seem that for just a few extra dollars, an LAN interface would have made the 7300 radio a home-run.  Thus far, USB LAN servers are not very good and LAN/ethernet access is the future.  USB is generally not used in the business/commercial/industrial world or applications for good reason.  USB plugs wear out with repeated use (It doesn't take much repeated use either!...I have several computers that I use for work which I bring with me to several satellite offices.  I went w/wireless USB devices in order to avoid having to repeatedly plug & unplug USB head-sets, etc., for dictation of medical notes, etc., as these plugs wear out after just a few weeks and require replacement.  I now "permanently" plug in a wire-less USB device/connection and leave them to avoid this.) just to mention only one draw-back to USB...A USB plug is essentially a small piece of circuit board with a few foil pads making contact with a spring-loaded contact against the foil pads.  USB is considered a home-grade device, not an industrial or commecrcial-grade device which is why Serial is still used in industry & business, although ethernet/LAN interfacing is quickly replacing serial interfacing.  Eltima sells a remote USB Server application to make USB devices accessible via the LAN to other computers in the LAN.  The lic. is VERY expensive, however, and in the end the application does not work with this type of device...It is fine for printer data or drives, but not much else.  The inclusion of an LAN interface would have made this radio a real hit for the money.  I do not believe that it would have added more than a few dollars to the cost.  Lets face it, the 7300 is a hobby-grade radio and not in the same league as my Flex-6700.  However, the price is quite reasonable for what is received!  Never-the-less, my point was only that ethernet/LAN would have made this radio a true hit.  Just my opinion.  I may be proved wrong!  de W3DCB Daniel  73!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    First, this IS a hobby, not a commercial or defense department mission critical application. I believe, since I do not have one, the USB is used for the same purpose Elecraft uses it on the K3s, read it in brochure, that is as a single conduit for audio (digital audio for the digital mode software running on the PC, as well as command and control to/from software on the PC. As for the sturdiness of USB, have you taken a close look at an RJ-45? Me thinks thou protest too much. As for same league, it's a fraction of the price, not built in the US by US workers. Not made in Austin TX. Of course it's not in the same league, nobody is claiming it is. But resorting to USB connectors vs RJ-45 connectors is really struggling to convince yourself they aren't in the same league.
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2016
    Larry, would love to see a photo or two of the IC-7300 mounted in your MB. Most cars nowadays don't have enough space to mount anything without a remote head. The G550 is out of my price range, but it would still be interesting to see how the rig fits.

Jack - WA2OLZ
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Barry, I am certain Rob Sherwood will get around to reviewing it from the technical perspective, as will, I bet, ARRL labs.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    MDS is a good measurement but my experience is that some rigs render weak signals more readable than others independent of their MDS measurement.  In other words, I might hear a weak SSB signal on two radios but the actual speech is clearly more understandable on one of the radios.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I, certainly, don't know where it would land. I think what sort of goes on in my head, sort of floats around, is the notion of 'good enough' . I've pretty much disabused myself of the notion hams are cheap. I think a healthy percentage will pay inordinate sums of money for bragging rites, the $14,000 transceiver pushing a $300 antenna using rg58 vs. the $1600 transceiver pushing a 5-ele mono feed by rg8 or rg213 at 55'. Some of the comments in this thread are ever so interesting.
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Even when one man will so endeavor to be detailed & specific in his written or spoken communications, be it just an on-line post about ham radio hobby or regarding something of great import, few seem to understand what is actually said or written...Most of what I just typed was repeated in your response to me...just re-stated in a challenging straw-man style...It illustrates just how difficult it is for us human beings to communicate with one another.  In my area of work, medicine, we try to encourage (read strongly insist, LOL!) that patients come in to the office for follow-up appointments; even when it is "just" or "merely" (from many patients' point of view) to review lab data, etc.  So many will believe that the oft resented follow-up appointment is only an unnecessary inconvenience scheduled to make an extra buck or two, while in truth, these follow-up appointments represent loss to most practices!  However, without that face-to-face communication, very often what is said is entirely misunderstood...This occurs even when there is the opportunity for the face-to-face...so much more so when that opportunity is lost!

It is just fun to peruse & observe the posts & responses from day to day, not just in this forum, but in any area of human endeavor...Most people talk past each other.  A common method of human communications is to set up the straw-man argument of the obvious premise, most of which is likely accepted by both parties, but worded in such a manor that seems to demonstrate that the other fellow disagrees, and then argue against the other fellow for not accepting the obvious!  Many times people, me included, will post and be answered with this technique.  I am certainly guilty myself, although I try to be on a sharp lookout for It...It is, however, a fun study of human communications & behavior...This is not a critical remark, just an observation of how difficult it seems for us imperfect humans to communicate with each other...even when we speak the same language and arrive with similar skill-sets & perspective...It is always fun to observe just how little we actually hear each other.  73 OM de W3DCB  Daniel
  • John Leonard
    John Leonard Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I spoke with 2 different Hams that had just gotten their 7300s on the air this past weekend. Factory mic..... factory settings and the audio was GREAT from both stations... IMO this is going to be a boost to the overall interest in SDR in general. I see that a a good thing.

