Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 taking control of dax

Trevor-EI2GLB
Trevor-EI2GLB Member
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi All I have built up a new i5 PC to use with my 6500 i have it up and running on windows 10 an issue I have is I have no speakers or mic connected to the PC but its using the flex's DAX ports as both speakers and mic in, I'm only setting up everything so unsure what hassle this will cause me but has anyone seen this and is there anyway to stop windows assigning DAX for it use, Thanks Trevor EI2GLB

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is no way I have found to prevent this behavior by Windows.  This is one of those features they implemented to make using sound devices easier.  And for the basic user with one sound card and speakers and/or a mic connected, it does make it easier.  For systems with multiple sound devices, not so much.

Since every motherboard comes with an embedded sound card these days, I just leave a cheap PC headset connected which is defined as the default recording and playback device.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Trevor, you may take a look in the BIOS... with some motherboards you have the ability to disable the onboard sound device.  Some you can some you can't but you might give that a try and see if it helps.

Good luck

David
    KK4QOE
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This will not work.  Windows will only see the DAX drivers and make one of them the default Recording and Playback devices.  The intent is to prevent any of the DAX drivers in becoming one of the defaults.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    good to know.. thanks Tim
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    And for the record, this is one "feature" of Windows that I would love to be able to turn off.  It has caused grief for support for years when Windows grabs virtual sound devices like DAX and VAC used with PowerSDR.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Amen!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.