Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Amp Suggestions

Answers

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I think an AL80B is the best **** for the buck amp in America.  With a 43ft vert you likely will need a KW tuner also.   

73  W9OY
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yep... I'm admiring my Alpha 374 sitting across the desk. With  'Bandpass" or manual tuning options.  Never thought of it as an "autotuner" but in reality I guess it is.  Must have been a Gem in 1974   Still a keeper !
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Mine was the Export Version with 3 tubes. 3KW. Could not be sold in the USA. So I did **** Ernhorn a favor at Dayton 1974 by exporting it out if the USA so he would not have to return it to the factory to remove a tube so it would be USA legal.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    SPE USA. Is http://expertlinears.com now. Very much alive.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    A SMart Cart Costa a lot less than a real car, runs on regular and can almost hit the speed limit. But I still can't imagine owning one.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Now Howard, are you implying that some hams run more than the legal limit? Have you removed the tags from your pillows?
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    A nice DX-3SP from Emtron in Sidney will not let you down.  Even though it will do 4KW CW, you would, of course, reduce the power to meet legal limits.  And the tubes would last a long time (smirk).

Just make sure your dipole is made from #8 wire as a minimum .   #2 would be better . . . . 
    If you hear them, you will work them . . .

Cheers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    It's very nice to have lots of headroom when running 100% duty cycle modes. But for me at least it's no fun or challenge winning anything by cheating
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ok, so I went shopping and looked lots at Hamcation.. now here is the question.. of the amps you guys listed how many will work on the MARS frequencies... i.e. outside of the HAM bands???  I know that the Elecraft will out of the box (asked and confirmed), the Expert Amps will with mods (they only suggest the big boy 2K-FA), others just flat say NO..

David
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    My home brew LDMOS will TX anywhere with no tuning. 1-60Mhz, at least.

:)
  • Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Reference driving your pw1 from 6700, have you managed to interface with its CIV for automatic band switching of the PW1?
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Walt, I'm seriously considering this combo.. KPA-500 and KAT-100... I've heard nothing but good things about elecraft in general, I dont have to mod the amp for MARS operation, not sure I need 2 bagillion watts been happy with 100 or less up till this point and once in a while needing a little extra boost.. 

I've considered several:
    1) ACOM600S
    2) Elecraft KPA-500/KAT-100 combo
    3) Expert 2K-FA (only real option from them)
    4) ACOM 1000

Decisions decisions.. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I used to with DDUTIL. But have a 2K-FA now
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Yes LDMOS the only RF transistor that I know of that you can Directly short out and not damage the transistor!

This Transistor is going to be the future for HF RF Amplifiers. I’ll bet this is the transistor that flex will be using in the up and coming HF Amp I Hope.

1200W from one device!!!!

Don’t believe me then watch this video.

73, KC2QMA

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Here's my build. 

Unbelievable performance. And not just because I built it. I've built many things that went right into the garbage. :)
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

There are some rumors floating around out there that Ameritron may be coming out with a full legal limit HF amp using 2 of these devices. And they only cost between $200-$300 Each.  I believe there is now a 1400W version available.

This transistor makes Tube based RF power Obsolete.

BTW Nice build Rob!

73'KC2QMA
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks John. I'm looking at much nicer enclosures now. I'm a function over form guy but the function is now proven, so nothing wrong with improving the form at this point.
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I built a two module blf188xr amp that covers 160 through 54 MHz. It has complete filtering, protection for wrong band selection and antenna swr. It has auto or manual band selection with BCD circuitry that works with ddutil or other band selection input. Also, ALC feedback to flex, control board functions. It is totally remoteable as well. I have some photos on qrz. I built this from kits purchased from W6PQL. The amp is well protected, I did add a different method for selection of auto /manual band selection of filtering. W6PQL offers many kits or completed units.

73's
    Joe
    WD5Y Rob, Looked at your build really looks great! I am attaching a photo of my build. 73's Joe WD5Yimage
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Yes James W6PQL is a genius. I wonder what his legal limit amp cost as a kit or assembled?

Since these devices only require 50V  and run extremely cool My guess is in the future we will see a Transceiver with one of these built in! Imagine a Flex 7000 series with 1200W built right in. Well we can dream can’t we? ;)

Looking Good Joe

73’KC2QMA

• Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    W6PQL just came out with a transverter control unit for the flex, looks good. I believe a one module amp is around $3,000 built. I plan to put more photos on my qrz page when possible. I actually worked on the amp for approximately five to six months on and off. I did upgrade the combiner and directional coupler circuits (load protection circuits before and after LPF filtering), this was beefed up even more. The ALC works very good with the flex. Thanks, Joe WD5Y
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Joe - nice amp! Send me an email or txt if you would. Want to ask you a few questions. rob.mccance@gmail.com or 7703667535

Thank you
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Jim.. want to speak with you more regarding the elecraft amp..

Look me up on qrz and send me an e-mail please... KK4QOE

Basically am looking at the KPA-500 and the KAT-500.. I run DDutil and am curious if it will setup to follow the radio.. i.e. band change, auto tune, etc....
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited February 2016
    David, same setup. The KPA/KAT 500. With ddutil it's like having a 500w rig, auto antenna switching no tune. Works great when I'm running remote which was a big get for me. Full 500w out for digi (think RTTY and FSK441/JTMSK. PULL THE TRIGGER!
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks rob.. ordered the kat500 first to test with but this sounds promising
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ya know, a vertical radiates equally poor in all directions, instead of an amp have you thought about a beam antenna that would boost your ERP and work equally well on boosting your receive signal? 
    http://www.k4kio.com/hexbeam-vs-vertical/
    73, Dave KD5FX

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    which hex beam covers mars freqs?

73  W9OY
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Dave, unfortunately I'm stuck... HOA, need I say more??  I have been lucky to this point with a 43' flag pole in the back corner of my yard with no flag on it...

Lee there is a new hex out that covers through 160 meters.. it's HUGE, 21 or 22' across I believe.. saw it at hamcation, they say it will cover MARS frequencies
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dave & Lee,
    Two of my HexLock  customers the 160-10 hexbeam.  Pictures and a link to the vendors page here:

http://www.nn4zz.com/hexlock%20customer%20pictures.html

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.21.77
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.21.159
    Win10

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Trigger pulled... :-)
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    All, just wanted to say thank you for all the suggestion's... I shopped and researched and finally decided on the Elecraft KAT-500 KPA-500 combination.

I can report at this time everything is together and working better then expected.  First call replies are now the norm.

Thanks Again

David
    KK4QOE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.