John  KK4FZI
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I wonder if the Anan guys will jump all over it, if it does not have pure signal?
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

My brother and I also received our 7300's last Friday, and we can both attest to the outstanding performance of this inexpensive little gem. $ for $, I don't see how it can be beat, by anyone, at this point (Hello, Kenwood and Yaesu? Wakeup, please!). Jim owns an Icom 7851, Flex 6700, and now the 7300. I was about to pull the trigger on a nice 6700, but comparing $9k to $1.5k? I think we are experiencing a huge shift in ham radio competition here. No, the 7300 ain't no outstanding Flex 6700, but I can think of a few other things to do with the spare $7k+ saved, like a new antenna, amplifier, oil change on my G550, etc. I love the Flex. But wow, as Icom launches additional SDR's in their uplifted series, as things progress, and prices them accordingly, it will be great. As Jim mentioned, it is very handy not having to fool with the mess of running a PC to play ham radio. Everything is fully self contained in the 7300 (except for the PS-126 switcher, of course). As The Donald might utter, this is simply called the "Economics of Beautiful Capitalism!"

PS - Sorry to stray from pure Flex subjects, but this little box is a true SDR breakthrough, at least in so far as price/performance ratios!

Larry

WA7LZO/WR7DV

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    hehehehe  excellent comment

73  W9OY
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    SDR's are phasing radios.  Phasing radios always sound great.  I almost pulled the trigger on one of these but after looking at the design concept I decided it's pretty much my IC-735 with software innards and good fiters... and after a week I would never turn it on, just like my IC-735.  I think Icom is going to sell a bunch of these, which will whet the apatite to move further up the SDR food chain.

73  W9OY
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Or that it's cheap, in addition to being inexpensive. Many, dare I say most, of us have a tendency to ascribe an object's worth in terms of its expense. I agree with Lee, that was a pretty humorous observation Bill.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I watched a TV program once (Dr. Phil, probably) that had some guy on it that was bragging that he always paid full price when he bought a new luxury car or other major purchase because he felt that it would make him look "cheap" to bargain for a better price.  In his arrogance, and the false sense of value he got from his ostentatious display affluence, he was constantly throwing money down the drain and looking rather foolish in the process.

Indeed, when we equate price with value, we deceive ourselves.  

On the other hand, there is often a limit to frugality.  Sometimes we can be so cheap that we waste money by purchasing poor quality items that break or wear out and must be replaced so often that they actually cost more to own than if one had bought better quality in the first place.  (Cheap hand tools, for example, or cheap coax!)

I am sure that the 7300 will be much better than a "Cheap hand tool" for many hams.  It will be better than many have ever had.  I doubt that it will be competitive with the 6500/6700 in many categories, but for many hams it will be "good enough."

It will not be good enough for other situations that demand higher performance.  But this is why companies have many different levels of equipment.  

If I had the available financial reserves, I would probably like to play with one and evaluate it as a mobile, portable, RV-ing, or backup rig.  It looks to be at a nice price point, similar to the Kenwood 590 and others in that category.

Indeed, I wonder what the Big Four have in store for additional models at other performance levels?  The competition is going to be fun.  It is a great time to be a Ham!
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    As I previously mentioned, my 7300 will soon be permanently mounted in my SUV. A lot nicer option that will replace my 7100 (as much as I like the latter, too). We'll see what The Boys at Icom do, as the 7851/50 gets replaced with their high end SDR venture. To some degree, the 7300 is throw away technology, allowing one to hold off a bit for the best. With no PC required, of course. I have used the 6700 extensively, and I just can't get over the **** of needing a PC. OK for some, but not everyone.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I would suppose if your putting the radio in an SUV or something, or taking it were a PC would not work so well, tethering to a computer is not so good. But a computer is just another peace to the shack now days. Many use digital communications, so a computer is needed for logging and many other digital software. Having SSDR running on a computer is never a thought.

Even with the 7300 or an upscale SDR without the need for a computer, what do you run all the 3rd party software on. Digital modes?
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

I think we are starting to beat a dead horse here, with something that is really a matter of personal choice/opinion.

While I expressed my personal dislike to have to be tethered to a PC to run an HF SDR radio, some folks are coming back expressing why my personal opinion is bunk, by their personal way of thinking, and in their personal opinion. The mandatory need for the use of an external PC to operate an SDR radio, vs/ operating an SDR rig with knobs and buttons, sans any need for an external PC, is an extremly personal matter and choice, so one really can't declare "edicts" on this.

For me personally, I don't like to have to run a PC to use my Ham radio. I talk to guys all the time on dstar who are using ID-51's 5 feet away from their raspberry pie, tethered to their 4G LTE cell phone. If this is the case, why not just make a full duplex, clear as a bell cell phone call, with no minutes of use charges for mobile-to-mobile chats (e.g., as Bernie would say, "free"), or better yet, use Facetime on one's iPhone with video?

Please, now, no flames.

JM2C, IMHO, and YMMDV!

Larry

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.